Frustrated with a few cheevies on this game

THE Mr Fill

I completed this game today, and at the end I missed 2 of the 100gs cheevies which REALLY annoyed me - Foxiest and Pacifist - now I KNOW I didn't kill anyone, using either hand-to-hand take-downs or stun gun/traq shots, so how did it manage to think someone died?

I'm also 99% sure that I didn't set of any alarms, and yet I didn't get Foxiest

I seem to have missed something too as I didn't get offered the Acquaintances Forgotten side-quest in Detroit the second visit

After 50+ hours of game-play to get through it on "Give Me Deus Ex", it's hellishly frustrating that I spent all that time being extra careful, only for the game to tell me that I missed something along the way, and yet I know I didn't miss it...

Any suggestions on how you might kill someone without actually killing them? I always disabled/destroyed turrets, EMP/disable robots, and never had a camera go red...

This game is damn good, but frustrating as hell that it skips things on you without you knowing about it

:( :( :(

PS, sorry, a bit of a rant with one question buried in it

You have to be sure, in the parts of the game where setting off an alarm is possible that when you finish the objective you get the smooth operator bonus. If you didn't, then you messed up somewhere.

Also, it's entirely possible that you messed up your killing people by either killing people in the prologue, accidentally killing people by causing an indirect explosion either by barrels or robots blowing up, or by them falling off of a high place.

There are also a couple quests where the possible outcome is to kill the person. (throwing that guy off the building and the assisted suicide)

Edited by JakJakAttacks

Let's run ya through what I know.

Killing enemies both directly or indirectly (prologue or otherwise) voids the Pacifist achievement.

Enemies that sound an alarm (prologue or otherwise) voids the foxiest achievement.

Here's the hidden tidbits, Blowing up robots has been reported to not void the pacifist achievement, turrets and robots that go to hostile has also been reported to not void the foxiest achievement, I'd advise trying to find this out on a dummy run (where you're actually not aiming for them 2 achievements).

Finally, when you're doing the side mission to keep the witness alive (Cloak and Daggers), make sure the gangsters are unconcious but alive, because there's a glitch when you take out the 2 outside the door where even if you knock 'em out, one still ends up dead, the trick is to take the one on the left out first.

Hopefully that should help a bit :).

I'm on my second run-through now (on Tell Me A Story), making sure I get "Ghost" for every section, and hoping that this will give me the Foxiest.

As for both run-throughs, I used hand-to-hand take downs (tap "B") for 95%+ of them, Stun Gun and Tranquilliser Rifle for the remaining, and the only time I used a normal weapon or non-Gas/EMP mines was on bosses, I think I only threw 1 grenade on my first play-through.

For the times you HAVE to kill, I made a save, killed, re-loaded and then took down (like Diamond Chan on the roof).

I really hope that this Ghost play-through works for Foxiest...

Just finished my second play-through today and managed to get the 4 endings achievement (I didn't see the door before), but I still didn't get Foxiest or Pacifist.

All I can think for Foxiest is when you're in the area for Good Soul it's automatically Hostile, so I have no idea if you're meant to try to stay stealthy here, because it's "not your fault" that they're hostile...

Also, for Pacifist, I'm pretty sure that Gas Grenades/Mines don't kill, because I used a couple of them during the game, and you get Merciful Soul bonus, which implies that you're downing them but not killing them - I made sure that nobody drowned, and nobody went off a building ledge, so I KNOW that nobody died by my hand/shot... so why didn't I get the cheevie?

I'm tempted with a 3rd full play-through and only take people down with hand-to-hand, stun gun or tranq rifle, or just avoid people just to get the Pacifist, but I might miss the side missions to speed it up - especially since about 2/3 of the augments are either shooting or almost unused (Fortify, Analyze, Typhoon for the very end only, Armor on low difficulty, Stealth Enhancer, Smart Vision, Retinal Prosthesis, Sprinting if you don't mind taking longer to run), so I could finish the game with half augs just to speed things up...

