Kinect Clothing "Hacks"?

Eunomiac

Kinect comes with a few guidelines for appropriate clothing to help the Kinect pick you out, but I was wondering if anyone more tech-savvy than I may have thought of other ideas to help accurate recognition? I know baggy clothes are a no-no, but are there other tips for best results? Specific colors, or strategically-contrasting clothing maybe?

For example---and I'm only guessing, based on the fact that Kinect needs light, that it isn't (totally) infrared---would wearing contrasting gloves/socks help detection of hands/feet? And for games that rely on finger gestures... well, I have in my head an image of a hot-pink glove with bright green finger tips :)

Kinect comes with a few guidelines for appropriate clothing to help the Kinect pick you out, but I was wondering if anyone more tech-savvy than I may have thought of other ideas to help accurate recognition? I know baggy clothes are a no-no, but are there other tips for best results? Specific colors, or strategically-contrasting clothing maybe?

For example---and I'm only guessing, based on the fact that Kinect needs light, that it isn't (totally) infrared---would wearing contrasting gloves/socks help detection of hands/feet? And for games that rely on finger gestures... well, I have in my head an image of a hot-pink glove with bright green finger tips :)

I have no idea but I think you should make those gloves and do some tests.

Even if it doesn't help, it could make an amusing video to put up on Youtube so we can have a good laugh at it! ;)

Seriously though, I've never given it too much thought but I would think that so long as you choose to wear a colour very different to your background you are probably going to get a good level of detection.

Clothing that helps you stand out against the room/floor colours does make a big difference. I have a black carpet and when wearing black socks, Kinect was a little unpredictable at times, particularly if it was late and the lighting wasn't fantastic. Got a pair of cheap white socks and problem was solved. I guess my lower leg no longer blended into the floor? Several friends used this also and noticed improvements. As for anything else, never really needed to test but would be good to know.

Yes, I concur that while there are probably more ideal clothing attires than others, just differentiating yourself from the background/floor is the most important. Ideally too you don't want a "complicated" background. I have way better tracking when I shut the shades behind me, because a dark wall, a square window of light, and my body seem to all create some detection problems.

But, I like the OP’s theories on better detection. What if hell froze over and a Kinect game was an MLG game? What would they wear? I imagine those one colored skin tight suits that cover your whole body that those hockey hecklers wear.

http://9.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/6/3/collegehumor.12ae7146219c8adf1bb37bc34d6254af.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When I have a white T shirt or a burgundy sweater the kinect seems me very good. But not in light blue or striped sweater. If it is hard to use menues the kinect might not see your hands clear. I use sometimes white cotton ( probably garden) gloves and then I get a steady hand in the kinect game. Do not choose warm gloves.