Good weapon for a dex/faith build?

BluWolve

If you're going for Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade miracles. Then a any +15 Katana (except for Chaos Blade) will do great. Claymore is also a great weapon, due to the C stat scale in Dex, and you need like 16srt to use it, and it weighs only 6.0 - probably the most usable weapon in the game. Dragonslayer spear only looks cool. The damage scaling is laughable, no slashing motion whatsoever. Limited to only thrusting attacks which can be easily blocked or dodged. You'd be better off with a +5 Lightning Partizan. Has a long range sweeping attack, decent range, low weight and C (I think) in Dex scale if you decide to go the regular upgrade path.

Rapiers and thrusting swords are also good for defensive and mobile players. Regular swords: Balder Side Sword is great for counter attacks and it has an A stat scale in Dex at +15. +15 Balder Side Sword (High Dex character) + DMB (darkmoon blade) and the Leo ring, 2hd the sword, use the RT thrusting attack and you'll do well over 1.2k damage if you time your attacks and counter the enemy's. And that is a SWORD, not a slow hammer, which is a huge win, due to the low stamina cost and fast attack speed.

Great Scythe is also a good weapon. Bleed, long sweeping reach and A dex scale at +15. Only problem that it's hard to control at first. Learn to fight without targeting your opponents and utilizing the sweeping motions.

I could list at least ~3-5 more weapons, since the game's combat is so flexible.

Edited by KriugerisLT

If you're going for Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade miracles. Then a any +15 Katana (except for Chaos Blade) will do great. Claymore is also a great weapon, due to the C stat scale in Dex, and you need like 16srt to use it, and it weighs only 6.0 - probably the most usable weapon in the game. Dragonslayer spear only looks cool. The damage scaling is laughable, no slashing motion whatsoever. Limited to only thrusting attacks which can be easily blocked or dodged. You'd be better off with a +5 Lightning Partizan. Has a long range sweeping attack, decent range, low weight and C (I think) in Dex scale if you decide to go the regular upgrade path.

Rapiers and thrusting swords are also good for defensive and mobile players. Regular swords: Balder Side Sword is great for counter attacks and it has an A stat scale in Dex at +15. +15 Balder Side Sword (High Dex character) + DMB (darkmoon blade) and the Leo ring, 2hd the sword, use the RT thrusting attack and you'll do well over 1.2k damage if you time your attacks and counter the enemy's. And that is a SWORD, not a slow hammer, which is a huge win, due to the low stamina cost and fast attack speed.

Great Scythe is also a good weapon. Bleed, long sweeping reach and A dex scale at +15. Only problem that it's hard to control at first. Learn to fight without targeting your opponents and utilizing the sweeping motions.

I could list at least ~3-5 more weapons, since the game's combat is so flexible.

Thanks for this info!

I assumed the scaling for dragonslayer spear would be decent with high dex and faith but obviously not. I also don't like the fact it is a thrust only weapon, I would not like that with my play style.

At the moment I mostly use the fury sword one handed, and switch to a talisman for miracles(velkas, until I have the faith to use darkmoon).

In my left hand I mainly have the grass crest shield and switch that to the black bow of pharis, but I will eventually swap the bow out for whatever weapon I decide to make next, which will be strictly two handed.

I had heard the great scythe was pretty good and have been bested by it a few times by invaders so I will definitely be looking into that. I probably would prefer the reach over the counters that the Balder side sword offers.

What is your opinion on how the balder side sword compares to the fury sword? I have been using the fury sword quite effectively and like slashing attacks but I feel it doesn't quite give me what I'm after. Would the balder side swird or perhaps any of the katanas be worth investing in to replace it?

Edit: I should also mention I want to be using the darkmoon blade miracle, are there any restrictions as to what weapon I can apply that to besides the obvious weapons already with buffs?

Edited by BluWolve

Fury sword is decent if you're a low level player. Onwards, when you level up your character, or more specifically a stat like Dex, it becomes obsolete. Also the Chaos fire damage isn't very useful, since most armors tend to have good resistances against fire. In this game, fire is only useful against a handful of enemies, while for example Lightning is far more useful.

I personally didn't use the Fury sword that much. Didn't like the moveset, and the fact that the kick animation was replaced with that weird flipping slash motion. Kick is invaluable, and most people tend to underestimate that. Kick + Balder Side Sword RT attack will kill almost anything with a Medium shield. Won't pry away a Greatshield, but the kick will still drain a decent amount of stamina.

If you're really into investing in Dex/Faith, then ditch the Fury sword and get a regular path upgraded weapon. You can cast the DMB on any non-elemental and normal weapons (Crystal, Raw, Regular upgrade paths). There are exceptions however to some Dragon weapons, like Dragon King Greataxe.

Any weapon (except for bows and shields) that is upgraded with Titanite Shards can be enchanted with a DMB blade, resin items, Magic weapon etc. Weapons that require Twinkling Titanite, Demon Titanite or any elemental weapon (lightning, fire, chaos etc.) cannot be enchanted.

