Opinions on this Game?

I enjoyed this game personally. It could, and in my opinion should, have been the start to an amazing franchise. The world is vast and filled with interesting locations, creatures, and characters. There are a large amount of side quests to do. The gameplay is excellent. It's easily the best part of the game. It's very action based combat. Which I personally love. There are a nice variety of weapons to choose from based on your destiny (class.) The Destiny System is wonderful. It allows you to change your class at any time. So feel free to experiment with different playstyles.

I liked the story. It's not as epic as something from Bioware for example. But it is still a decent narrative with interesting plot development and characters that will pique your interest. The game has some decent length to it. Obviously with games like this you get out of it what you want to invest in it. You can blaze through the plot if so choose. But if you take the time to explore every area, do every side quest, play all of the DLC, and go for all of the achievements it will definitely take you over a 100 hours. So it's a nice bang for your buck game.

The game does have some downsides to it. (Every game does though.) The art style won't be for everyone. It isn't as graphically impressive as I'd like. For example, the character models and textures seem to be lacking for a game made in 2012 in my opinion. This is a petty nitpick, but I wanted to cover everything. The game is incredibly easy. I would honestly say it's as easy as Fable. Even if you play it on the highest difficulty from the beginning. This isn't really an issue until you've put a good 100 hours or so into it. But once you hit max level, (which you'll do well before the end of the game) you can clear an entire room with one spell. Some people won't see this as an issue. Some will. So that's why I mentioned it.

The game is an easy but time consuming 1000. If that's what you're looking for. You can get every achievement in 1 thorough playthrough. You will have to respec and change your class a few times to get those specific achievements.

I think that covers pretty much everything. Overall I enjoyed my time with the game thoroughly. I'm very sad to see the developer go under. I have high hopes that another developer/publisher will rescue this franchise from oblivion. It really deserves a sequel with some improvements made to key areas. Have fun if you decide to play it. I hope you enjoy your adventure. :)

• 2 weeks later...

There are some great items to loot along the way, and there are plenty of them. Plus with a good Balcksmith skill, you can create your own from components found along the way. You can respec your character anytime you want. Just need a fateweaver and you can change from a warrior to a mage if you so choose.

Plenty of quests to sink your teeth into. I was 45 hours in before I started the main quest, and that included the Legend of Dead Kel dlc. Which is pretty bland really, but I got plenty of hours out of it. Its easy to make gold in it as well. Get your Mercantile and Detect Hidden skills up and you're onto a winner.

Its a lot like Fable, but more grown up. I love the fantasy setting, and the lush colourful graphics. Characters are so-so. All the Gnomes sound Scottish and all the Fae sound Irish, and there doesn't seem to be many voice actors, or talented ones. But that's really my only gripe with the game.

Lastly, achievements are really easy, just be prepared for a big time sink. I've just hit 50 hours and I have 835g. I paid £15 just over a week ago and think I got bargain of the year. I would recommend it if your looking for a good RPG.

• 4 months later...

For the life of me I cannot understand why this game didn't do better than it did. The only thing I can think of is that it was to "long-winded" for many gamers. People bitch when they get a 6 hr campaign, and then when a game like this comes along that really gives you your value for your money, people gripe that it's too long.

Anyway, I've put 100 hrs into the campaign and just have a few achievements left to tidy up before going into the DLC and I have really enjoyed this game. The graphics are amazing with most locations looking simply breath-taking. The story is decent. The combat system and mechanics are incredible. It runs smooth, and in a period of time where a majority of the games coming out run like shit, have game-breaking glitches, and are just altogether sub-par, this game is a breath of fresh air, and I highly recommend it.

Keep in mind that the game was designed by Ken Rolston, who was responsible for Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. So if you've played that, be prepared for some mechanics to be very similar (crafting/repairing armor/weapons, picking up reagents, pick-pocketing, etc.).

And it really is kind of Oblivion meets Fable, but it's actually better in many ways than those games are individually. The combat system in general is better than either of those games.

One drawback is, despite being a single-player only game, EA decided it needed an online pass. And if you don't have it, it removes the Arena and an obtainable house from the game. These aren't crucial, mind you (and I'm fairly sure no achievements are tied to it), but it is rather annoying that they did this as it's pretty blatant that they are just trying to squeeze $10 out of anyone who purchases the game pre-owned.

Another thing I noticed is that the beginning of the game is far more intricate than the end. You will spend a great deal of time with the interconnected quests in the first area, but once you move on to the next two, the quests become less frequent and they rarely connect to one another unless they are part of the main questline. It just seemed like they started running out of funds as they tried to get the game out the door. Not that the end is shit or anything, just very sparse.

