Recommended controllers?

stuhp

I'm likely in the market for a new controller here, just in time for Halo 4. Hoping that I'll get some good feedback here.

Loose sticks, sensitive triggers/ buttons, and no party buzzing feedback when using my Turtle Beach's (comes from my MadCatz FPS Pro). Maybe wired. Also, a not horrid d-pad. Sure hope that isn't too much to ask for :D

I've worked with Microsoft controllers and MadCatz controllers. I've been thinking about the Razer controllers, but the reviews are 50:50 on that Onza Tournament Edition, so I dunno. I also can't seem to find any info about just how different the Limited Edition Microsoft controller is from the regulars (like stick resistance, 'cause the ones on the regulars are stiff, and also quickly prone to drifting from the deadzone after some use).

Any suggestions?

A scuf controller is exactly what you are looking for.

Here is a video explaining the controller.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlhTMfA4M50&feature=g-user-u]Want to Beast on Black Ops2 and Halo? Scuf controller will help - YouTube[/ame]

Heres a link to the website for the company who sells them,

http://scufgaming.com/

Coupon code in description of the youtube video.

Yeah I've heard of the Scufs myself. I looked up the website a couple times when one person was comparing them to Mad Catz' FPS Pro. The small bits in the triggers are a nice touch, but I'm pretty turned off by the idea that the back paddles are preset at purchase, and aren't changeable afterwards. Call me spoiled, but surely that should be an option for such a community of controller modders - even if FPS Pro's 'combat buttons' aren't exactly up to snuff either (placement problems). And, as far as the different stick options go, I suppose Kontrol Freek is always an alternative.

I'll heed word on the Onza for the meantime, see if anyone else has something different to say. But what about the limited edition controllers, still? I get that its d-pad is a slight improvement over the regular's. But, more importantly, do the sticks handle any different, resistance-wise, from the regular's?

Edited by stuhp

I'm using the razer onza, and i'm really liking the way it works, if you get the tournament edition (which is only 10$ more) you can change the sensitivity of the joysticks, to make it easier to move or tighten them. The buttons are really nice as well, easy to press down. I ignore the second bumpers it has, just map it to one of the bumpers and it's fine if you don't want it set to anything.

There's my opinion on the razer onza.

The buttons are really nice as well, easy to press down.

How about the triggers? I've noticed they extend outwards a bit - more likely for racing than shooting. Any problems with that when trying to play shooters - like needing to press down more, etc.? Or are they sensitive enough that you don't notice the difference?

EDIT: Should probably want to start throwing out vids that I've seen over the controllers discussed. Here's one comparing the Scufs alongside the FPS Pro:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QlaQqb8i_g]CONTROLLER COMPARISON (SCUF Gaming - Mad Catz MLG - Mad Catz FPS Pro - Controller Chaos) - YouTube[/ame]

Here's another talking about the Onza and Onza TE (makes note of the extended triggers):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE2phSLc-Ug]Razer Onza Controller Review - YouTube[/ame]

I suppose I should also mention the Mad Catz MLG in my so-called "wish list" of controllers I'm looking at, but I dunno. Pricey to start, kind of a turn off right there.

Edited by stuhp

How about the triggers? I've noticed they extend outwards a bit - more likely for racing than shooting. Any problems with that when trying to play shooters - like needing to press down more, etc.? Or are they sensitive enough that you don't notice the difference?

Haven't tried racing but I think it would work fine for it, and shooters wise, it's a lot different but nothing too hard to get used to, it's just a longer trigger.

The ONZA feels super cheap in my hand and I've already had to RMA two of them due to trigger buttons failing.

It's great in concept but poorly executed, much like, well, all of Razer's products.

The latest ones we've stocked have a rubberized cord instead of the more awesome plastic/fabric weave cord, too, which is pretty nutball so far as cost-cutting measures go.

The ONZA feels super cheap in my hand and I've already had to RMA two of them due to trigger buttons failing.

