Arkham City or Arkham Asylum

JimCant

Which did you like better? Batman Arkham Asylum or Batman Arkham City?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Which did you like better? Batman Arkham Asylum or Batman Arkham City?

• Arkham Asylum
    • Arkham City

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are both really good games but I think I like AC better. Both games have a great story but I think AC has a little more variety. Not to mention AC is a lot bigger and cruising around the city is really fun, whether you are a predator or a combat killer. I just wish the challenges wernt so repititive in both games.

City for me it is. I love free roaming feature in anygame, and in Asylum that didn´t exist, there was just backtracking to find riddler´s stuff. The first game, to me, was too much strict on how you play and most of the time you´re in close spaces. While it was a great game no doubt, those things aren´t appealing to me at all.

Now, free roaming, side missions and leveling systems? You got me there bro, that´s what I mostly hope for every single game this days.

Also, more comic related stuff, more villains, a deeper view of Batman´s universe and complex riddlers and puzzles from the villain to solve ending on a real confrontation. The game is a win and I will considerer even better if it wasn´t for campaing medals, bad DLC policy and that it feel a short game story wise if you focus on that and forget about secondary objectives.

Arkham City by a wide margin. Better environments, better use of gadgets, originally in AA and the new gadgets added in this game. Better combat controls. Gliding and Dive bomb is just super fun. The addition of Catwomen and controlling her (I almost like controlling her better then Batman, almost). Jokers (Mark Hamill's voice over) performance, was the best ever done, in video game history. Period. The Riddler and his trophies are great too. I'm not gonna find all of his trophies though (Screw that). Loved AA, I just prefer AC a bit more. We are talking a 9.5 vs 9.0 difference though. Still wide, but both games are great in their own right!

I don't really like to compare either of them because I think they are both great in different ways.

Arkham Asylum was great because it was the first superhero game to be really really good. (well one of the first) and I did really enjoy the story and the Asylum.

Arkham City just added on to that. I like how it wasn't just the joker and they added a lot of new villians to the campaign. I like how they tried to integrate Catwoman and even though I do like playing as Batman better I like that they tried to do something different.

Next game we should be able to play as Robin! :D

but I voted for Arkham City. I love the free roam its so awesome but wayyyyy to many riddles jeez 400? omg.

• 4 weeks later...

Arkham City is vastly superior. Arkham Asylum was repetitive and boring, you were constantly backtracking all over one tiny island, seeing the same places over and over and over. But both games have the major flaw of being centered completely around the Joker while every other villain is shoved to the side and made near-pointless.

I like the story mode more in Asylum, but overall Arkham City is better. The combat and stealth just kicks so much ass in City, the flying and hand-to-hand combat mechanics are much more refined and polished. They also made the collectible hunt much more exciting in AC with larger puzzle variety and the side missions were fun. The riddler's revenge challenges in AC were a blast, although there were a bit too much medals to beat with 4 different characters. Both amazing games though, really strong in my top 10 favourite 360 games, or City even in all time favourite games.

I Liked Arkham Asylum better than Arkham City. Killer Croc, Scarecrow, Ivy were some of the best Batman moments for me.

I agree with this. The Poison Ivy "level" in Arkham Asylum was great, as were the portions with Scarecrow, as well as the hallucinations in the morgue. Arkham City is a great game and I'm enjoying it, but I couldn't put Arkham Asylum down until I finished it!

this is such a tough question-AC's gameplay feels so much smoother (no mean feat outdoing AA) with the gliding mechanics, improved combat, more gadgets and more enemy types. Also I think although the world is so much bigger, it feels as detailed if not more so than AA.

However in AA all the villains felt they justified their place in the story whilst in AC Two-Face was terribly two dimensional and underdeveloped. I loved the build up to Scarecrows levels in AA but you beat him in the same way every time whilst the hallucination levels in AC were more interesting to play.

AA wins for achievements (although I still havent got the combat gold one) simply because 100% AC is just a chore-play the story twice over, do all side missions twice, get 440 riddler trophies and get arround 300 challenge mode medals and over 400 campaign medals-nooooooooooooooo thankyou

Arkham Asylum I felt had a better story than Arkham City the side missions kind of took attention from the main story but they were fun to do, the fighting mechanics in AC are better than AA, the gadgets in AC better than AA. Overall I choose Arkham City as the better one more variety and plenty to do

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely preferred Arkham City, although there are undoubtedly some points which Arkham Asylum hits higher. For example, I didn't like how unexplored a lot of the villains were in AC, which was pretty much inevitable given how many of them there were, whereas AA had fewer and so most of them were much more fleshed out. For example, this may sound odd, but one of the specific things I was disappointed about by the time I'd finished up was how under-used Harley was; seeing as Rocksteady had decided to give her a massive makeover since AA, I figured she would have had a much bigger role to parallel her part in the first game, but she never really does anything - although I guess that's what Harley Quinn's Revenge is set to compensate for :D

Regardless of the extent of their use, however, AC absolutely hit the nail on the head with the cast of villains, as did AA; Mr. Freeze, the Penguin and, of course, the Joker really shone through, and I'm also a particularly big fan of how the surprise villain [spoiler=Clayface]Clayface

turned out to have such a major role in the story (even if him being the final boss seemed a little odd).

For me I would have to choose Arkham City. In AA when traveling I found myself getting stuck in areas, like the building where the elevator was broken that was a hassle getting out. Arkham City travel was pure easy and enjoyable. I also really enjoyed all the villains added to AC.

Edit: I have to add more to my statement because again after playing both over the recent weekend, I realized how different the combat feels. In AA it doesn't always work so good, you counter but it doesn't counter, in AC it feels so smooth and comfortable. As I mentioned above, replaying AA story over again, getting around is not so easy as it is in AC. They are both great in their own ways.

Edited by InsaneKane87