Can anyone believe that mass effect is already selling for £24

Troll Face Spartan

Its great how its selling at that price already but makes me sick is call of duty mw3 is still selling for £40. Amazon are selling it that price btw :)

Nearly everywhere has started doing it for around that price now. It's great if you want to pick it up but it means it isn't selling so well hence the price drop. The CoD games never drop in price as they are always very popular even after a year or so.

Not really surprised, well at least on Amazon (About 2.5 average customer reviews.). Kinda sad, great game overall but...

*Spoiler I suppose*

......terrible ending in the eyes of the majority on Amazon and possibly of the majority of people who love and play/played the trilogy. Hold the line. :p

Nearly everywhere has started doing it for around that price now. It's great if you want to pick it up but it means it isn't selling so well hence the price drop. The CoD games never drop in price as they are always very popular even after a year or so.

Uhm... no.

Pricedrop is because they've sold over the estimated figures. So the price has dropped because they now need not make buckets of money on the game anymore.

1. We need to make a lot of money of the fanbase

30% buys the game at ~€60,00

2. We've made enough money of the fanbase let's conquer the doubters

50% buys the game at ~€30,00

3. We just need to sell copies of the game to make money of the DLC

20% gets it at a budget price ~€15,00

Same with Gears of War 3 few months back. It sold like crazy so prices dropped likewise. Within a month prices were 25% off. So a pricedrop depends on salesfigures. Otherwise we would be able to buy low selling games for €10,00 within a month and we all know that is not happening in this universe...

@ hunterking, I disagree since your solution makes little sense economically. If it was still selling well and you can get £40/$60 for it, you would. I expect what has happened is sales were VERY high in the first week or so and once the die hard support and newcomers who were hyped go through, no one else really wants the game. Sales slow down a lot and so you drop the price.

You wouldn't reduce the price just because you've sold "enough". I doubt EA would ever consider any game to have sold "enough". Their aim is to make as much money as possible; if it can sell for full price, sell it for full price.

They sold like 900k copies on release I think. How is that not a lot? It's clearly popular and stores will be trying to sell all of their copies so they don't have left over stock. They lower prices so people will buy from them as they are the cheapest. You can get Gears of War 3 for £10 now. This proves that Games drop very fast. In the past 5 years the amount of Xbox users has dramatically increased which means more people willing to buy games. It would take ages for some games to drop below £20 in 2007. Bioware shipped out 3.5 million copies and 900k were sold in first 24 hours which I think is NA alone due to not having a worldwide release date.

@ hunterking, I disagree since your solution makes little sense economically. If it was still selling well and you can get £40/$60 for it, you would. I expect what has happened is sales were VERY high in the first week or so and once the die hard support and newcomers who were hyped go through, no one else really wants the game. Sales slow down a lot and so you drop the price.

You wouldn't reduce the price just because you've sold "enough". I doubt EA would ever consider any game to have sold "enough". Their aim is to make as much money as possible; if it can sell for full price, sell it for full price.

It makes sense, just most games do this via sales vs a full price cut. It seems that most big budget titles run a sale about 4-6 weeks after release to capture another nice chunk of sales before another big title drops. I can't believe EA would let the price drop that fast though.

It's not a case of sold enough at full price though. It's a case of if they don't lower the price then they'll sell less. More slices of a smaller pie being better than less slices of a bigger pie.

It's dropping in price because no one who hasn't bought it wants to buy it at that price. I wouldn't equate that with "sold enough".

In a weird way, what you're saying is similar to what he's saying. The price drops aren't based on whether or not they've made enough money or not, they're based on the degree to which a given market is saturated. Die-hard fans have already bought the game, so the price drop will make it more enticing to others, allowing its usage to expand into a new market.

With the multiplayer component, a lot of people might try to talk their friends into getting it too, so just having a larger number of people that have bought it might increase the effective potential number of total customers. Not really sure how that all works out; doubt it's something you'll see in most economic models, since all of the math is way simpler if the relationships are all linear, but I doubt it's something EA isn't aware of.

Mass Effect 2 was down to about $30 within a few months of its release, it was a similar thing with Mass Effect. They have dropped the price quickly with the series, and it will likely happen again, its something that DLC heavy games do. Games that come out with new editions every year don't lower their prices until they near their next edition, as they eventually approach a point of decreased buying.

COD is able to get away with charging full price for a long time because they technically release every other year. Sales-wise they release 2 different games, which is why Black Ops is still moving copies at $50, despite the fact that a new COD game has come out, and why MW3 will be around the same price next year when Black-Ops 2 comes out. Madden NFL on the other hand starts selling at $40 (permanently not as a sale price) sometime in late January/ early February (this coincides with the ending of the season), and drops to $30 around the time of the release of the next edition. FIFA sells at full price until about a month before the next edition drops, this has to do with the fact that Soccer never really ends (with the various leagues starting at different times of the year), and the fact that it is such a good game that the demand never wains.

Games that don't have a yearly release have a shelf-life shorter than those with one. Mass Effect 3 does have an online component that will likely give the game more legs in terms of how long it can remain at a certain price but there will be a point where they will have sold to all the people willing to spend $60 on a game and will have to drop the price to get those who are interested in the game to buy it. There are also those who know that there is going to be DLC, and are perfectly fine with waiting until the DLC is out to buy the game (no use in paying full price beating the game and then waiting until the DLC, when they could wait until the DLC is out and buy the game at a cheaper price).

Hunterking's price picture was right, there is a point where they won't be able to sell the game at a good rate at the full price, at which point we will see a drop in price, followed by another later on down the road.