Buy Fallout 3 or New Vegas?

duff28

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Huh? What do you mean? I'm running them both on a Mac in Crossover just fine, albeit with the Tale of Two Wastelands mod, but I see no reason why a PC user should have any issue when I'm playing it on a computer that's not even supported. Just make sure you have at least 2GB of RAM, because both Fallouts eat RAM, 4+ GB with NVSE or FOSE 4GB enabler is best if you have it.

Like most older computer games, they weren't programmed for newer operating systems. Technically Fallout 3 isn't compatible with windows 7. That being said, I've been running it fine on my windows 7 machine, I did have to make one minor edit to the .ini file though.

Fallout 3 isn't compatible with cpu's that have more than 2 cores, you simply have to edit it's ini file to only use two and you should have no problems.

BTW, The Tale of Two Wastelands mod makes Fallout 3 run in the New Vegas engine, which is most likely why you haven't had any issues.

Edited by ReaptheChaos

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have never played a Fallout game before but i have 100% Skyrim.

What would you recommend i buy?

(Also posted in the New Vegas forum)

I, like you, love Skyrim. I've done everything there is to do in that game. That being said, it does have its flaws (bugs, glitches, broken quests). Fallout 3 is a very open world with many things to do. It has also been around longer than NV so most of the bugs have been smoothed out. F:NV is a very glitchy game and the story is nowhere near as compelling.

Fallout 3 has a larger, denser map, and the story is genuinely interesting. Fallout New Vegas is not a bad game by any means, 3 is just better in almost every way.

Also, there is the price to consider (editions with all DLC):

Fallout 3 GOTY: $15-$20

Fallout New Vegas UE: $35-$40

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Both are great games. They both are dirt cheap now as you could get New Vegas for 15$ and Fallout 3 for 7$ or less.

I guess if I had to boil it down I'd say Fallout 3 I loved more.

The locations in New Vegas and quests weren't as good. Most ''exploring'' had me look at an dead end cave,a building which I couldn't go into,and too many annoying ''places'' like a wrecked caravan,Ant hill,a fishermans spot on the water over run by mirelurks,a crashed airliner under water,places like West side,and South New Vegas which were boring,ect.

People love to say the storys suck but I liked 3's story a million times more then New Vegas. I just felt as the story wasn't as strong and I had to play through it 4 times,lol.

I have 1000 gs in New Vegas,and 1000gs and Platnium in Fallout 3. I plan on getting Fallout 3 goty soon just for the dlcs.

Edited by Deadsea 1993

• 1 month later...

I think I'm in the minority when I say that I think New Vegas is a superior game in almost every fashion. Frankly, I thought Fallout 3 had a rather poor story. It was disappointing since I expected something more grandeur, and very short. Short enough to where you can beat it within a few hours. It's still a great game, but no where near the level of New Vegas.

Another thing you might to keep in mind is whether or not you played the original games like Fallout and Fallout. F3 really took liberty with the lore of the original games, whereas NV utilizes the lore instead. That, along with better customization, more interaction and side quests from companions, faction standing, more places to visit, a story that encompasses the whole game, etc, etc, is what makes me feel that New Vegas simply makes Fallout 3 look...well...weak.

In the end, everybody should buy both since both are good. If you want to play a game that feels like living out in a wasteland, F3 is a good choice. If you want a game that shows humanity is on it's way to recovery, New Vegas is your better shot.

I think I'm in the minority when I say that I think New Vegas is a superior game in almost every fashion. Frankly, I thought Fallout 3 had a rather poor story. It was disappointing since I expected something more grandeur, and very short. Short enough to where you can beat it within a few hours. It's still a great game, but no where near the level of New Vegas.

Another thing you might to keep in mind is whether or not you played the original games like Fallout and Fallout. F3 really took liberty with the lore of the original games, whereas NV utilizes the lore instead. That, along with better customization, more interaction and side quests from companions, faction standing, more places to visit, a story that encompasses the whole game, etc, etc, is what makes me feel that New Vegas simply makes Fallout 3 look...well...weak.

In the end, everybody should buy both since both are good. If you want to play a game that feels like living out in a wasteland, F3 is a good choice. If you want a game that shows humanity is on it's way to recovery, New Vegas is your better shot.

I feel completely differently about these games, Fallout New Vegas was not as good because the setting was frankly bad, as walking through a nuclear desert filled with Deathclaws and Cazadors that kill you instantly is not very fun. New Vegas really lacked the diversity in setting that made Fallout 3 so fun in terms of exploring.

