xbox 360 controller sticky buttons?

iNSANiTY

Is there any fix to this, I bought a controller off ebay, official, it has the official microsoft sticker on the back, when I press the A button, it feels like i'm pressing it down into honey, it seems ever so slow coming back out, its not a massive problem, its just quite annoying, is there any fix or should I just try to send it back?

I have this kinda problem with the 'x' button on our black controller.. The button doesn't go in or out slowly, but sometimes when it's pressed it'll stay in unless you try and kinda tweak it out.

The left stick seems to stay left as well :/ like, say you're moving left in a game then let go, you'll continue moving left. And it's squeaky..

Also, it likes to turn off if you so much as tap the battery pack.

I could probably continue, but I'll leave it at that.

Absolutely no problem with our white controller (though the left stick can be kind of stiff sometimes)..

I have this kinda problem with the 'x' button on our black controller.. The button doesn't go in or out slowly, but sometimes when it's pressed it'll stay in unless you try and kinda tweak it out.

The left stick seems to stay left as well :/ like, say you're moving left in a game then let go, you'll continue moving left. And it's squeaky..

Also, it likes to turn off if you so much as tap the battery pack.

I could probably continue, but I'll leave it at that.

Absolutely no problem with our white controller (though the left stick can be kind of stiff sometimes)..

Wow my 2 black controllers have some of the faults you listed; my spare/guest/backup/'I rarely use it' one has squeaky triggers and joystocks and the batterypack that decides to disconnect if you even look at it, and my main controller has a sticking analogue stick (also to the left mainly). I wonder if these are common faults, or if it's just Microsoft's famous build quality... :p

I wonder if these are common faults, or if it's just Microsoft's famous build quality... :p

lol, well we've only had the one white controller (which my boyfriend had with the xbox he owned when I first met him), and we've had no problems with it. I guess the black ones are somehow cheaper for MS, hence the faults.

Send it back to the seller or straight to Microsoft. At least you can get your money back or even have it repaired for free, as long as it is still under the 90 day warranty Microsoft has for hardware.

LOL, I'm surprised Carmona25 hasn't chimed in. Rule of thumb is most sellers will not accept returns. It's just to cover everyone's ass as eBay transactions are AS-IS sales. Some sellers will accept returns if something is wrong though, as they like to maintain a positive rep and don't want potential customers getting scared away by negative feedback. If it's just a seller with a couple hundred feedback you got screwed. You could file a complaint with eBay but likely nothing with happen.

You forget there are a lot of scumbags in this world. You could take a picture of an old broke control you had and said this is what you received and pocket the new one + get the money back you spent. That's just one possible scenario. Again likely nothing will happen unless the seller acknowledges it was a mistake on their part and wish to remedy the situation. Shop more carefully next time.

I spilled kool-aid on my black controller not long after I got it,guide button is kinda sticky but after all these years it worked its way out. (2 years of owning :p )

my triggers have always been squeeky =/ ,and my left analog stick is wearing out...

amazon and walmart.com I know for sure have new wireless controllers for $30 brand new. I really avoid ebay now, it's just too much hassle for me since they require paypal,etc. I'd rather just get a prepaid walmart gift card or amazon gift card ,and amazon has really good customer service

LOL, I'm surprised Carmona25 hasn't chimed in. Rule of thumb is most sellers will not accept returns. It's just to cover everyone's ass as eBay transactions are AS-IS sales. Some sellers will accept returns if something is wrong though, as they like to maintain a positive rep and don't want potential customers getting scared away by negative feedback. If it's just a seller with a couple hundred feedback you got screwed. You could file a complaint with eBay but likely nothing with happen.

You forget there are a lot of scumbags in this world. You could take a picture of an old broke control you had and said this is what you received and pocket the new one + get the money back you spent. That's just one possible scenario. Again likely nothing will happen unless the seller acknowledges it was a mistake on their part and wish to remedy the situation. Shop more carefully next time.

Are you kidding? As a buyer ebay pretty much stick their tongues so far up your ass you will be shitting refunds. I sold some comics to a guy, he just wrote to ebay said there was no way the amount of comics I sold could have fit in the envelope, he only recieved 4 out of 30 books and the envelope was perfectly sealed. I said that was complete bullshit, provided proof that I put all 30 books in the envelope and they still ruled against me in less than five hours and made me refund him without him even having to send the 4 that he claimed he got back.

The next day he sent me an email conviniently saying he now found a rip all the way down the side of the envelope that had been taped up and that must have been where they went. Even after sending that email on to ebay which proved he lied to them in his own words they still wouldn't overturn the decision and I was $75 outta pocket. eBay are the most crooked fucks around.

Send it back to the seller or straight to Microsoft. At least you can get your money back or even have it repaired for free, as long as it is still under the 90 day warranty Microsoft has for hardware.

Are you kidding? As a buyer ebay pretty much stick their tongues so far up your ass you will be shitting refunds. I sold some comics to a guy, he just wrote to ebay said there was no way the amount of comics I sold could have fit in the envelope, he only recieved 4 out of 30 books and the envelope was perfectly sealed. I said that was complete bullshit, provided proof that I put all 30 books in the envelope and they still ruled against me in less than five hours and made me refund him without him even having to send the 4 that he claimed he got back.

