Event List for Sybarite

I will never understand why they just didn't set this shit up to be automatic on a cycle and then input their own special event from time to time if need be.

Just proof positive that game devs could give a shit about their audience (channelling my inner Jim Sterling there)

Actually they give more of a "shit" than you think.

I was being really hard on Black Tusk over the past few days, asking them why Gears 3 was getting weekly updates and Judgment is lucky to get one a month.

They responded by telling me that Gears 3 is far, far easier to cycle events than Judgment. I thought that was just a lazy way of telling me they hate Judgment and don't care to support it.

I was really wrong.

Read this tweet from Pete Nub (former senior programmer on the Gears franchise at Epic)

https://twitter.com/PeteNub/status/569986364961394689

It seems the code for fixing special events was actually taken out of the game by a developer at the last minute and wasn't noticed by Pete until the game had shipped.

So, Black Tusk are having a hard time trying to sort out the mess that was left behind.

They ARE working on getting another special event up this week or next, as confirmed by BT's Falloutt here

I know this doesn't resolve many of you from being upset, I am still personally around 16 ribbons away from Sybarite myself so I feel your pain.

But, let's try to be understanding about WHY it is taking so long to get new events up.

Black Tusk's JackFelling also told me that any time spent updating special events on Judgment takes developers away from the new Gears game.

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we come to Black Tusk. The one thing you must take into consideration is, if you are designing something and run into a problem, it is usually easy to fix because you were in it from the start. If someone else hands you a problem it takes a lot more time and money to set things right.

Black Tusk got handed someone else's problem. Lets see what they do about it.

I hope for a Gears 3 (start-with-twenty-nine) type fix. In my mind, this would certainly be less expensive than digging through umpteen lines of someone else's code.

They responded by telling me that Gears 3 is far, far easier to cycle events than Judgment. I thought that was just a lazy way of telling me they hate Judgment and don't care to support it.

Read this tweet from Pete Nub (former senior programmer on the Gears franchise at Epic)

https://twitter.com/PeteNub/status/569986364961394689

It seems the code for fixing special events was actually taken out of the game by a developer at the last minute and wasn't noticed by Pete until the game had shipped.

So, Black Tusk are having a hard time trying to sort out the mess that was left behind.

I would like to differentiate between EVENTS and RIBBONS.

Events = what game you play.

Ribbons = What you get for playing the game.

Many of the posts in this thread mention "cycle events".

I am interested in "cycle ribbons".

Give all of us 29 ribbons and get it over with please.

I would like to differentiate between EVENTS and RIBBONS.

Events = what game you play.

Ribbons = What you get for playing the game.

Many of the posts in this thread mention "cycle events".

I am interested in "cycle ribbons".

Give all of us 29 ribbons and get it over with please.

As I already said in my last post, the code was ripped out before Judgment was released so BT are having to do everything manually each time they want to add in another ribbon. It's not a case of putting it on a cycle. Same with events.

It's alright someone sitting behind their PC thinking it's that simple, it's obviously not or it'd be updated more frequently.

I was just as arrogant about it before I realized.

Anyway, the Event has now been changed to Lightning Execution and a new ribbon should pop at the end.

As I already said in my last post, the code was ripped out before Judgment was released so BT are having to do everything manually each time they want to add in another ribbon. It's not a case of putting it on a cycle. Same with events.

First off, you said "the code was ripped out before Judgment was released".

Not to be disrespectful but.... Really? Lets see, whomever removed the code must have broken into my house and every other players house and messed with our thousands upon thousands of copy's of Judgement because the game event worked just fine when the game first came out. Every week, new event, new ribbon.

How can I put this......

Say the code was removed either by accident or by a disgruntled employee before the game was shipped. Don't really know why and it really does not matter. All we know is the code is gone.

Maybe they had so many people working on J that things just got out of hand and this portion of code slipped thru the cracks.

OK, that is fine. I ran into the same thing when I worked at General Electric in Quality Assurance. The stuff we built was so complicated, and we had so many sub-assemblies involved that we didn't know if a new product worked until we got it all together for a smoke test. Software is every bit as complicated as the products we made but in a different way.

OK, let us grant the code was ripped out for whatever reason.

So, how about....

They found the code was gone after the disks were shipped. The cycle is not working properly. Maybe what they did then was assign a small group of programmers to manually up date the event and ribbon every week.

You must remember there was a stretch of a few days now and then, where you could get a couple ribbons, one right after another. This might have been a bug caused by the programmers trying to fix/replace the missing code by hand. Dont know.... Could be.....

We as users would not know the difference if it was hand coded or ran on auto cycle. The company is certainly not going to say anything about an in-house mistake. As far as we the users were concerned, it worked, as planned, for many weeks in a row, and that is all we cared about.