Does anyone know 100% FOR SURE that gas grenades/mines don't impact on Pacifist, because it makes escaping from the penthouse REALLY easy (one right in front of the lift, one right in front of the exit door), taking down every single guard who comes in without you having to do anything, and giving loads of experience for the cost of 2 mines and a huge time saving... note the lift guys come in later, so if both mines get set off by the first bunch then the gas has gone for the 4-5 guys who come in (2 of which are Heavies)

I can only imagine how frustrating that must be.

Like I said in my bitch thread, a statistics screen where it shows you how many alarms you've tripped and how many people you've killed would do wonders.

One thing, did you kill any of the crazies during the final fight? That does void it. I didn't kill any of them, I just stealthed and ran past all of them in Panchea.

As for the gas grenades/mines, I didn't use them at all. I stuck with takedowns/stun/tranq. For the penthouse escape I just cloaked and ran past all of them.

You can finish this game really fast by just upgrading your cloak and battery power, double takedown helps but it's not necessary. It's really all you need. Just invest your money in extra praxis, food, ammo for stun/traq and frag mines/grenades for boss fights.

I also have a thread for Foxiest help here: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=351502

You seem to know what you're doing, so I don't know of how much help it'll be.

Edited by JakJakAttacks

Didn't touch any of the crazies in Panchea, avoided all of them (even when going to the meetings), I had full cloak/battery stuff about 1/4-1/2 way through the game - I do tend to hack everything and try as many take-downs as I can, but that does slow you down a TON!

On my latest play-through (trying for the eBooks as well as I keep missing 1 or 2) I'm going to upgrade Stealth & Batteries next set of Praxis I get and just try to power through it...

Edited by THE Mr Fill

i have done like 4 story mission and whenever i got hostile or alarmed i loaded up my save

i however have only gotten the bonus smooth operator bonus.. one time

i already know ive screwed up the achievement, but im going through the levels and practicing and finding vents.

im in the belltower right now and these guys spot me at the stupidest time. i climbed into a room via a vent. i hacked the camera, and you guessed it as i was making my way to the vent while crouched i was spotted.

oh, I go through levels without getting so much as a Suspicious from a camera, and never got an Alarmed (apart from when they started Alarmed), NEVER got a Hostile, and yet never got Foxiest...

my third full play-through (just entering FEMA as I type this) I'm going to double check with the Foxiest guide - if I don't get the bonus them I'm re-doing the whole level, and trying for Ghost of everything too, because that 500XP is really worth the extra effort

BTW, auto unlock devices are useful for using the security computers if you crouch behind them, auto-unlock, then stealth and use the computer, turn everything off and exit as quick as you can, nobody is any the wiser ;-)

OK, a minor update, I now know why I've been missing Pacifist, and it's all to do with the Hengsha - Construction Site level

if you're doing what I do, you run around the edge, take out the guys on the 2nd floor (for the Americans) on the right, EMP the robot thingy, drop down and take out the Heavies and the remaining Combat Rifle guys before finally getting the snipers (Stunning the last one so you don't punch him off)

well, after trying it FIVE TIMES IN A ROW, I get the same outcome which kills one of the Heavies - because he's taken out near the robot when it's EMPd, when it blows up it kills him - this immediately invalidates the Pacifist cheevie as you've "caused" the death of someone

no matter what I try, once I EMP the robot, one of them wanders near it and either gets killed in the explosion, or I'm close & take them out, then they're killed while they're Zzzing

this is frustrating as hell, and I'm tempted to let Malik die, just so I can pick them off while nowhere near the robot, but no matter what I do, someone dies from something out of my control (them shooting a barrel and it killing someone else)

I figured it was going to be something like that.

I never thought that part was as hard as everyone says. All I did was run around using the stun gun and take downs. Just keep the enemies clear of where the robot lands and quickly EMP him. Pretty simple.

Otherwise, just let Malik die. Doesn't really affect the game anyway.