Also the story of New Vegas suffers I believe from a lack of characters which you really care about, at least in my opinion. In Fallout 3, Three Dog, your Father, and Sarah Lyons all at least to me were characters who I actually cared about while playing through the game. In New Vegas, I cannot remember a single character who I cared about, and I think this sense of isolation if nothing else detracts from New Vegas significantly.

Finally the DLC of the two games give Fallout 3 a clear advantage as well. The Pitt and Point Lookout are both fantastic add-ons, and add new areas which are unique and interesting to explore. Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta give some pretty sweet loot, and Broken Steel raises the level cap and adds some interesting missions as well which are very nice. Fallout New Vegas' DLC was no where near as good. Dead Money was pure crap, and Honest Hearts felt uninspired and tedious. Old World Blues was added some cool new items to the game, but all the missions seemed to be fetch quests which just became more tediousness. Lonesome Road was finally an add-on that was worth-while, but it cannot save the DLC as a whole, which I thought paled in comparison to the DLC of Fallout 3.

• 2 weeks later...
I think I'm in the minority when I say that I think New Vegas is a superior game in almost every fashion.

1. Frankly, I thought Fallout 3 had a rather poor story. It was disappointing since I expected something more grandeur, and very short. Short enough to where you can beat it within a few hours. It's still a great game, but no where near the level of New Vegas.

2. Another thing you might to keep in mind is whether or not you played the original games like Fallout and Fallout. F3 really took liberty with the lore of the original games, whereas NV utilizes the lore instead.

That, 3. along with better customization, more interaction and side quests from companions, faction standing, more places to visit, a story that encompasses the whole game, etc, etc, is what makes me feel that New Vegas simply makes Fallout 3 look...well...weak.

1.Not really the story made sense,Dad leaves the vault over seer goes crazy for fear of contamination,forces you to leave to search for DAD. You can't say ''Tranqulity Lane'' wasn't an amazing part from F3 can you ? In New Vegas sure you can side with 4 different factions but in 98% of all of them you are doing the same boring stuff over and over, destroy Brotherhood bunker,get Boomers to side with you,ect. By the 3rd time in story I was hating those faction achivements in story.

2. Maybe because the people that made the orginal Fallouts were from Black Isle studios the same guys made New Vegas ? F3 may have taken some liberties but not over kill.

3. What customazation ? you mean adding weapon mods which hardley made any difference to the weapons.

I disagree on the interaction in New Vegas,I grew more fond of people like Lucas Simms,Moira,Abrham Washington,3 Dogg,The chick from ''Stealing Independence'',the runaway Lincoln Obsessed slaves all were from F3,in New Vegas interacting with many people got boring as they wernt that intresting,the only ones I liked was Mr.New Vegas and The King. (ANd you can't interact with Mr.New Vegas :0 )

For faction standing that was neat until' I pissed off The Legion early on from the Powder ganger rescue quest. They would send assassins to kill me nonstop it really ruined my gameplay on that playthrough. Atleast killing Evil Mercs and Law bringers were easier in F3.

Also when you sided with someone the other factions hated you. I was villified by NCR and Legion and was only lucky I was able to hack the 25 terminals with 1 day to spare before the NCR came after me. I was at max level 30 and still they were too tough to kill. The Ranger said I had 3 days to get a better reputation with NCR. How when they shoot me on sight ?

I then had 1000 gs in NV and deleted that playthrough.

The side quests for the companions the only good one was Arcade Gannon's mission.

There was only 3 memorable locations in New Vegas, Hoover Dam,Dinky the Dino infront of Novac,and Repconn HQ. The exploring was a million times more fun in F3. Many places in New Vegas were unexplorable,and weak.

In NV I felt like a pawn doing errands for people,in F3 I felt like everyone depended on me and my choices.

Edited by Deadsea 1993

• 2 weeks later...

I love both games equally. I actually preferred the locations in the Mojave (NV) to the Capital Wasteland (3). They were just more exciting, I guess? The glitches I found in NV did ruin it for me at some points, but I liked the variety of groups in the Mojave, like the Great Khans, and Boomers, and such. Also, the Wild Wasteland perk added a lot of great trivia I found interesting.

I would actually suggest buying both.

• 2 weeks later...

Fallout 3 was amazing! I think that it is also better than New Vegas. I enjoy the setting of DC over the Strip for all of the exploring that had to be done. Also the enemies in 3 were mostly Super Mutants and Ghouls which were very sparse in New Vegas. The story in 3 was awesome and it had the same goal the entire time unlike NV.

• 1 year later...