You MAY get banned for idle boosting (according to Rod)

ColdSpider72

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know WTF idle boosting is. I was referring to being able to do whatever I want in private games. Learn to read between the lines.
Don't need to overreact, buddy.

e: Not pointing out anybody in general, but I've seen maybe two or three people in this topic, including myself, that hasn't gone spastic on either side of the coin. Is it that hard to stay level-headed about this?

Edited by Keizaron

to be frank, this is all UTTER SHITE! they wont ban you for static boosting. there are worse flaws in the game that can be abused, this is all just bottom line troll/scaremongering.

At least it is one nice, easy to complain thread. makes it so much easier for people who have other things to talk aobut or ask for help on.

If we don't get banned then I will boost the game types I don't like to play(in private of course;)). If it is ban-able..then looks like I'm not getting Seriously 3.0:p. To be honest I wont lose any sleep(like I get any anyway=_=) I just want to know so I can figure out my next move. Either way it'll still take awhile before anyone can complete the game anyway, not including DLC and all.

Hopefully someone can get an answer from Epic sometime in the...near future?

(Just curious but am I the only one that doesn't hate Cliffy B.?)

If we don't get banned then I will boost the game types I don't like to play(in private of course;)). If it is ban-able..then looks like I'm not getting Seriously 3.0:p. To be honest I wont lose any sleep(like I get any anyway=_=) I just want to know so I can figure out my next move. Either way it'll still take awhile before anyone can complete the game anyway, not including DLC and all.

Hopefully someone can get an answer from Epic sometime in the...near future?

(Just curious but am I the only one that doesn't hate Cliffy B.?)

i dont hate anyone at epic. they made a good game. so what if they want to sell weapon skins? it's not the first game to have micro-transactions and wont be the last.

and nobody will get banned for idle boosting. the fact this went on for 6 pages is pretty silly.

I don't think there going to ban people for doing private matches. They shouldn't have made it where you could do it then.

Just like Bungie's shouldn't have allowed players to challenge reset by yanking their ethernet cord? Just because the developer didn't cover a loophole that allows players a statistical edge over the competition doesn't mean they're unable to smack them with a reset and/or a ban. It was at the player's discretion to utilize immoral means, whether it be boosting in online or private matches, utilizing a turbo controller, or flat out modding, to help unlock an achievement originally designed to take a lengthy amount of time to get. Developer's reserve the right to reset any player they see fit; the online component of the game always has been, and always will be their playing field. You're free to play the game however the hell you want offline, but that's as far as that freedom goes.

Edited by Kraderic

i dont hate anyone at epic. they made a good game. so what if they want to sell weapon skins? it's not the first game to have micro-transactions and wont be the last.

and nobody will get banned for idle boosting. the fact this went on for 6 pages is pretty silly.

This. 6 pages of people ranting about something that won't even happen and general bitching about Epic and the Seriously achievemenent is just pathetic.

Time to lock this one down maybe?

Just like Bungie's shouldn't have allowed players to challenge reset by yanking their ethernet cord? Just because the developer didn't cover a loophole that allows players a statistical edge over the competition doesn't mean they're unable to smack them with a reset and/or a ban. It was at the player's discretion to utilize immoral means, whether it be boosting in online or private matches, utilizing a turbo controller, or flat out modding, to help unlock an achievement originally designed to take a lengthy amount of time to get. Developer's reserve the right to reset any player they see fit; the online component of the game always has been, and always will be their playing field. You're free to play the game however the hell you want offline, but that's as far as that freedom goes.

Private matches can be played offline and earn u credit to the achievement.....I'm confused as to the point you are trying to get across lol

Private matches can be played offline and earn u credit to the achievement.....I'm confused as to the point you are trying to get across lol

I believe I already covered that base with

You're free to play the game however the hell you want offline, but that's as far as that freedom goes.
I was moreso responding to his statement that a player shouldn't be banned because a developer didn't cover up a loophole before release, regardless if said loophole was exploited online or off. But seeing as players can't be banned from playing offline only, it's obvious I'm referring only to the online component of the game.

Also, why are people STILL fretting over this? They won't or CAN'T ban you for this. It's IN the game.

And they can ban you for idle boosting in private matches. Considering you still accrue XP points towards the next level in private matches IIRC, they are well within their power to ban and/or reset a player for idle boosting. If Bungie can ban players for idling in Firefight to get credits (Halo's in-game XP), so can Epic. Thinking they're unable will surely bite you in the ass, just as it did for those who chose to sign in an idling guest to help attain new ranks in Halo.

Edited by Kraderic

And they can ban you for idle boosting in private matches. Considering you still accrue XP points towards the next level in private matches IIRC, they are well within their power to ban and/or reset a player for idle boosting. If Bungie can ban players for idling in Firefight to get credits (Halo's in-game XP), so can Epic. Thinking they're unable will surely bite you in the ass, just as it did for those who chose to sign in an idling guest to help attain new ranks in Halo.

Epic COULD ban but all that is needed is clarification, a direct answer/warning that idling in private matches is ok or not is all that is needed.

With Bungie they banned and reset players, but they did warned people with 24 hour cR bans which lead to a 2 week ban then finally a reset. Additionally the fact that the idling was taking place in in public FF matches was the bigger problem. This affected the quality of games of active players that were randomly matched with idlers. Bungie did say it was ok for full party boosting in which everyone was playing (which I think is a similar situation that Rod was referring to in his tweet). The question is whether he was referring to private or public.

Also since Reach's XP system puts an emphasis on time spent in public matches compared to GOW and COD where the XP is more focused on actions like kills, they could artifically length and increase the XP earned and boost.

