Terminal Velocity.. wtf am I doing wrong?

kingross

Maybe you need to 'fall' in a specific way? So instead of jumping into one of the portals fall off a ledge into one (I don't have the game so I don't know if there are ledges (sue me)) or something along those lines.

Otherwise it may be one of those achievements that doesn't unlock at the right time, so a few more thousand feet may be needed.

It did take me a while but not an hour, lil wierd. Anyways there is no real trick to it. As soon as i got the 2portal gun i shot one on the ceiling and the other on the floor, walked through the one on the floor, started watching tv and came back after 10 min and had it. There is no real trick to it, sry you cant get it :(

If you slow down when entering or exiting a portal then it will not count it as a continuous fall. Try to get yourself lined up so that as you fall you gain momentum. Depending on the size of the room you are falling through it should take around ten minutes to unlock.

• 2 months later...
I put a portal on the ceiling and a portal on the ground below it, went to dinner, came back and I was still falling and I still didn't have the achievement. I know for a fact I fell more than 30,000 feet in an hour. Anyone have any tips?

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. Seems really odd. :/

Anyone have a good level/testchamber recommendation to do this (and long jump) on?

The tips that have already been said are really all there is to it. Once you have both parts to the gun shoot one straight up and one right below you and wait a good 5-6 minutes. If you still haven't get it just keep trying, maybe you're accidentally hitting the floor or something that is preventing you from getting it.

For long jump I did this in the 16th level I believe. Just shoot a portal up high on the wall and shoot one on the floor, then jump into the one on the floor and when you come back out of the wall shoot another one right where you are about to land to keep it going, took about 6 or 7 times doing this process I believe. I found it easy to do it on this one because when you come out you hit the wall which lines you up perfectly when you have to shoot a portal at the floor again.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying for the terminal velocity in Room 15 advanced. Right off the elevator there's the part on the right to gain speed to jump over the wall. I like this spot too because the ceiling and floor are small, so it's easier to line up the portals.

Only problem is I fell for over 20 minutes and no achievement. Any suggestions?

One thing that helps is to NOT have your Portals perfectly parallel. Obviously, one needs to be directly above the other, but adjusting the actual angles of the Portals such that the one on the ceiling is at about a 45-degree angle to the one you put on the floor will make it such that the Portals automatically correct your position, and keep you far and away from the edges.

Yep. :3

I turned it off one time, because I was wondering what the heck it was, and I could never land in portals. It REALLY helps.

It should be mentioned that this is on by default. I got really excited reading the post only to find that mine was already turned on.

I did manage to get the achievement thanks to the advice of Da_Big_D__, I just turned my portals so they weren't perfectly lined up. I went for a 90 degree turn but it worked just the same. Took a little under 10 minutes.