Should Achievements Be Handed To You?

Wurmstrom

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Story Related achievements, but at the same time it tells me how close i am to beating the game usually, which i like to keep as an unknown factor. So yeah i'd rather have Skill based ones.

Just simply don't check the achievements until you have beaten the game.

I think they are fine the way they are now. Sure the achievements for getting past a certain level may seem automatic, but you have to have some kind of skill to get past the level in the first place.

The only automatic ones I know of are the ones that say Press Start at the title screen. But those are pretty rare not many games do that from what I've seen.

I dont mind difficultly achievements, I'm a casual gamer and admit I'm not great so if achievement is to much for me I will have to let it go. It wouldnt be an achievement if al were to easy now i feel. What i hate is online achievements just for the simple point is that i feel i shouldnt need to pay for live to go on and grab some achievements. Of if u gonna do it ... do an offline mode with bots or something. Thats my own problem with achievements lol

• 5 years later...

Having read through the previous posts in this thread I´ve seen some good arguments for a lot of changes or in favor of not making changes.

I don´t think there is a perfect solution to how achievements should be handled because there is such a vast amount of different types of gamers out there.

My two cents to this discussion would be to keep it somewhat like it is. I like there to be achievements for "simple" story progression. Why? In my mind it entices people to actually go for the story mode and also maybe work as a hint to fellow gamers of how far you´ve progressed in the game. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

I think it is important to provide achievements to both the hardcore gamers and the casual ones.

The only thing that I would like is for the glitched achievements to become a thing of the past. With proper QA it should be possible to ship a game where everything is unlockable day one. :)

• 2 months later...

No achievement is ever handed to you. Anyone who brings up The Simpsons Game can shove it. Everything requires some amount of skill and time invested. Doesn't matter if the achievement is as simple as 'Complete chapter 3 of the Campaign on Normal Mode' or 'Complete the entire game on Extreme Mode without ever dying or killing an enemy, with the TV off, holding the controller upside down with a salmon taped to your face'. Different levels of skill and dedication for different achievements. They cannot all be held to the same level since not all achievements are created equal.

Doesn't matter if the achievement is as simple as 'Complete chapter 3 of the Campaign on Normal Mode' or 'Complete the entire game on Extreme Mode without ever dying or killing an enemy, with the TV off, holding the controller upside down with a salmon taped to your face'.

:rofl: I'd love to watch someone go for that on a stream!

I'm happy with progression Achievements. It opens the door to some clever Achievement names that can accentuate the story.