Also, the menu system is very adequate. It works, but don't expect to be blown away with the game's inventory/map system. It gets the job done, but is very rudimentary, like it never got to a state where they were able to fine-tune it.

The DLC isn't bad, but it'll probably be better to wait for it to go on sale again (if that ever happens) to help minimize the cost to get those achievements.

Still, a decent game that I'm surprised didn't have a greater following.

• 3 weeks later...

I really enjoyed this also, I agree with pretty much everything else people have said. But like Alucard said, if you are looking for something really challenging this might not be the best choice. Crafting is way OP imo, by the end of the game I had weapons that could pretty much 2-shot anything. Don't get me wrong it was still fun to play but just very easy and I was playing on the hardest difficulty.

This game is one of my top 5 favorites of all time, that's how much I personally liked it. I also bought 2 DLC's (Teeth of Naros and The Legend of Dead Kel). I think anyone who truly enjoys RPG's will love this game. I did every quest and got every achievement and enjoyed myself the entire time. I never felt like it was repetitive. It is original and immersive and I would highly recommend the game and the above DLC's to anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

*ECHO*

Just echoing what has been said - this game was amazing. I beat the entirety of the game - every quest, every side mission, read all the lore/books, all the DLC, and even spent forever harvesting for equipment components etc. Your total game time can easily be 200+ hours.

It dragged on at a few points, but was open-ended enough that you could change what you were doing if your particular quest/area got a tad boring.

Its a shame that they couldn't do more with it as the company tanked - my only major complaint which limits this from being a 10/10 title in my book is the inventory management - the things that got perma-stuck in your inventory and the sheer amount of awesome epic unique loot begged for DLC which could give you more storage space. Luckily the merchants maintain what you sell them, so you can use them (in particular in the Legend of Dead Kel DLC) to store specific types of items (i.e. books/scrolls/texts, unique accessories, weapons, etc.) that don't fit in your small stash. But, if they simple allowed you to use a "bookshelf"-type item in your house to store those books etc, it would've been preferable for those who are OCD collectors in-game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

F*ckin BIG HUGE game! (get it? :D)

Already at 124h, still not crossed Driana's Vein.

Will easily hit the 200h with DLC.

These guys deserve better. They build one of the biggest games ever done. Great effort put into this one.

It has its flaws, off course, the most obvious one(to me) is the lack of memorable moments and characters. Mainly the characters, really dull and bore. But, interestingly, the voice acting is pretty good.

• 1 month later...

I love this game it's really good, i feel it didn't get as much attention given the larger title's similar to this game such as Elder scrolls, Dragon Age and fable.

But the graphics on this are amazing the cartoonish effect without cell shade, the world is just so colourful and vibrant and it's nice to see something different from the prior mentioned titles.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am loving it so far, i am about thirty hours and and fifty odd quests in.I have to admit i had low expectations for this game but i have been pleasantly surprised i might even have to get the DLC.I know i'm late in playing it but i need to try and clear my backlog a bit.

• 9 months later...

This is hands down one of my favorite RPGs of all time. It is a really enjoyable experience, and it is extremely re-playable. It's story-line is fairly unique, as well as the art style, but it also has a lot of similar aspects to other popular RPGs, like Skyrim for example.

It has a huge open-world atmosphere, character customization that doesn't confine you to one class, multiple guilds to join, choices that impact the game, sweet sweet loot, crafting (which albeit can be way overpowered), alchemy (always one of my personal favorites), non-terrible voice acting, quests that aren't all the same, and monsters that are interesting.

The game can be really easy if you are a regular RPG fan, but it is still entertaining and fun to play. I actually bought both DLCs, and that is saying something from me xD

Its a shame that they couldn't do more with it as the company tanked - my only major complaint which limits this from being a 10/10 title in my book is the inventory management - the things that got perma-stuck in your inventory and the sheer amount of awesome epic unique loot begged for DLC which could give you more storage space. Luckily the merchants maintain what you sell them, so you can use them (in particular in the Legend of Dead Kel DLC) to store specific types of items (i.e. books/scrolls/texts, unique accessories, weapons, etc.) that don't fit in your small stash. But, if they simple allowed you to use a "bookshelf"-type item in your house to store those books etc, it would've been preferable for those who are OCD collectors in-game.

*psst* You did know that there are several random merchants where you could buy backpack upgrades right? ;) Plus you can end up having at least three houses which is three different stashes.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Movements are nice, but will have to slow down the camera rotation down a touch.

Guys. The achievement guide doesn't state which achievements are missable, or I may have missed that part. I started the game only to find its full of more f**king collectables.

Can I get Loremaster or whatever the f**k its called just before the last quest. Can't be f**king arsed sat next to a PC checking guides every step I take. Just want to crash and enjoy it. So what achievements are missable so that I can keep an eye on those?

• 7 years later...