Official MMA Thread

Creech

Sports Bar Rules:

No Flaming! - Feel free to disagree, be passionate about your favorite team(s), etc., but if you attack another member of the site you may find yourself less than welcome.

No Spam! - The key here is to discuss the sport/teams/players in question, not to throw out random comments unrelated to anything.

Have Fun! - This is why we are all here, right? Keep it fun.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules, use the report function and that will let the moderation team know. We will address it as quickly as we can.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope the new MMA thread is even more active than the last. :uzi:

Man these FOX cards are even better than the PPV events.

As for Rory, yes it was an impressive performance, but against a faded legend who should be fighting in a lower weight class. I honestly don't know why Penn continues to fight at 170 when he's had the least success there compared to 155. He's never going to elite status again and might as well call it quits now. Such a shame to see him go out like this.

And just as I suspected as with the last two times he fought, Shogun has basically become a headhunter now - relying and always looking for that one-punch to end it through brawling instead using an efficient game plan. How many times did he try to use that looping overhand?

It's like his body won't allow him to stay in shape due to all the injuries he's sustained. To be fair he looked much better here than against Vera. But 30-26 was just disrespectful, no way did Gus beat him that bad.

Didn't even know there was UFC on today.
You serious?

@Gackt - weighing in on fight day will never work.. guys will be so drained and dead that they would not be able to fight..

I was there live and MAAAN.. dynamic! :eek::woop::p

Got to meet and get a pic with Jens Pulver and Bellator fighter Daniel Straus, Straus was a cool ass dude, by far the coolest fighter I have met yet!

BJ is 33 years old guys.. 155 is his home, he still has the speed and power to drop guys at that weight.. Rory looked excellent tho.

Tired as hell, will talk more about these fights tomorrow, and WHAT HAPPENED TO THESE FORUMS?!?

Edited by k1lls1gn

@Gackt - Nobody tells these guys that they can or can't cut weight.. they can choose to weigh in at there natural weight if they want too.. Frankie Edgar does.. But if they can get themselves down to that weight on that day, and have a clear advantage.. why not? There opponent signed the contract, trained for months to fight that specific opponent, and knew exactly what they were getting into before anything..

@Gackt - Nobody tells these guys that they can or can't cut weight.. they can choose to weigh in at there natural weight if they want too.. Frankie Edgar does.. But if they can get themselves down to that weight on that day, and have a clear advantage.. why not? There opponent signed the contract, trained for months to fight that specific opponent, and knew exactly what they were getting into before anything..

I know plenty of fighters do it...I just find it pretty pathetic that it's allowed. There is nothing great about a fighter dominating in a weight division when he's twice the size of the guys he is fighting. People like Rory Mcdonald only appear to have talent because of this very thing. Let him fight near his natural weight...he'd be fighting at 205 or maybe 185.

Works well for Okami...the only successful UFC Japanese fighter, but if he didn't cut the weight and fought at 205 he wouldn't have much success at all. I love Okami, one of my favorite fighters but he only does well at 185 because he is so much bigger than his opponents. I think making people weigh in on fight night to force them to fight more near their natural weights would be better is all.

Edited by Gackt

I know plenty of fighters do it...I just find it pretty pathetic that it's allowed. There is nothing great about a fighter dominating in a weight division when he's twice the size of the guys he is fighting. People like Rory Mcdonald only appear to have talent because of this very thing. Let him fight near his natural weight...he'd be fighting at 205 or maybe 185.

Works well for Okami...the only successful UFC Japanese fighter, but if he didn't cut the weight and fought at 205 he wouldn't have much success at all. I love Okami, one of my favorite fighters but he only does well at 185 because he is so much bigger than his opponents. I think making people weigh in on fight night to force them to fight more near their natural weights would be better is all.

I feel you bro but you know as well as I do that nothing will ever change about the weigh in system.

Cutting weight is way to ingrained in the wrestling, boxing and MMA communities (for that matter in any kind of fight community).