Although I won't be idling until it is clear, my guess is that it is okay since unlike Bungie & Reach, Epic allowed XP (a very small amount) and medal progress to be earned in private matches in Gears 3 unlike Gears 2. They must have taken it into account when they made their XP system. For example, look at how ribbons aren't earned unless it is a full lobby or players/bots, or medal progress for weapon kills are versus mode only. I think a lot of thought was taken about the system, they just have to explicitly define the rules when asked by their player base

Has anyone considered that he hasn't answered in order to maintain the scare that we will get reset?? I'm with the majority on here that figures they can't/won't reset us.... But I guarantee the threat of that happening is enough to keep people from doing it.

I concur that if they do ban for this it is BS. But there is no point bitching about something that hasn't happened.

Also... the only reason they care is probably because they figure the longer it takes you to get it the longer they can keep you playing the game. People complain and whine about how long it will take, and that they will never get it legit, and they have too much going on (which I understand, because I do have WAY too much going on, not to mention too many other games to play) but in reality there is a large majority of people that will get this legit if boosting is outlawed and a even bigger group that will keep playing in hopes of getting it, all the while knowing that they never will...

There has been some communication error.

Epic have already said PUBLIC idle boosting will get you banned ie leaving your sticks up so you dont get kicked.

Many have asked for Rods comment on private match boosting

In his next stream due to hit on Nov 1st.

Bungie didn't just ban for idling in public firefight matches. They started banning a while back for people full party boosting in invasion with idle guests to onyx their commendations. THIS is a much more valid and pretty much identical comparison. Playing invasion with 2 friends, each of you signing in 3 idle guest controllers to fill up the 12 player lobby, effectively turns the game into a private match. You aren't affecting anyone else in any way whatsoever. This went on for a while, long enough for me to finish my commendations thankfully :-). Then suddenly Bungie decided it was a no no and adjusted their ban bot to Target players for doing it. This would be identical to Epic banning for private match idle boosters. If Bungie can do it so can Epic.

That said, I seriously doubt epic will ever ban for idle boosting in private matches. I would almost stake my completion on it. In fact, even though I don't have gears 1 or 2 on this card I'm considering doing Gears 3 just for seriously 3.0 since there's no achievement for onyxing everything Reach lol.

With Bungie they banned and reset players, but they did warned people with 24 hour cR bans which lead to a 2 week ban then finally a reset. Additionally the fact that the idling was taking place in in public FF matches was the bigger problem. This affected the quality of games of active players that were randomly matched with idlers. Bungie did say it was ok for full party boosting in which everyone was playing (which I think is a similar situation that Rod was referring to in his tweet). The question is whether he was referring to private or public.

Also since Reach's XP system puts an emphasis on time spent in public matches compared to GOW and COD where the XP is more focused on actions like kills, they could artifically length and increase the XP earned and boost.

As someone pointed out above, they rolled out their bans for two reasons: challenge resetting and idling in Multiplayer Matchmaking. Owning two Xbox's with two gamertags and 6 guests so you could play a "private match" of Living Dead online doesn't immunize you from being punished. You're not harming the experience of others, but it's still an illegitimate way of going about earning XP/credits/achievements. That was the groundwork used in the mass-banning of habitual idlers in Firefight.

A full lobby of idling boosters in Halo is equivalent to a full lobby of idling boosters in Gears of War; if it's punishable in one game, the same must be true for the other. Whether or not Epic will carry out with the bans, we don't know. But that's exactly what people said about Bungie; and before you knew it, people were being reset back to recruit without any warning what-so-ever, especially if you utilized the challenge resetting glitch before the initial mass-ban wave.

Edited by Kraderic

Ah... SMMFH... Dude, really? USE YOUR BRAIN. Epic in NO WAY has the right to ban you for idle boosting. You're boosting IN PRIVATE matches. If they didn't want you earning "XP" or medals in Private matches, they would've never let it be in the game. Also, they mean idle boosting ONLINE. But since you get booted for idling more than a minute or so, there's no point.

You people are just being stupid. They can't ban or reset you for doing (or not doing) stuff in private. If they even did, then what? Ban you for boosting your kills in Private?

And to bring up Halo, is even more retarded. Bungie reset or banned people for idling in online matches that included OTHER players.

Seriously people. Start using those things located on top of your shoulders.

Ah... SMMFH... Dude, really? USE YOUR BRAIN. Epic in NO WAY has the right to ban you for idle boosting.

Dead wrong. Epic has every right in the world to ban you for whatever and any reason they please, as the online environment is entirely their property. The $60 you spent on the game is for the right for you to play the game however you see fit offline. When playing online, you have no rights whatsoever. It's no different than a restaurant reserving the right to not provide you service, with or without reason. For someone who tells me to use their brain, you should practice what you preach.

Also, they mean idle boosting ONLINE. But since you get booted for idling more than a minute or so, there's no point.

Never heard of a turbo controller, have you? They're quite common. Look them up. I believe automation (turbo controller) is also a valid reason to be banned from the online environment; Bungie's used that as a reason several times, IIRC. Rubber bands and heavy objects count as well.

You people are just being stupid. They can't ban or reset you for doing (or not doing) stuff in private. If they even did, then what? Ban you for boosting your kills in Private?

Refer to my first quote. You'll be enlightened.

And to bring up Halo, is even more retarded. Bungie reset or banned people for idling in online matches that included OTHER players.

Spoken like someone who failed to read the last several replies to this thread. Full-party idle boosters were banned in Halo, boosters who weren't interfering with other players. That by itself makes Halo's reference valid and entirely relevant.

Edited by Kraderic