Regarding the weapon type it's completely up to preference and your liking. +15 Estoc is also a very dangerous weapon in the hands of a Dex/Faith heavy character. The dashing attack has absurd range and can pick off targets that are running away from you with ease. That and DMB or SLB (Sunlight Blade) will go through the shield, chiping away at their health with minimal stamina usage, fast recovery and without opening your guard too much for a backstab.

Assuming you want to PvP with this build.

P.S. - Ricard's Rapier +15 and Sunlight Blade is completely OP against bosses. Just spam the RT while in 2HDs and anything will die in mere seconds. So if you're aiming for a co-op character too, this will get you a lot of pussy between other Souls players in co-op :D lol

Edited by KriugerisLT

Been a little while since I played this game, but I was also a high level dex build.

My two saving graces were the Great Scythe +5 and Blood Shield (+14?) (use it two handed) or the Uchigakatana +15 and Silver Knight Shield +5. I always used the Child's mask for stamina but you can interchange it with the grass crest shield.

I also found the Black Bow of Pharis to be much more useful than the dragonslayer bow, but I didn't even have 20 strength so go figure!

I believe the Uchi is the best katana all around, unless you get your strength high enough to use the Marukami (sp)

I also used the Lightning Zweihander +5 for most of my original game, it can kill anything pretty quickly with power within. It requires two hands to wield tho

I believe the Uchi is the best katana all around, unless you get your strength high enough to use the Marukami (sp)

Murakumo*

Staggering weight on that murakumo. You're better off with a Gravelord sword if you want a curved greatsword. And GL sword has low stat scale, so it's a great weapon at low levels if you manage to shell out the 10 Demon Titanite to max it. Also the Toxic status is very useful against turtles that rely on greatshield defense.

Btw, you obviously haven't tried the Iaito. It has a higher Dex requirement. Best katana weapon IMO. The R2 slashing attack is very useful, if you can manage to pull off dead angle attacks that go through blocks :)

Lately, I have been rocking the Chaos Blade. It's damage is amazing and the longer blade gives you a better reach than any other standard katanas (except for Washing Pole). But the R2 attack is useless, especially the Two-Handed one :/

So I ended up going with the great scythe +15 for my main weapon, with DMB on it is very deadly.

I still have the fury sword for when i need fire damage, but also wanted a quick lightning weapon so i ended up upgrading the falchion.

I wad going to go with the Iaito for the lightning damage but it is just a little bit too heavy for my build. I don't mind the moveset it has but i prefer the curved blades just a little more so the decrease in damage doesn't really bother me.

I also upgraded Richards Rapier just to see it in action but i haven't actually used it much yet, since the great scythe has been dominating, especially once i had adjusted my play style around it.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

P.S. - Ricard's Rapier +15 and Sunlight Blade is completely OP against bosses. Just spam the RT while in 2HDs and anything will die in mere seconds. So if you're aiming for a co-op character too, this will get you a lot of pussy between other Souls players in co-op :D lol

Hi, new to this game and tring to understand your strategy and which weapons to build but.

A few noob questions:

What is 2HDs? 2 hands on weapon?

Is +15 really that much better than +10? I've got mine at +10 and get owned by regular hollows.

What weapond do you used prior to the boss fight? Assuming the rapier is only good whith sunlight blade.

What shield do you use when using the rapier?

So far the only weapon I found to do decent damage is silver knight sword +5, but by no means is it great. I can't take out bosses solo with it, not without taking like 15 minutes to do so.

I'm looking to weapon/shield combos that I can take on bosses solo and not have to summon others.

p.s. i just got the lordvessel if that help in knowing what weapons i have.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, new to this game and tring to understand your strategy and which weapons to build but.

A few noob questions:

What is 2HDs? 2 hands on weapon?

Is +15 really that much better than +10? I've got mine at +10 and get owned by regular hollows.

What weapond do you used prior to the boss fight? Assuming the rapier is only good whith sunlight blade.

What shield do you use when using the rapier?

So far the only weapon I found to do decent damage is silver knight sword +5, but by no means is it great. I can't take out bosses solo with it, not without taking like 15 minutes to do so.

I'm looking to weapon/shield combos that I can take on bosses solo and not have to summon others.

p.s. i just got the lordvessel if that help in knowing what weapons i have.

Thanks in advance!

I am by no means an expert at this game, but I will try to answer your questions as best I can.

2HDs is holding the weapon in 2 hands (press :ybut: )

You should at least upgrade the equiptment to +14, as there are weapons that increse their scaling when you level it up to +14. All the shards needed to get to +14 are easily farmed as well so there is really no reason not to upgrade them.

I personally am now using a +15 Great Scythe for just about everything. I can see the potential of Richards Rapier for big and slow moving bosses, but for bosses that are fast and mobile you may want to use something else. 1 Swing with the Great Scythe when there is an opening usually cuts away a good chunk of HP, even more so with Darkmoon Blade cast on it.

