After 3 years, is Fallout 3 still one of the best?

GrayK

Do you consider Fallout 3 one of the best games for current consoles?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider Fallout 3 one of the best games for current consoles?

• Fallout 3 is still today the best game I have ever played on a 7th generation console
    • Fallout 3 is one of the best games along with GTA iv and metal gear solid 4
    • Fallout 3 was good, but it's a huge stretch to consider it one of the best games ever.
    • Played Fallout 3 and I did not like it either because I sucked at it or I thought it was terrible
    • I have never played Fallout 3.

There is a lot about Fallout 3 that I can enjoy. The vast exploration, wide variety of weapons, hundreds of quests, karma biting you in the backside and even additional DLC can make the game fun, but my only quirks are simply immersion. I can get bored and sick of the game really quickly from simply wandering aimlessly and getting clean head shots on enemies, watching them survive it and laugh it off. Even with a close range shotgun, the difficulty just isn't balanced on the hardest mode since my armour feels like a layer of tissue and they can feel like a tank even in rags.

If there was just some way to change it so that headshots instakill regardless of difficulty or weapon, also taking into account current headgear, it would be a more fun game.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easily one of the best games I've ever played. The freedom, the Fallout universe, the atmosphere, the quests and and ... . It's just genius, what Bethesda created here and I've spent lots of hours and will spend even more.

However, your poll is kinda not well chosen.

Definetly one of the best games I have ever played. The first time I played it, I wasn't a fan for some reason. But I went back to it after about a month and couldn't put it down. The amount of content in it is great and the DLC is terrific too. Really well supported,. Much better than New Vegas I think. It doesn't help they haven't really changed the graphics. Some of those face models give me nightmares.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

great game for sure, I admit though that the 1st time I played Fallout 3, I didn't like it, started playing other games, then one year later decided to give in a second shot and I was hooked, I had tp get deeper in the story to really like this game, once you are out of the vault and figure out what to do, finding those quests etc... it's an amazing game

But imo, Skyrim is better now! I would even dare to say Dead space is better or at least equal (the 1st Dead space, not the second)

• 2 weeks later...

It is definitely one of the best games I have ever played. It has some issues like limited armor, capped skills, and it's fair share of glitches but it is still one of the greatest games ever. If it had a loot system like diablo 2 and a quest system like skyrim it would be the best game ever.

I really don't think it's the best anymore. I had a fantastic time with it but it has a lot of flaws.

-There are very few unique feeling locations. Most are just copy and paste warehouses, subway systems etc. It's unfair that NV gets so much flak for the supposed lack of exploration but the 4 DLC's more than made up for this whilst the main game felt more like a proper wasteland where most locations are abandoned and stripped of most valuable loot rather than being merely dungeons full of loot and every location isn't overflowing with enemies. The Capital Wastes feel like a theme park of dungeons whilst the Mojave feels like a proper wasteland.

-The writing is pretty bad. The main quest is a blatant mash up of the plots of 1 and 2, complete with factions with no reason to be on the east coast and you are forced to help the BoS. There are many inconsistencies with the lore and an abundance of plot holes and the story ends when a big robot magically gets fixed up and kills the Enclave. The writing often feels melodramatic and wooden and at it's worst can be insultingly simple e.g "[intelligence] Ah, so you fight the good fight with your voice" (the player speaking to Three Dog).

-The RPG mechanics are very watered down (SPECIAL is very inconsequential, it doesn't define your character like in the other fallout games, it just makes you a little bit better at some things than others) and take a back seat to the the shooting most of the time except when it comes to the perks and leveling system where the copious skill points and perk-a-level mean you end up as an unbalanced demigod with most stats at 100 when you hit the level cap. To make matters worse, many perks are rather poor "x skill points to skill y" perks which are rather pointless which means there is a rather small list of decent perks to take. The end result of all this is that when my character and your character hit the lvl cap, how unique will they both be? Not very.

These are my main problems with the game now. I still loved playing the game but I think it's nowadays held in unreasonably high regard at times and the old rose-tinted glasses hide the games flaws.

• 1 month later...

Fell in love with it first go around and many times after it I hate RPGS yet love Fallout Ironic yes. New Vegas wasn't as good as 3 I think. It felt like a giant DLC to Fallout 3. That and New Vegas's area was so poor Nevada is basicly a desert who wants to explore a post apocalyptic desert Not me. New Vegas should have been called New California and it set it New California that would have been better Def one of my favorite games of all time.

Edited by Deadsea 1993

• 2 weeks later...
Fell in love with it first go around and many times after it I hate RPGS yet love Fallout Ironic yes. New Vegas wasn't as good as 3 I think. It felt like a giant DLC to Fallout 3. That and New Vegas's area was so poor Nevada is basicly a desert who wants to explore a post apocalyptic desert Not me. New Vegas should have been called New California and it set it New California that would have been better Def one of my favorite games of all time.

I agree with you on the lack of exploration in New Vegas. I found myself missing the long subway tunnels and huge buildings of FO3 that took you an hour to explore. Most of the map markers in NV were nothing but some little shack, a one room building or in some cases nothing but a wrecked car or some other landmark. There was almost no point in wandering off the roadways because there was nothing to see there.