After 3 years, is Fallout 3 still one of the best?

GrayK

Do you consider Fallout 3 one of the best games for current consoles?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider Fallout 3 one of the best games for current consoles?

• Fallout 3 is still today the best game I have ever played on a 7th generation console
    • Fallout 3 is one of the best games along with GTA iv and metal gear solid 4
    • Fallout 3 was good, but it's a huge stretch to consider it one of the best games ever.
    • Played Fallout 3 and I did not like it either because I sucked at it or I thought it was terrible
    • I have never played Fallout 3.

I originally picked up the game over 2 years ago, one of the few games I ever paid full price new for. Popped it in just to test out the disc and to just "try it out", next thing I know it's 6am and I'm supposed to be getting up for work.

I had to put it away, or else I never would have slept again. I just got completely enthralled and just kept going.

Actually perma-loaned that copy to a buddy, which is probably now wandering the world with his army unit.

Anyhow, borrowed my brothers regular edition copy recently, dipped back in and have already put about 20 hours back into it. And I've barely left the Megaton area. I'm definitely going to get the GOTY edition at some point, which is cheaper than buying all the DLC through the marketplace.

That even just wandering around a desolated wasteland is so intriguing, picking up and throwing tin cans, just poking my nose into derelict buildings hoping to not get blown up by traps, I've barely even touched the quests and am truly enjoying it.

One thing that struck me just last night, how vivid the sunrise and sunset transitions are. It's quite spectacular and outside the Red Dead Redemption day/night cycling haven't seen anything that can quite match it. I stood there for a few minutes and just watched the sun come up.

I think this game is pretty special.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets just say hell ya i'm got 446hrs on my good save and 326hrs on my bad save and still got LOADS more to do finished 1st 1000 finished guns and last bit of pit to do and got other dlcs to do and i think i have the cleanest fallout3 pick up everything i could its all in my house at megaton (good) tenpenny towers (bad) so ya best game ever i think :uzi:

• 2 weeks later...

Bethesda need to get all the key staff from Fallout3+DLC's & ensure they are currently creating a Fallout4 which is comparable to Fallout3 using the new Skyrim engine. If they are dumb Bethesda will use the much cheaper option of going with Obsidian which would be an instant no sale from me.....ever even at budget price!!

FNV was just about a passable Fallout3 DLC but most certainly not a full price Fallout game!! What were Bethesda thinking (apart from making $$$$ for nothing FNV was only developed between Dec 2009-Sept 2010 & it shows badly.....).

In my opinion after three hours or so play I became bored of this game. Quite boring, I prefer fable or even morrowwind to this game.

Before you start hating I am playing ninja gaiden 2, a real game!

If you are a linear type of player, such as somebody who thinks the Call of Duty series is amazing, then you probably won't like the Fallouts.

Extremely in-depth games aren't for everyone, and I also love the Fables.

If you are a linear type of player, such as somebody who thinks the Call of Duty series is amazing, then you probably won't like the Fallouts.

Extremely in-depth games aren't for everyone, and I also love the Fables.

I am not a linear type of player, yes I do like my Call of Duty Series but hey I still have my original halo, fable and morrowind games, oh and robotron 2084 -need a lot of patience for that game!

I still have my fallout 3 games and maybe I will give it another three hours play to get into it. At the moment it is at the bottom of my game pile behind the likes of stormrise and viva piñata (that came free with my Xbox)

My favourite RPG game so far is fable as it was extremely easy to get into.

I am also having a crack at assassin’s creed; it also took a few hours to get into.

GTA IV and MGS??

Fallout is one of the best, but I can´t vote since you made that compare. Reaaally different games.

/signed

GTA4 was a great game too, but total different genre and hardly to compare. MGS? Not my cup of tea.

• 8 months later...

Ohhhh the nostalgia. I had never even heard of Fallout before a close friend of my recommended 3 to me. The closest I had gotten to an RPG beforehand was probably Final Fantasy, particularly XII which was a lot more open than previous ones. I was really iffy about, but in the end decided 'why not' and picked it up at Gamestop a few months after its release. I was hooked from Day 1. :] Especially with Liam Neeson (per usual) playing the daddy figure.

Just like anyone else it took over my life entirely, and I completely conquered it, achievements and all. Anyone else that played, I could tell them where anything and everything was, cause I practically had it memorized. XD These days though probably not cause I haven't played it in over a year. Been thinking about replaying though for memory's sake.

I still remember when I first started playing and I absolutely DREADED running into a Deathclaw. I was terrified of them and when I finally explored areas where they roamed it was a moment of sheer terror, in an enjoyable way. I commend Bethesda for creating a such a fear-inducing creature.

I can't wait to see what they have planned for FO4, and I couldn't be happier that the series is back in their hands after Obsidian's mess (ie - New Vegas).

While this poll has the BIAS of people submitting to it who are playing it (which is why they are in this thread), I can understand the percentage leading towards...yes best game ever

HOWEVER, this game is DEFINITELY NOT one of the BEST GAMES EVER...I love this game, but I can easily rattle of 50 games on top of it (in the sense of creating a franchise, or simply better)

Final Fantasy VII, Call of Duty Classic, Super Mario Bros, 2, 3, 64, Final Fantasy IV, Halo 1,3, Track and Field, Contra, Galaga, Pac Mac, Mrs. Pac Man, Metal Gear Solid, Twisted Metal 2, FIFA, Madden, Lost Odyssey, Metroid, Metroid Prime, Punch-Out, Zelda I, II, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Dunk Hunt, Age of Empires II, Starcraft, Warcraft Orcs vs. Humans, Warcraft II, Tetris, Donkey Kong Country, The Secret of Monkey Island, Mortal Kombat 3, Gran Turismo 2, Half Life 2, Chrono Cross, Sonic 1, 2, 3, Prince of Persia, Counter-Strike, Tetris, Doom II, Duke Nukem, Sim City 2000, Mario Kart 64, Diablo, Mega-Man, World of Warcraft, Portal, Resident Evil 2, Grand Theft Auto III, Streets of Rage, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade, Area 51 Arcade, Street Fighter II, Chrono Trigger, Grand Theft Auto IV..BLAH BLAH ...

I feel I could go on and on here with classics and equals...

I'm sorry, don't get me wrong I LOVE FALLOUT 3, but to consider it one of the greatest of all time is a slap in the face to many of the better games and games that made the industry what it is today. Fallout 3 is SIMPLY Morrowind with a better story, better graphics, better leveling up system, and a more appealing environment...it is nothing that hasnt been done before

BEFORE PEOPLE DESTROY MY POST:

I misread the voting as it says best of 7th generation consoles, and I must agree that it is in my top 10 for xbox 360 and ps3 games.

However, I leave my original post just for purpose...do not get blinded by todays games to forget where they come from

Edited by xxDAMRONxx