I always use the Grass Crest shield for the Stamina Recovery, and for a long time I mainly used Quelaggs Furysword, and I was able to solo most bosses. Since I have changed to using the Great Scythe I have had even less trouble with soloing bosses, it just takes a little while to get used to the move set so you know when you can safely attack and when to retreat.

My build is high in Dex and Faith so there are probably different weapons that would suit your build and playstyle better if you are a strength build. I really cant offer much assistance with those other weapons though.

Edited by BluWolve

Is +15 really that much better than +14? I only ask because I went and got the Great Scythe and upgraded it to +14 and to be honest it plain sucks. The Silver Knight +5 I have does more damage 1 handed than this does with 2. Even with DMB its not all that great. My dex is 22 and Faith 30. maybe thats the reason?

I will check out the Balder side swords moveset and see how I like it but I am pretty satisfied right now with the great scythe. I am looking to maybe replace my lightning falchion though so if anyone has any suggestions for a good weapon to add lightning to i would be grateful.

My dex is 47 and the great scythe does a decent amount of damage, around 450 per heavy attack. With the DMB applied it adds on another 300 (from memory). To me it is about more than just the damage though. I love the moveset the great scythe has and it is really useful for attacking around corners and obstacles. Also holding a weapon in two hands makes little difference unless it has strength scaling, in my experience.

Edited by BluWolve

Balder side sword is amazing. It's like a mix between a Rapier and a Straight Sword. Has both, slashing attacks and long reaching thrusting attacks that do crazy counter damage (if you use a Leo ring too + DMB it's just insane).

Also it has an "A" stat scale in DEX, which I think is the ONLY straight sword that has something like that. The moveset is beyond useful. One of the best weapons in the game, IMO.

I personally like to keep two weapons in my Right hand slots, if I'm playing with a Dex oriented character. Balder Side Sword and Rapier. Rapier for those annoying turtles and circlestrafing backstab fishers. Perform a Parry, immediately switch and do amazing damage even without the Hornet Ring :)

Which rapier do you use? So you start with rapier then switch to sword? I have the balder at +10 as well as richards rapier at +10. With my dex at 22 and faith at 30 will these be better than silver knight + 5? Also I can only go +14 as I have no slabs.

What armor and shield should I use so I can block and not have my stamina totally drain? Those guys in the ruins if they hit me one I'm stunned and done. And the silver knight +5 doesnt do enough damage to take these guy on if there is more than 1 in the area.

I read in some thread that past level 30 the scaling increases are very minimal and beyond 40 are almost non existent. So wouldnt it be better to stop 30-35 and then bring the other stats up?

Also how do I ascend to lightning? For some reason I don't see that at any of the smiths.

Thanks

I did try the Balder side sword, and I personally don't think it works well for my current build. It is an extremely versatile weapon, but i found the attacks just a fraction too slow in comparison to a curved sword.

Anyone have any experience with Velkas rapier?

Are any of the boss weapons actually good? I wasted many hours getting resources to upgrade them and they are pretty horrible at +5. And the guy on the wiki is full of crap, the weapons he claims are good are no where near it. Sad thing is after 30 hours of farming the weapon I already had is still the best, the one that starts with a "Z" +5 lightning is bay far the best.

I do see why richards rapier is good, but only with sunlight blade. That reaper at +15 is decent and baulder side is ok at +15. But all need sun blade to be awsome. That Z sword is good with only lightning...I wish i had another to try at +15.

Basically the wiki guy is crazy and most of what was said in this thread is correct. For reference here is the link I followed...I made allot of those weapons and they suck, especially the enchanted crap.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Recommended+EndGame+Weapons

Are any of the boss weapons actually good? I wasted many hours getting resources to upgrade them and they are pretty horrible at +5. And the guy on the wiki is full of crap, the weapons he claims are good are no where near it. Sad thing is after 30 hours of farming the weapon I already had is still the best, the one that starts with a "Z" +5 lightning is bay far the best.

I do see why richards rapier is good, but only with sunlight blade. That reaper at +15 is decent and baulder side is ok at +15. But all need sun blade to be awsome. That Z sword is good with only lightning...I wish i had another to try at +15.

Basically the wiki guy is crazy and most of what was said in this thread is correct. For reference here is the link I followed...I made allot of those weapons and they suck, especially the enchanted crap.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Recommended+EndGame+Weapons

That guide is also dated. For example, the Lightning Greataxe +5 is listed as 777 (385/392) but now it's 700 (350/350)

I guess the weapons could still be the "best" but it might not hold true if the damage was changed per weapon.

Velkas rapier scales with Int, not Faith.

Oh thanks I will save that for a spellblade character.

In case anyone was wondering I am now using a +5 Lightning Avelyn as my secondary weapon. It works well to disrupt an opponent when used in the right situation and does surprisingly decent damage. I don't pull it out very often but I have used it more than any other weapon I have used as a secondary.

What are your stats? I used this VS the last boss and it was like I was hitting him with a fly swatter. Like only 60 damage, lol.

Still the Zweihander +5 Lightning is the best for me.