Months later, Judgement is not selling well. People Can Fly is not making money. Programmers time cost money. Programmers get pulled off manually updating the event/ribbon by hand every week and it is all down hill from there.

The above is just the first scenario I came up with. Far-fetched? Maybe, maybe not. I have no idea why, I just know it no longer works.

I don't really care about why it does not work every week. Sounds like an in-house problem to me and it should be discussed and fixed in-house. This forum thread or Facebook or Twitter is not the place for BT to discuss in-house problems.

In the mean time......

I will tell you this. I am an easy going guy. It takes a lot to crank me up. There are very few things that tick me off but here are two things that are guaranteed to trip my trigger.

1. Lie to me.

2. Tell me your going to do something and then not do it.

BT assumed the responsibility of Judgement.

In turn BT assumed the responsibility towards the players.

This part of the game does not work as advertised.

It is BT's responsibility to fix it or pull a Gears Of War 3 "Fix Number 29" on it.

First off, you said "the code was ripped out before Judgment was released".

Not to be disrespectful but.... Really? Lets see, whomever removed the code must have broken into my house and every other players house and messed with our thousands upon thousands of copy's of Judgement because the game event worked just fine when the game first came out. Every week, new event, new ribbon.

That's because it was Epic supporting it at that time, not Black Tusk. Epic knew the code and could update it once weekly. Black Tusk are still having to learn that code because they never originally created it. Surely you must know that events are updated via the Start menu screen and not by someone coming in to your house to magically wave a wand? lol

It would be extremely helpful if someone at Epic could forward that code to Black Tusk, but until/if that happens we are reliant up on a group who seem to be trying their best to keep us happy.

I will tell you this. I am an easy going guy. It takes a lot to crank me up. There are very few things that tick me off but here are two things that are guaranteed to trip my trigger.

1. Lie to me.

2. Tell me your going to do something and then not do it.

BT assumed the responsibility of Judgement.

In turn BT assumed the responsibility towards the players.

This part of the game does not work as advertised.

It is BT's responsibility to fix it or pull a Gears Of War 3 "Fix Number 29" on it.

They are fixing it, just not at once weekly. It's not like they've completely abandoned it, which they could have done like a lot of developers out there do these days with some games.

I think you need to relax a little bit and just play the new events when they happen and hope for a new ribbon. That's all any of us can do. I have just reached a point where fretting about it and getting all upset doesn't help things.

Edited by xSonoshee

I think it is BTS fault as well as Microsoft. See originally, this game was a love letter to fans.

"Bleszinski prefaced the presentation by explaining the choice of direction for the fourth Gears installment by stating that the community has been very vocal about a prequel, and the challenge for Epic and People Can Fly was to find a time period that works. The Pendulum Wars for instance didn’t have “monsters” since it was before Emergence Day and hence, there were no chainsaws, the same goes for making the game take place on Emergence Day – The Lancer is the symbol of the franchise and it was important for them to keep the iconic weapon in the next game" (GAME RANT, 2012).

They made this game with the fans in mind and used the vocal community to shape this prequel. Now with that in mind, there was not some "undercurrent of negativity" or some "wallet hammer" that plagued the game in the beginning. It was after the game came out that everyone started to see what the game was about and hated it.

With that in mind, Microsoft then buys the rights to Gears of War in 1/2014 because the then developing house head of PCF or Epic Poland started to talk about expanding the franchise to Playstation. Microsoft wasn't having it because in the beginning of all this, Epic signed a contract with an exclusivity clause with Microsoft. So Microsoft buys the rights and gives the game support to BTS. Now, BTS has NEVER made a COMPLETE game. Now, who do you blame for the debacle now? The studio that didn't know that they had an inexperienced developer or the developer for not having experienced workers?

I say both. BTS should be hiring people that has more experience with these situations. In a years time since owning the product, they have fixed nothing. Don't coddle BTS and say they didn't know the code either. THEY ARE PROGRAMMERS! The game code is not some mind blowing thing that they are not accustomed to (unless they don't know what they are doing or there is some proprietary code wall they are bumping into).

Don't coddle BTS and say they didn't know the code either. THEY ARE PROGRAMMERS! The game code is not some mind blowing thing that they are not accustomed to (unless they don't know what they are doing or there is some proprietary code wall they are bumping into).

I wouldn't call it "coddling", more understanding. Some people aren't so quick to beat the whip. I'm one of those people. If this was a company who had been with the franchise since day one and just given up completely, then it would be understandable and I'd be just as livid. However, you're being bitchy towards a company who have only had this franchise just under a year; who are clearly TRYING to fix this issue. If you'd follow them on Twitter or their official forums you'd just see how supportive they really are and how well they communicate with the Gears community.