The next day he sent me an email conviniently saying he now found a rip all the way down the side of the envelope that had been taped up and that must have been where they went. Even after sending that email on to ebay which proved he lied to them in his own words they still wouldn't overturn the decision and I was $75 outta pocket. eBay are the most crooked fucks around.

It's not a perfect system, but I can say in my twelve years I've never had any serious problems like this. Sounds like you had a bad experience. I think it pretty biased to judge all of eBay on this on instance.

That said, I know that I've gotten more than a few items for free because of issues like the one you mentioned. I wasn't out to screw anyone either. eBay informed me that this auction was canceled or might be fraudulent so I should request my money back. Naturally I did so and got my money back along with the item. Hell, one time a guy had a tracking number on an item, sent it to me, it got returned, I complained, and he got to keep the item and my money. Naturally I complained on how bullshit this was and they offered me a complimentary refund, which was all of $10 but it was about the principle more than anything. The seller even said that I must have been in the wrong since eBay decided in his favor, but despite that he would still send it to me. So in the end I got the item and my money back.

So again, I know eBay is far from perfect, but still doesn't mean the whole thing is shit.

It's not a perfect system, but I can say in my twelve years I've never had any serious problems like this. Sounds like you had a bad experience. I think it pretty biased to judge all of eBay on this on instance.

This wasn't the only instance, just the worst one. Over all while I was selling off my collection I have 6 or 7 instances where no matter what I did to prove I had done everything I was supposed to they were just like 'don't care give them the money back or we will just take it from your account'.

Admittedly I am biased against eBay anyway after they summarily cancelled my first account and pretty much acted like I was selling small third world children on there or something. When I called to ask why they told me it was a selling issue and they couldn't tell me anymore, then they just hung up on me mid question. Funny thing is, and what makes me so freaking mad, I never sold anything, I never even activated a seller's account on it.

lol, well we've only had the one white controller (which my boyfriend had with the xbox he owned when I first met him), and we've had no problems with it. I guess the black ones are somehow cheaper for MS, hence the faults.

My old white contoller I had with my first 360 worked brilliantly. And now my other black controller has just started squeaking, despite being about half the age my white one was. Could this be Microsoft making decent quality to begin with to bring in the customer base, before releasing poor quality replacements so existing users have to keep handing them money...

...lol, or am I just paranoid much?

If it's a second hand controller, you can take it apart and give it a clean to see if that fixes it. If it's new, then I'd just send it back because it's probably defective and taking it apart voids the warranty.

which parts of a controller can you take apart to clean (genually interested)?

the only thing i've ever done to mine is replace the battery pack. which btw sucks ass, sometimes the controller just disconnects like crazy. currently im running a white battery pack on the black controller lol. the sticky buttons ive never had emmediately after getting a controller, usually its after i play some game that requires button mashing.

like "blink" said if it is used i would try to clean it or see whats wrong, if you bought it new then return it ASAP. either way i hope you get a better controller, that stinks :(

My old white contoller I had with my first 360 worked brilliantly. And now my other black controller has just started squeaking, despite being about half the age my white one was. Could this be Microsoft making decent quality to begin with to bring in the customer base, before releasing poor quality replacements so existing users have to keep handing them money...

...lol, or am I just paranoid much?

ohhh no, i wouldnt doubt it man. lol that sounds like something they would do to squeeze more $ out of us.

Also make sure that the sticker where the battery goes is still there. I usually take apart my controllers and replace the parts from spare controllers that don't work anymore.

But if that sticker is gone, the repair warranty is invalid. That being said, you probably haven't opened your controllers to clean them/ replace stuff.

the only thing i've ever done to mine is replace the battery pack. which btw sucks ass, sometimes the controller just disconnects like crazy. currently im running a white battery pack on the black controller lol. the sticky buttons ive never had emmediately after getting a controller, usually its after i play some game that requires button mashing.

Basically all of it, there are 7 screws on the back, undo these and the 2 halves of the shell come apart, from here you can take all the buttons out, the triggers and bumpers come apart, and the rumble packs can be removed. There are loads of YouTube videos of how to take apart and reassemble.

Someone's already mentioned it, but if you get a torx screwdriver (if my memory serves me right it's a t-8) you can unscrew the shell, giving you access to the internal components.

There's a membrane switch on the d-pad and a,b,x,y button that you could give a wipe down I suppose.

Also, for randomness sake, you can replace the circuit board inside a shell this way if you ever break your controller but like the aesthetic look it's not too hard to fix.

Is there any fix to this, I bought a controller off ebay, official, it has the official microsoft sticker on the back, when I press the A button, it feels like i'm pressing it down into honey, it seems ever so slow coming back out, its not a massive problem, its just quite annoying, is there any fix or should I just try to send it back?

I just joined, sorry to post a link right off the bat...

I made a tutorial on how to properly clean your controller and get rid of sticky buttons and thumb sticks. Have a site I post all my tutorials on now (so I don't have to retype them all the time).

Here is the guide's page: http://xbox360repairguides.weebly.com/opening-and-cleaning-an-xbox-360-controller.html