When I wrestled in high school I was the only member of my team that wrestled at his natural weight. Everyone else went through hell to cut.

When I wrestled in high school I was the only member of my team that wrestled at his natural weight. Everyone else went through hell to cut.

This is another thing, half of these guys are already so used to cutting weight already because they did it with wrestling, it's torture and is very mental, but if you do it right, like the Mike Dolce Diet.. then its easier. A lot of fighters will tell you cutting weight is the hardest part of fighting, that and making the walk to the cage.

Also on a side note, Benson Henderson really did fight the whole fight with the toothpick in his mouth

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkJScJaU4mM]Benson Henderson end of third round with toothpick in his mouth - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by k1lls1gn

Also on a side note, Benson Henderson really did fight the whole fight with the toothpick in his mouth

That's bad. That could be a huge fine for the organization and could jeopardize their license in that state. That is a massive health risk. That toothpick easily could have punctured his trachea or worse. The ref that was in charge of that fight may not ever be allowed to work in that state again. He might even lose his license completely.

That's bad. That could be a huge fine for the organization and could jeopardize their license in that state. That is a massive health risk. That toothpick easily could have punctured his trachea or worse. The ref that was in charge of that fight may not ever be allowed to work in that state again. He might even lose his license completely.
I don't think Benson will get in trouble for it, or the ref or anything like that.. it is very dangerous to himself and his opponent tho. They will probably slap him on the hand, and the next time he fights they will be really checking him and give him plenty of warnings about it.. I would imagine he hid it underneath his mouth piece.

I don't think Benson will get in trouble for it, or the ref or anything like that.. it is very dangerous to himself and his opponent tho. They will probably slap him on the hand, and the next time he fights they will be really checking him and give him plenty of warnings about it.. I would imagine he hid it underneath his mouth piece.

Nothing serious would happen to the fighter in any case. Its the promoting organization and everyone else in charge of making sure the fight adheres to the safety procedures set in place by the governing body in that state that are at risk for some sort of punitive action.

Nothing serious would happen to the fighter in any case. Its the promoting organization and everyone else in charge of making sure the fight adheres to the safety procedures set in place by the governing body in that state that are at risk for some sort of punitive action.
If something would have happened I think it would be a lot more serious, but nothing did and they were both safe, it will probably never happen again tho. If they won't let Ben fight in Washington state ever again.. i'll be pissed.

If something would have happened I think it would be a lot more serious, but nothing did and they were both safe, it will probably never happen again tho. If they won't let Ben fight in Washington state ever again.. i'll be pissed.

Meh, more then likely it will be a small fine for a few select people. To me the worst that might happen is the guy in charge of checking them before they get in the ring losses his job and maybe the ref losses his license in that state.

I don't think they'll take Herb Dean's license away from WA state.. Like I said, the only way Benson got into the octagon with that shit in his mouth is by hiding it inside his mouthpiece under his teeth.. so mouthpiece, toothpick, teeth, lol. If that's how he did that, then there would of be no way the officials or ref that checks them before they go into the cage would see that, they don't have to open there mouth's all the way either.. all they gotta do is smile for a second to show they have there mouthpiece in there mouth.

And I don't know if I'm seeing things but does anyone else notice that they have substantially less post after they changed these forums? I had around 1,800 posts before and now I have a little over 1,000..

Edited by k1lls1gn

And I don't know if I'm seeing things but does anyone else notice that they have substantially less post after they changed these forums? I had around 1,800 posts before and now I have a little over 1,000..

Now that you mention it I do think I had over 2000 posts before...

Now that you mention it I do think I had over 2000 posts before...
Yeah see..

Me and you are both Veteran's also, but yet you have over 1,800 posts, and i have a little over 1,000.. :confused:

Plus, I just discovered that my posts are not counting anymore.. 1,051 before i posted this, should have 1,052 now, but yet still at 1,051? Very strange..

Edited by k1lls1gn

If fighter's fought at their natural weights, then there would be more weight classes like boxing. That would crowd every division and would give us more multi-division champs.