I have the cheevie (especially since I've saved her EVERY play-through), but every time I tried to do it the Heavies walk towards the EMPd robot as though they're like "ooh, sparky, let's give it a hug"

the other thing that happened was one of the brain trust guys was standing, shooting at the jump ship, but there was an explosive barren in front of them, so they shot it, it OBVIOUSLY exploded and killed them... the other one I've seen has been a sniper trying to get a line on the ship and stepping off, falling to their death :-P

I might re-try it tonight and Stun Gun the robot to pause it while I take out the the guys around it and drag them away before it blows up

OK, finished the game this morning, and got my 1k on it

the way I didn't the "rescue Malik" bit, keeping her alive and not letting anyone get killed goes as follows:

at the start, make sure you've eaten a tub of CyberBoost, got the Stun Gun as your active weapon, and the EMP mine/grenade as your grenade (best done in Sarif industries so you don't have to swap in combat) - during the run, use CyberBoost packs/tubs if you need to

as soon as you have control cloak and SPRINT forwards, knock out the Heavies and the Combat Rifle guy straight in front of you - you should reach the Combat Rifle guy first, he's the closest to the robot, so COULD cause a problem (drag away if unsure), de-cloak once you have these 3 down

turn around & to your right (facing the drop ship), there's another Combat Rifle guy there so take him out

turn towards the robot which should be there by now, EMP mine/grenade it

run up the stairs to the 2nd floor (for Americans) and take out the 3 Combat Rifle guys here, you might be lucky and get a double take-down

now you're left with the 2 easy guys, up the ladder from this point and get the first sniper WITH A STUN GUN (if you punch him he falls off the ledge and dies)

if you have Icarus, drop off and head towards the corner on the right for the final sniper who is on the 2nd floor (for Americans again)

BEFORE you go through the lift, check all of the guys are alive and Zzzing, if any are dead then re-load and try again!

ok im having some major hassle with the foxiest cheevo,ive been through the game 5 times now about to start my 6th and 3 of those run throughs are because of this achievement.

I'm not getting spotted by any guards i even know some pretty handy short cuts to skip past guards,so its not them,i use the cloak 99% of the time and wait behind cover or in a vent for it to recharge before moving on.

my last playthrough i had 2 camaras go suspicious on me but thats it and it still wont unlock foxiest............any ideas what im doing wrong cause ive tryed everything,it just wont unlock for me.

....you sir, are a bully :p On my pacifist run....I didn't use a single stun gun/tranq, and literally used less than 10 takedowns all game. >_> There is no need to take out everyone in the game, especially when it increases your chances of missing the achievement you're trying to so hard for.

As for Malik, I saved her once. On my pacifist playthrough, I immediately cloaked and ran for the elevator. Ta-da, no one killed.

Except Malik....but that wasn't my fault :p

PS: Congrats on doing everything the hard way and still getting the achievement. You're a trooper.

ok im having some major hassle with the foxiest cheevo,ive been through the game 5 times now about to start my 6th and 3 of those run throughs are because of this achievement.

I'm not getting spotted by any guards i even know some pretty handy short cuts to skip past guards,so its not them,i use the cloak 99% of the time and wait behind cover or in a vent for it to recharge before moving on.

my last playthrough i had 2 camaras go suspicious on me but thats it and it still wont unlock foxiest............any ideas what im doing wrong cause ive tryed everything,it just wont unlock for me.

for my run which gave me the cheevie, I made 1 save per section where you get the Smooth Operator section, using that one save for just that section (before entering a new area, or hacking)

then if you DON'T get the Smooth Operator then you re-load the last save which should be at the very end of the previous section

just note that failing a hack also seems to count as an alarm going off, so DO NOT fail any, use your Stop Worms and Nukes when you have to!

As for Malik, I saved her once. On my pacifist playthrough, I immediately cloaked and ran for the elevator. Ta-da, no one killed.

I didn't even know that the life was active until you got rid of the guards, so the one time I let Malik die I took everyone out after before going to the lift

more take-downs = more XP, so I always went for them, but I suppose if you want to "cheat" and use the infinite XP method, then it doesn't matter what you're doing, since you can get maximum cloak & batteries before you go anywhere (plus a few of levels of hacking & hacking stealth)