Nurse Commits Suicide After Australian Radio 'Royal Prank'

iBuzz7S

The Australian radio station that broadcast the hoax phone call to the King Edward VII's Hospital, where Kate Middleton was being treated for acute morning sickness, has been caught in a furious backlash following the death of the nurse who took the prank call.

Jacintha Saldanha, a nurse who was staffing the hospital's switchboard when the call came in, was found dead at an address close to the hospital just before 9.30am today.

Saldhanha took the phone call on Wednesday from two Australian DJs, Mel Greig and Michael Christian, who were pretending to be the Queen and Prince Philip asking after Kate's condition.

2DayFM don't have a good track record when it comes to things going wrong, but this is just bullshit. While partly the blame, no one told the nurse to reveal information on a patient, one who is apart of the royal family.

It is sad no matter what you think of it, but to blame those who made the phone call is far-fetched. She believed that the radio hosts were part of the royal family and chose to disclose information.

Source: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/412732/20121207/jacintha-saldanha-backlash-kate-middleton-prank-call.htm

Edited by iBuzz7S

So many idiot commenters on that article....everyone needs to calm down for a second. Firstly nobody has proved whether the suicide and the prank are related and secondly she wasn't even the nurse that you hear in the prank, she merely routed the phone call through. Oh and thirdly there was quite obviously other issues at hand for the lady, issues which the DJ's would not have known in any way. So everyone rushing in and saying lets charge the DJs with manslaughter, jeez. It's a shame, the prank wasn't even that funny....

So many idiot commenters on that article....everyone needs to calm down for a second. Firstly nobody has proved whether the suicide and the prank are related and secondly she wasn't even the nurse that you hear in the prank, she merely routed the phone call through. Oh and thirdly there was quite obviously other issues at hand for the lady, issues which the DJ's would not have known in any way. So everyone rushing in and saying lets charge the DJs with manslaughter, jeez. It's a shame, the prank wasn't even that funny....

Yeah people need to relax a bit I think. She obviously had some other serious issues, it is ridiculous to think she killed herself over a prank. Last I heard it wasn't even proven she had committed suicide, and if she did actually kill herself for any reason then in my opinion she is a selfish moron and I couldn't care less why she did it.

So many idiot commenters on that article....everyone needs to calm down for a second.

This is why i gave up with mainstream media, outlets use hyped up headlines and almost every idiot who reads it thinks they are experts on the subject and think they should have a say on the matter like their word is law. Even Buzz's thread description is speculatory (no offence Buzz:p)

Although i'm not taking sides, it is a shame to see the shitstorm that's hit the 2 DJ's, sad thing is in a few days everyone will have moved on to the next issue the media tells them to bitch about.

Even Buzz's thread description is speculatory (no offence Buzz:p)

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me24pfIwGt1qf2dg2o4_250.gif

I'm only going with all the shit I've been reading on Twitter and Facebook. Such a good laugh seeing how everyone knows so much and it's entirely the fault of 2DayFM for airing the prank live on air.

On the flipside, the legal team let it happen but there is no word on whether the network had the consent of the hospital/nurse to air the prank.

Either way, she broke patient confidentiality code.

How ever funny, glib or just down right fucking stupid all this is. Jacintha was not just a nurse, she was a wife and a mother of 2 children, who no longer have a mother 2 weeks before christmas, their mother's career was ruined by an error of judgement, and it is now an established fact she was devastated by the backlash from this. The call was taken in the early hours of the morning by a nurse who was probably working ridiculous shift hours to provide for her family, as this seems to be the way our NHS service treats it's over worked staff. All this just because some cheap 2 bit radio station with a history of shock tactics wanted to get some ratings, in fact a station who's leadership were so low, did nothing to apologise until the advertisers pulled out and it started hurting them finnancially. So do not even begin to pretend that this was just some nurse, atitudes like that are just why pricks like 2DayFM exist in the first place. Sad for the DJ's don't make me laugh cos I'm sure her kids and husband think it is fucking hilarious.

From what I've read on the matter, I agree with this.

Everyone needs to quite pointing fingers. They didn't force her to commit suicide, she obviously had bigger issues if she was willing to take her own life. The prank was pretty terrible (as in, not funny), but I definitely don't think the DJs should be held accountable.

+1 on it being beyond idiotic to legitimately place blame on the hosts. I don't think the prank was intelligent or funny, but to call it manslaughter is insane. Consider the aftermath if the prank didn't lead to a suicide, which would be the outcome 99%+ of the time. Maybe a few people come out and say it was in bad taste, and it probably ends there. But because the person they called happened to have her own personal issues, which they had absolutely no way of knowing of course, suddenly what they did is infinitely worse and deserving of severe punishment. And what astounds me even further is it's not just one or two people. It's almost everyone commenting.

I thought the nurse that killed herself was the one that transferred the call to the ward, not the one that actually gave out the information.

It was at 5:30am, no one was on in reception and she just decided to take the call.

My whole family pretty much works in a hospital. My mother seems to think it wasn't the DJ's responsible, but more the harassment she faced from upper management. They would of flipped their shit and she was probably facing termination regardless of what the media writes.

Reading over 2DayFM's Facebook comments, and you get some really weird people commenting. Give it a week or two and you wont give a shit who the DJ's where, the station name or remember the city its even in. So many complaints from people not even in Australia about how they should be fired etc. Why should you care, do you even listen to the station? Yet alone live in Australia?

Move on.

Just my 2c. I couldnt care less what happens to the DJ's/station.

I'm sure he does care, but any person who takes their own life and leaves behind children, clearly they were selfish.

Wait until it happens to you. My dad left behind 4 children, and we have no idea why he did it. There were things going horribly wrong in his life, and his mental state far outweighed his common sense. Obviously, I don't believe that he should have done it, but I wouldn't call him selfish and stamp all over his memory.

The nurse might not have been in the right state of mind for a long time, struggling through some personal issues. If upper management were giving her hell for it, it's just going to make the problems so much worse.

I struggle with a lot of things in life, and get depressed very, very easily. Small issues can very quickly become huge issues for someone who is at the end of their tether, and can easily be the trigger for you to take your own life.

I can see her being upset over being pranked but to kill herself? Maybe she was going to lose her job over it but again, to kill herself? There has to be more to what was going on in her life. Or she was just really over sensitive. Sad for sure.

I can't even imagine the shame and humiliation she went through.

Bloods on the DJ's hands.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me24pfIwGt1qf2dg2o4_250.gif

I'm only going with all the shit I've been reading on Twitter and Facebook. Such a good laugh seeing how everyone knows so much and it's entirely the fault of 2DayFM for airing the prank live on air.

This news is tragic. The nurse was in her mid 40s and was a mother of 2.

This is what the 2day FM presenters said:

"We're very confident that we haven't done anything illegal. What happened was incredibly tragic and we're deeply saddened and we're incredibly affected by that."

However, Bond University media law expert, Mark Pearson, said the DJs could have broken the law by not telling Ms Saldanha that the call was being recorded.

So they wont get done for manslaughter, but they will get done for not telling the nurse that they were recording the phone call in which they pretended to be a part of the British royal family in order to get confidential information about Kate Middleton?

I thought you could be arrested for impersonating a police officer? There is no laws against impersonating the royal family?

They also had a 14yr old girl that claimed she was raped, prove it live on air by taking a lie detector test. They had already had a warning about this and I found it pretty harsh.