It's great in concept but poorly executed, much like, well, all of Razer's products.

The latest ones we've stocked have a rubberized cord instead of the more awesome plastic/fabric weave cord, too, which is pretty nutball so far as cost-cutting measures go.

Braided is the word you're looking for ;) I have a preference for those, too. Just unfortunate that, especially with mice, that braiding starts to tear if it keeps rubbing up against something like a desk corner. Only just started having that problem with the Black Ops version of that FPS Pro.

Just went back to using the regular Microsoft controllers, wireless, for the sake of testing feel. Slight more resistance than usual from the FPS Pro, but the aiming feels a tad more precise. Also since dumbed down the amount of wireless crap in my room to reduce interference. Feels about the same now as a wired controller. I might~ just end up going towards that limited edition for the sake of updating to the "new and improved" (even if not by much) as I've certificates to spare with Best Buy.

We'll see how that goes soon enough.

Edited by stuhp

• 1 month later...

I'm considering getting a Scuf controller in the near future, assuming the Competition one is ever in stock again, and had a couple of questions for those with them.

1) Xbox analog sticks vs PS3 analog sticks. I hear a lot that the domed PS3 ones are way better... why is that exactly? Does the thumb slide less or something?

2) The trigger stops mention they recommend it for GoW and COD only. I don't really see why only those 2 games. A trigger press is a trigger press, if one game registers it should all be able to register it?

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-controllers/razer-sabertooth

http://assets.razerzone.com/eeimages/products/6000/razer-sabertooth-940x573-new.png

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ocWQPPg0g]Razer Sabertooth rUnboxing Xbox 360 and PC Controller - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLbHnorLWBc]Razer Sabertooth In-Depth Xbox 360 and PC Controller - YouTube[/ame]

I would go for the first-party silver controller, with the changable D-Pad.

However, if you are going for a more MLG style, I think you should check out the scuf controllers. The main benefit of scuf controllers is that instead of L3 and R3 being clicked in on the sticks, there are extra buttons on the back. This has a pretty heavy overall benefit.

2) The trigger stops mention they recommend it for GoW and COD only. I don't really see why only those 2 games. A trigger press is a trigger press, if one game registers it should all be able to register it?

Thanks.

Not necessarily, some games register half trigger pulls. For example, Hitman Absolution. You can hold the trigger down half way to slow down time so you can line up headshots better, then press it down all the way to fire. So in Call of Duty it might register a trigger press at about half way, where in Hitman it won't. The triggers actually use potentiometers, like the thumbsticks do for movement.

Edited by FarmerJay

I havn't heard of any of these controllers. I would personally just stick with the official MS ones. Today at Target, I saw some black ones with the transforming D pad but it only comes in a bundle with a battery pack and play and charge cable. But who in the blue hell uses a Play and Charge kit instead of a quick charge kit? The only thing I could think of is if you only own one controller.. that would make the play and charge kit ideal.

Also what are these so called "dead spots" in the analog sticks? The only time I ever heard about this was when I was in a heated debate with a PS3 fanboy running off at the mouth. Can anyone explain this?

Not necessarily, some games register half trigger pulls. For example, Hitman Absolution. You can hold the trigger down half way to slow down time so you can line up headshots better, then press it down all the way to fire. So in Call of Duty it might register a trigger press at about half way, where in Hitman it won't. The triggers actually use potentiometers, like the thumbsticks do for movement.

That's interesting. Haven't come across any games like that. If I have, I definitely didn't know about it, much less use it.

I have a Standard wireless, Standard wired, Limited edition ms (adj d=pad) and a Razer Onza TE. I have always liked the standard microsoft controllers, but hated the d-pad for fighting games as they were useless.

My Razer has been going awesomely for like a year, but have been using the new limited edition ms one lately, which i think is the tits although the best thing about the TE's adjustable sticks is usin them for Forza, makes it alot smoother!