Is it worth 1,200 marketpoints?

Worth the Money? (1,200 marketpoints)  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Worth the Money? (1,200 marketpoints)

Sup TPG. (I'm abbreviateing you with your indefinate article, since otherwise PG talking to PG could get downright confusing)

Here's a review I wrote for BB2 back when I first got it in November. Hope you find this useful in determining if this game is for you or not.

---

Bankshot Billiards 2

An instant pool hall classic

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2005/324/930852_20051121_screen001.jpg

For more pictures, click HERE.

Initially, my opinion of this title was pretty negative. :evil: I mean, I got it because in actuality I love playing billiards and I'm converting my garage into a pool room for just such occasions. But my next phase of renovation in my garage, the drywall and mud, is going to run between $800 and $1000 for materials and labor. :rant:

So when I saw that this was going to be an XBL Arcade title, I was all for getting it. After all, $15 would buy you all of about three hours of table time at a local pool parlor. :mad:

What I saw initially wasn't all that pretty... a billiard green table and glossy, washed out bright background. A computer that beat me every time. Music that was Underwhelming. A price that would push many people to stay away totally. And to top it off, an unimpressive demo that doesn't convince anybody its worth it. No help, no tutorial, no obvious clues as to how to get power, angle, or English set on you shot. It was a title that screamed mediocrity and made you hate yourself for coughing up $15 :rant:

I looked at the 200 achievement points and thought that they were all going to be utterly unachievable. Then I got to the next item under that...

Options. :confused:

Oh, sweet options! :o

Game Options

Aiming Aid - how many arrows of deflection you want?

Aiming Mode - Normal or reverse

Matches - Want 3 matches per game? Done.

Shot Timer - Make your buddy shoot or lose a turn

CPU 1 Skill - out of 5 stars

CPU 2 Skill - out of 5 stars

... that took care of computer players that were too difficult. Now I could start sharking it!

Video Options

Game Panel - change the color of the panel

Table - change the way your table looks

Table Texture - change the felt color

Wood - What kind of wood looks best?

Markers - select your preferred table markers

Floors - select your floor style and texture

Balls - change th number and stripe style of your balls

Cue Stick - stylize your sword

... Now I was playing a game that didn't hurt my eyes...

Audio Options

Music - select what kind of in game music you want to hear (all the choices suck, really)

Music Volume

SoundFX Volume

A lot more robust, but still not the experience I'd want. I mean one of the best parlor thrills is lining up your shot and hearing the music that drives you. At a quarter a song in the jukebox, that still was expensive, but worth it. And as I've just mentioned, the in-game music sucks. Badly. :mad:

Enter custom soundtracks. Use your guide button and play the music from your HDD or the Media Center PC that you host stuff from. Create a custom soundtrack, and you're set. :)

THE VERDICT

It's not perfect. I'd really like a 3-D game more than a 2-D one. Being able to walk around the table and look at things would have helped to make this perfect in my book. After all, why choose the way the table looks if you can't see the legs or drape at all? Very steep learning curve yet fairly easy to learn. 2 players on XBL. Other than that, I think that you'll really, really get your money's worth out of this one.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: out of 10.

I got the game in my xbox live box as well. Also, with the new update (and I assume if you just download the game now), you get a full 3D experience. You can rotate the camera and stuff, which adds a lot to the game. A lot better than the 2D game, but still not worth 1,200 points IMO.

interesting poll, i still don't have it... would like to see more of u voting :)

anyway, is there a chance for arcade games to get cheaper? i mean, will some of the games just cost 200 points in, lets say, half a year? cause if bb2 will be available for 800 ms points, i'll definetely get it!

Although it is quite true that this game is not worth 1200/MS Points - It is quite alot of fun playing it both offline and online with a human player especially with all the different game types to play - you got the expected 8-ball and 9-ball games of course but in addition to those - you also can choose to play Euro 8-ball, 3-ball, Countinous 14:1, and My Favorite Cutthroat (which you can play online with 2 players and yourself, as this is a 3 player game).

Aside from all the above mentioned games which can be played online, - offline, as single player games, you can also choose to play Golf and Trick Shots, which can take some time to earn achivements in both, making it have high replay value.

What it does not have is the best graphics as far as a xbl game but who cares about that, it a pool game and the balls are shiny and fun to play with (don't even think about commenting on that one :-) and once you get a taste (or this one neither) for the differnet game type you will get hooked.

Soundwise - Music sucks donkey butt so as suggested above - play custom tracks, maybe some BEP :-).

Bottom Line: Get the game if you enjoy playing pool and enjoy variety of the game, diffently not a sim but still play worthy especially online.

Although it is quite true that this game is not worth 1200/MS Points - It is quite alot of fun playing it both offline and online with a human player especially with all the different game types to play - you got the expected 8-ball and 9-ball games of course but in addition to those - you also can choose to play Euro 8-ball, 3-ball, Countinous 14:1, and My Favorite Cutthroat (which you can play online with 2 players and yourself, as this is a 3 player game).

Aside from all the above mentioned games which can be played online, - offline, as single player games, you can also choose to play Golf and Trick Shots, which can take some time to earn achivements in both, making it have high replay value.

What it does not have is the best graphics as far as a xbl game but who cares about that, it a pool game and the balls are shiny and fun to play with (don't even think about commenting on that one :-) and once you get a taste (or this one neither) for the differnet game type you will get hooked.

Soundwise - Music sucks donkey butt so as suggested above - play custom tracks, maybe some BEP :-).

Bottom Line: Get the game if you enjoy playing pool and enjoy variety of the game, diffently not a sim but still play worthy especially online.

You say it is not worth it but you vote that it is. Which one is it ;)?

What I basically trying to say in my post was that 1200 MS Points for this XBL game (any XBL game for that matter) is a little high as you only get 1600 MS Points for $20 bills but you will not feel ripped off having paid it once you get into it and start playing.

Your initial post asked if the game worth the points - answer is YES

Your asked if 1200 MS Points is too much for the game - answer is YES

Your also asked if the game makes you happy or regretful - answer if HAPPY

• 2 weeks later...
My store lets us return microsoft cards - so I scratch them and say the number is invalid and that microsoft told me to return it and get another one... Idiots :)

So far this is my second "free" 1600 card.

BTW - I bought the game just now and I'm excited to play...

That is tantamount to stealing, you know. One of these days, that can come back and bite you in the ass.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a free code for this game which I am willing to trade for a code that hasnt been used for another game. The reason being me and my bro wanted to get live and we got a free card each but we only need one, so if anyone would like to trade ANY other arcade game for this, I would do it gladly, so just reply here or hit me up with a PM or an Xbox Live message, my name is Sweet666Kraven.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I have a free code for this game which I am willing to trade for a code that hasnt been used for another game. The reason being me and my bro wanted to get live and we got a free card each but we only need one, so if anyone would like to trade ANY other arcade game for this, I would do it gladly, so just reply here or hit me up with a PM or an Xbox Live message, my name is Sweet666Kraven.

yea same thing happened with me, so if anybody wants this game, you can either hit me up with some cash :D over paypal or trade for another xbla game.

just reply here or pm me.

cheers

yea same thing happened with me, so if anybody wants this game, you can either hit me up with some cash :D over paypal or trade for another xbla game.

just reply here or pm me.

cheers

^^^Hook it up r3bel! Give me a good price for it. I downloaded the demo and it seems pretty cool, but I was hesitant to fork out 1200 points for it. I am a true billiards fan however.