Black Monolith Possible Solution - Need Input

Fenrakk101

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and if we're still agreeing that the first two inputs are the same, here's the list:

aardvark

eegrass

eelcake

eelfare

eellike

eelware

eeriness

oolemma

oolitic

oologic

oometer

oophore

oophoron

oopodal

ooscope

ooscopy

oospore

ootocoid

ootocous

oozooid

In short, I don't think this word stuff is going to get us anywhere. Pity, considering how much time I spent creating the word lists!

...and if we're still agreeing that the first two inputs are the same, here's the list:

aardvark

eegrass

eelcake

eelfare

eellike

eelware

eeriness

oolemma

oolitic

oologic

oometer

oophore

oophoron

oopodal

ooscope

ooscopy

oospore

ootocoid

ootocous

oozooid

In short, I don't think this word stuff is going to get us anywhere. Pity, considering how much time I spent creating the word lists!

Well there is also the consideration that 1 side of the cube (which can be anywhere from 4-5 letters) = 1 button, meaning that at most 5 of the 6 sides are used. This would imply the that first 2 letters could be A and then G, before switching to a new side for another set of letters.

But yeah, brute forcing it via this method is just as difficult.

aardvark

eegrass

eelcake

eelfare

eellike

eelware

eeriness

oolemma

oolitic

oologic

oometer

oophore

oophoron

oopodal

ooscope

ooscopy

oospore

ootocoid

ootocous

oozooid

Not to mention Polytron isn't a real word, and we were considering that as the final solution before. If we wanted to go the route of words, we would be here much longer than the English dictionary has content.

SUSPENSE

Up RT UP A DOWN LT UP DOWN

You can make these any letter you feel like to solve it, but the short of it is:

Up = S

Down = E

LT = N

RT = U

A = P

It seems too good to be a coincidence, though it's probably just there to tease us.

I don't even know how to react to this.

SUSPENSE

Up RT UP A DOWN LT UP DOWN

You can make these any letter you feel like to solve it, but the short of it is:

Up = S

Down = E

LT = N

RT = U

A = P

It seems too good to be a coincidence, though it's probably just there to tease us.

If I'm understanding the constriction of "net effect of one turn", this doesn't satisfy it.

kibbire think you're misreading- he was saying that's the unburnt code for the zero square, not an attempt at the solution.

I thought he meant that the code inputted to "solve" the monolith would end with a single rotation after the code is finished.

sorry i wasn't clear maybe? or maybe i'm misunderstanding- i think what timewraith was doing was showing that the unburnt code, the one we have already, can be turned into a word, namely, suspense, in response to some people asking if the code we have might have a translation/if it might be helpful. hence why it doesn't meet the net turn/other criteria.

sorry i wasn't clear maybe? or maybe i'm misunderstanding- i think what timewraith was doing was showing that the unburnt code, the one we have already, can be turned into a word, namely, suspense, in response to some people asking if the code we have might have a translation/if it might be helpful. hence why it doesn't meet the net turn/other criteria.

That's totally what I was going for.

You know what also matches that pattern?

"unuseful", as in, what this line of reasoning is.

"Ebenezer". Perhaps Phil Fish is just a Scrooge and there is no answer?

"elevated", so maybe we need to fly up in the air for hours in the monolith room to find the solution?

:p

You know what also matches that pattern?

"unuseful", as in, what this line of reasoning is.

"Ebenezer". Perhaps Phil Fish is just a Scrooge and there is no answer?

"elevated", so maybe we need to fly up in the air for hours in the monolith room to find the solution?

:p

So we have an idea and you shoot it down? You got something better?

Quite frankly, all I've seen people have is a list of 16,000+ combinations they want to throw up, and if that's what you're into then go ahead, but you're not even doing the puzzle the way it was intended. We're trying to solve this with logic, not with abusing spare time. If you had to break open a padlock, you wouldn't try each of the 3^60 possible combinations, would you?

I think Timewraith's idea is brilliant. And, maybe we could choose words that only have the letters used in Suspense?

Maybe a word that ends in "ee", and we input it backwards?

The only other word that is 7 or 8 letters and uses only the same letters as "suspense" is "unsense".

If a word (any word that fits the pattern, not necessarily suspense though it does seem a nice coincidence for those grasping at anything seemingly significant - me just as much as anyone) is plugged into the existing translation table, does a pattern emerge like the pattern of every six English letters (roughly, I know there's exceptions) corresponding to one side of the writing cube. If so, wouldn't that validate that button press for that side of the cube which could at least then be used for back translating the final sequence once it's cracked?

I'm not smart enough to figure out any way that this info could be used to move *forward* in order to arrive at the final sequence though.

If a word (any word that fits the pattern, not necessarily suspense though it does seem a nice coincidence for those grasping at anything seemingly significant - me just as much as anyone) is plugged into the existing translation table, does a pattern emerge like the pattern of every six English letters (roughly, I know there's exceptions) corresponding to one side of the writing cube. If so, wouldn't that validate that button press for that side of the cube which could at least then be used for back translating the final sequence once it's cracked?

I'm not smart enough to figure out any way that this info could be used to move *forward* in order to arrive at the final sequence though.

I believe someone tried this, they used the letters in the tome and used them on the writing cube, and it was something like "P to A = RT", "A to U = Up" and something along those lines. Fruitless, though.

I think Timewraith's idea is brilliant. And, maybe we could choose words that only have the letters used in Suspense?

Maybe a word that ends in "ee", and we input it backwards?

That's not a bad idea, I haven't had any luck in that department though.

So we have an idea and you shoot it down? You got something better?

Quite frankly, all I've seen people have is a list of 16,000+ combinations they want to throw up, and if that's what you're into then go ahead, but you're not even doing the puzzle the way it was intended. We're trying to solve this with logic, not with abusing spare time. If you had to break open a padlock, you wouldn't try each of the 3^60 possible combinations, would you?

Just a joke, no need to get hostile.

Honestly this thing is just frying my brain. But I don't believe we're going to get anywhere with words. However, I'm happy to put together word lists within my programming capability if you guys want. It's good practice.

Using the clues treyher threw out and others had pieced together (first two are the same, 3rd isn't A, multiple sets of 2, and net 90 degree rotation), I wrote a program to generate the possible combinations. It came up with 3760 combos. Incredibly, one of them worked!

down down LT RT RT A up

Someone else give that a shot.