One person's code isn't another person's code. Code can be (and in this case, is) written in a specific way to a particular developer.

So no, your argument is flawed. Take it or leave it, I really don't care. That there is a fact.

Now that that's out of the way, I do have some good news directly from Falloutt at BTS that they are in the process of deploying.

Basically they can't deploy the 29/30 ribbon idea because the code is broken.

They are instead going to add a new Ribbon ID which will trick the game into thinking it's getting new ribbons DAILY. That's right. Play every single day and you'll get a new ribbon.

As soon as I hear this is live, I'll of course drop by to let you all know :)

Edited by xSonoshee

I wouldn't call it "coddling", more understanding. Some people aren't so quick to beat the whip. I'm one of those people. If this was a company who had been with the franchise since day one and just given up completely, then it would be understandable and I'd be just as livid. However, you're being bitchy towards a company who have only had this franchise just under a year; who are clearly TRYING to fix this issue. If you'd follow them on Twitter or their official forums you'd just see how supportive they really are and how well they communicate with the Gears community.

One person's code isn't another person's code. Code can be (and in this case, is) written in a specific way to a particular developer.

So no, your argument is flawed. Take it or leave it, I really don't care. That there is a fact.

Now that that's out of the way, I do have some good news directly from Falloutt at BTS that they are in the process of deploying.

They are instead going to add a new Ribbon ID which will trick the game into thinking it's getting new ribbons DAILY. That's right. Play every single day and you'll get a new ribbon.

Damn, fuck yes!

I like how they are doin this, if it becomes love the new studio might have my support for the next gears game!

I don't know what to tell you Sonoshee. Imagine you were at a job for a year and haven't fixed a problem for a YEAR and COUNTING (If you read my sources, you would know its been over a year). How should people react to a product that has been incomplete for over a year? Once again I point out that they HAVEN'T made a SINGLE complete game. So yeah, they are probably extremely inexperienced. I'm not "bitching" about it. I'm putting this into focus. There is a reason why they can't fix this issue. I think that reason is that they are inexperienced. If inexperienced is a bad word, then I don't know what to tell you. Blame that company for not hiring better people. And yes, code is code. I can't help you figure that out. Computer code principles hasn't changed in a very long time. Let me be clear, I'm talking about the principles of writing the code and not the code itself. I find it extremely hard to believe that ONE company can only fix this problem Sonoshee. I don't care if they are doing 99.9% of things right. If the .01% is what matters to me, then there is nothing anyone can do or say to change my mind. Sorry if you feel differently.

This experience has made me think about the next gears. I probably won't buy it full price even though I have a lot of friends that would like me to get it day one.

I don't know what to tell you Sonoshee. Imagine you were at a job for a year and haven't fixed a problem for a YEAR and COUNTING (If you read my sources, you would know its been over a year). How should people react to a product that has been incomplete for over a year? Once again I point out that they HAVEN'T made a SINGLE complete game. So yeah, they are probably extremely inexperienced. I'm not "bitching" about it. I'm putting this into focus. There is a reason why they can't fix this issue. I think that reason is that they are inexperienced. If inexperienced is a bad word, then I don't know what to tell you. Blame that company for not hiring better people. And yes, code is code. I can't help you figure that out. Computer code principles hasn't changed in a very long time. Let me be clear, I'm talking about the principles of writing the code and not the code itself. I find it extremely hard to believe that ONE company can only fix this problem Sonoshee. I don't care if they are doing 99.9% of things right. If the .01% is what matters to me, then there is nothing anyone can do or say to change my mind. Sorry if you feel differently.

This experience has made me think about the next gears. I probably won't buy it full price even though I have a lot of friends that would like me to get it day one.

Actually Chi, BTS didn't aquire all the tools they needed for some time afterwards. The rights to the franchise was with them and Microsoft for over a year now, yes, but they couldn't do any "fixing" of previous games for a while after they obtained everything. I'm just personally a bit more patient with new companies. Not only do BTS have to develop the new game, but they are having to keep support going for Gears 3 and Judgment. Persistance has paid off, however. By reminding them every few days that people DO need new events/ribbons in Judgment, it seems it's finally clicked and they are doing what needed to be done a while ago. I agree it's been extremely prolonged in arriving.. Maybe they didn't see Judgment as a priority because of the low player count? Would make sense. But I don't know. I'm just happy they are actually keeping in touch and letting me know how things are progressing - and let's face it; how many companies do that? Respond on a personal level to hundreds of their fans? I've never ONCE received anything back from Capcom or any other AAA studio.

Thanks for the update. I'll take this if they can't give us the 29/30 method.

• 2 weeks later...

Fallout just posted that this has been postponed until next week due to a bunch of matchmaking issues that they chose to work on instead this past week.