End Game discussion - MAJOR SPOILERS INSIDE

Hayden

The reason Elizabeth can control tears is because when her finger was cut off as a baby it caused a piece of her to exist in another world making her exist in two realities and giving her the ability to open tears to other realities. Comstock had the male Lutece abduct Anna because he had been made sterile and needed a blood heir, and since he was Booker DeWitt before being baptized he knew he had a daughter in another universe and had her retrieved. Booker sold her to wipe his debt, and ended up forgetting. So when he was approached again by Lutece he had no memory that the debt had already been wiped, he, as the male Lutece says, created new memories from existing ones. What he was actually doing was going to save his daughter, which was the Lutece's plan all along. Robert didn't like what was being done to her, and was just a little pissed that Comstock betrayed and tried to kill them, so their goal was to get Booker to rescue Elizabeth and put an end to Comstock.

And in case no one believes me, it's all here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioShock_Infinite

Not a case of belief. Its all opinion no one really knows for sure. Expect maybe ken Levine. Its a head fuck!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because she was a baby ;)

I mean booker. Why can't booker remember the tear? He see's Elizabeth open a TEAR in the elevator and has no idea what it is and has never seen one before. But he remembers who his daughter is but cant remember her getting snatched through a TEAR. How can he remember his daughter but no the TEAR..

I mean booker. Why can't booker remember the tear? He see's Elizabeth open a TEAR in the elevator and has no idea what it is and has never seen one before. But he remembers who his daughter is but cant remember her getting snatched through a TEAR. How can he remember his daughter but no the TEAR..

It's because he enters an alternate universe - his memory tries to accommodate that he enters another reality. The Lutece quote from the beginning of the game explains it pretty well:

"The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist"

When he enters Comstock's dimension, Booker is traumatised by it and his memory is pretty much wiped. To make sense of his situation, Bookers mind makes up its own scenario as to why he is there and why he has to do what he has to do - this scenario is made up by bits and pieces of his memory of the past. Therefore he only remembers a select few things about his past, and what he remembers is somewhat... distorted.

That's how I understand it anyways ;)

It's because he enters an alternate universe - his memory tries to accommodate that he enters another reality. The Lutece quote from the beginning of the game explains it pretty well:

"The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist"

When he enters Comstock's dimension, Booker is traumatised by it and his memory is pretty much wiped. To make sense of his situation, Bookers mind makes up its own scenario as to why he is there and why he has to do what he has to do - this scenario is made up by bits and pieces of his memory of the past. Therefore he only remembers a select few things about his past, and what he remembers is somewhat... distorted.

That's how I understand it anyways ;)

Ahh that would make sense. Thankyou :)

Roberts quote does point that out pretty well

This game will have infinite possibilities. What we see here is there is only one version of Booker get smothered, there are still millions versions of Booker accept the baptism and there will be millions Colombias and there will be millions of the ''real'' Booker. I guess the game will never end unless all the versions of Booker that are gonna accept the baptism connect to each other and smothered at the same time

• 1 month later...

I've loved all the BioShock games they have all had really good story lines, but I have to be honest when I got to the ending of Infinite I was sat there like ummm thats the ending!!! After everything you went though in the game thats the ending?? I wasn't impressed with the ending but thats the only thing about that game I wasn't impressed with

• 2 months later...
This game will have infinite possibilities. What we see here is there is only one version of Booker get smothered, there are still millions versions of Booker accept the baptism and there will be millions Colombias and there will be millions of the ''real'' Booker. I guess the game will never end unless all the versions of Booker that are gonna accept the baptism connect to each other and smothered at the same time

I think this is what bugs me about the ending. The vibe I got from the scene seemed like drowning Booker was going to solve the problem. But with the whole "infinite possibilities" thing, there are any number of other Booker's who are still going to turn into Comstocks, so only the one "reality" they walked into had been effected. To me it only served to make Booker's death seem somewhat pointless in the grand scheme of things. Not that I didn't enjoy the story anyway.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Only thing that really bothers me is that last sequence. Wounded knee happened in 1890. Elizabeth was born in 1892. If he'd drowned there, he wouldn't have been able to have her. They definitely couldn't have spent time together. Not sure what it implies.

Dewitt/Comstock was either baptized or refused the baptism. They both happened an infinite amount of times. If he chose not to go through the baptism, he was Dewitt. In the universe we played through in the game, Dewitt had Anna two years later, eventually sold her, and went to Columbia to pay off his debt, only to end up killing Comstock. When he is walking from lighthouse to lighthouse with Elizabeth at the end, he realizes that he cannot live in any universe without killing or becoming a monster, no matter what choices he makes, in any multiverse, the outcome is always the same. At the end, we pick up at wounded knee again, only instead of choosing to be baptized or not, he sacrifices his own life to change the outcomes in other multiverses. This means that he dies in every multiverse and therefore Anna/Elizabeth never exists in any of the multiverses either. Fantastic story on top of more than decent game mechanics, I will be playing this again for sure. (Not to mention the DLC)

Dewitt/Comstock was either baptized or refused the baptism. They both happened an infinite amount of times. If he chose not to go through the baptism, he was Dewitt. In the universe we played through in the game, Dewitt had Anna two years later, eventually sold her, and went to Columbia to pay off his debt, only to end up killing Comstock. When he is walking from lighthouse to lighthouse with Elizabeth at the end, he realizes that he cannot live in any universe without killing or becoming a monster, no matter what choices he makes, in any multiverse, the outcome is always the same. At the end, we pick up at wounded knee again, only instead of choosing to be baptized or not, he sacrifices his own life to change the outcomes in other multiverses. This means that he dies in every multiverse and therefore Anna/Elizabeth never exists in any of the multiverses either. Fantastic story on top of more than decent game mechanics, I will be playing this again for sure. (Not to mention the DLC)

An excellent synopsis. Thank you.

This means that he dies in every multiverse and therefore Anna/Elizabeth never exists in any of the multiverses either.

Close, but no cigar. When he sacrifices himself, all timelines will revert back to the closet point possible before divergence. Meaning every choice in every universe after the event, will be 'No baptism' because the other choice creates a paradox

This is why we see the snippet at the end.

Emperor, can you explain this in a bit more detail? I'm still struggling, and I first saw the ending almost a year ago...

Ok. I'll try.

To put it basically, when Booker kills himself in order to erase Comstock from creation, it creates a 'ripple' in time. The universe/time resorts back to the moment of divergence (where the one timeline spits into two, Booker path and Comstock path), in order to correct the ripple. And the only way the ripple can be corrected is to remove the variable that creates it, which is Comstock taking Elizabeth and setting Booker's future into motion.

So... the Comstock path is removed in order to prevent Booker from killing himself, thus avoiding a pardadox.

Edited by Emperor 95

I see. Thank you. So in essence, by sacrificing himself, Booker removes Comstock from the deck of possible events in the universe, which also preserves himself and Elizabeth?

I would think the variable in question that the ripple created would be Booker PRE-Baptism, whos mind/psyche contains both the Booker and Comstock paths. That is why I am confused as to why/how the final tidbit is there, or how Booker can exist in Burial at Sea.

I know these esoteric conversations can lead to frustration. I apologize in advance!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...