1999 Mode Discussion

Creech

I'm on chapter 26 right now on my 1999 playthrough and have so far been extremely disappointed. I'm not a guy who normally complains about how easy video games have become but this game is very easy on the hardest difficulty. I can think of 2 or 3 fights later that I know are gonna be really hard but overall this mode should have been the hard difficulty or maybe even normal and they should have made one or two even harder.

To this day, I do not understand how one can simply complain about how a game is 'too easy.' They are for fun, not to pull your hair out. If for some reason you somehow have fun pulling your hair out, you should probably see a psychiatrist. If you want a challenge, go play the earlier CoDs on Vet or Ninja Gaiden or some shit.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a challenge, go play the earlier CoDs on Vet or Ninja Gaiden or some shit.

I have and they were ridiculously hard to beat (CoD's, I stopped play Ninja Gaiden because I found it repetitive and boring). It's not that I want a game to be extremely hard but I like a little challenge.

Possess and hide. Love it!!

Sooo.... who used the Konami code to unlock 1999? :) I didn't but dammit if that code hasn't been a part of even non-gaming culture for a long time now. That Levine and co. used it for 1999 is simply awesome.

http://www.joystiq.com/media/2006/05/Konami-code-duel-analogs.jpg

[spoiler=COD]

To this day, I do not understand how one can simply complain about how a game is 'too easy.' They are for fun, not to pull your hair out. If for some reason you somehow have fun pulling your hair out, you should probably see a psychiatrist. If you want a challenge, go play the earlier CoDs on Vet or Ninja Gaiden or some shit.

I have and they were ridiculously hard to beat (CoD's, I stopped play Ninja Gaiden because I found it repetitive and boring). It's not that I want a game to be extremely hard but I like a little challenge.

I wouldn't say COD games on Vet are "challenging", more that they are just to pull your hair out. A challenging game is something that is both difficult and fun, ultimately we should enjoy the experience as much as it puts us to the test. COD on vet is just a righteous nightmare of bad game design, and is very not fun. Grenade spam? Check. Monster closets? Check? Bullet sponge enemies? Check. Spawn dying in campaign from terrible checkpoints? Check. Add all that on to a hollow shooter campaign that is mediocre at best and all in all it is simply not a worthwhile experience.

OT: Finished up 1999 yesterday, it was sweet cathartic retribution ...

[spoiler=asshole]... after finding my bike with a busted rear wheel because some asshat bike thief failed to break my lock, so took his assholedom out on my rear wheel. Brand new fucking rim I just replaced last week bent on an unhealthy angle, snapped the fucking thing. Glad they didn't bend my bike frame itself, or I'd be fucked. Beating 1999 made me smile on a day I was just incredibly pissed off. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

1999 for me was like Hardcore in Dead Space 2, very very very worth the experience. I truly enjoyed it as punishing as it was.

So all in all the end battle had me worried initially. I tried the bullet shield thing and started to get my ass handed to me so went with the possessing-of-every-living-soul-I-could thing. Distracting the patriots with electroshock or possession to get a reprieve from their attacks on the engine. Actually managed to get a patriot to chase me instead of shooting the engine too which I think saved my bacon, as it was pretty low. Avoided killing at least one of the patriots outright if I could after mopping the humans up, tried to keep reinforcements from coming in. Also tried to stay on the upper level as much as possible for a quick run back to where there was some RPG and salts stashed behind the engine on the desk.

Never used Songbird for a deck attack, only on zeppelins so that saved some grief on waiting for him to recharge. That possession causes a suicide of the possessed afterward is a huge lifeandammosaver too when the RPG guys come out to play since they're bullet sponges.

After the zeppelins were downed, thought I had more coming still but took out a patriot chasing me and got the message to meet Elizabeth on the bow, guess it was the last one.... I damn near cried happy.

Siren: pain in the arse, even with charge and fire attacks/gear. Found that dammit, when charging... don't miss, ever. Every single hit needs to connect with her and not one of her zombies or you can loose your chance. This was the most frustrating spots in the entire game for me. Had to reload the checkpoint before the graveyard quite a few times before I finally got the hang of it. It's the only place I ran out of cash and got booted to the main menu. Gear wise I went with what everyone had been suggesting: fire, melee, explosive etc.

Handyman fights: Crows and devil's kiss, and yes the winter shield if there's a rail to use. Crows are a nice distraction and keeps him sitting in one spot to get some damage on him. Otherwise the bugger just jumps around too much like a monkey on crack. Gear: Wintershield, Hill Runner for when he gets close and gets a whack on yah, Fire Bird, Death From Above.

Salts/Health/Shield infusions:: I upgraded shield all the way first then health and salts back and forth, but realized later on especially in the Siren fight maxing salts over health would have been more useful. Running out of salts while charging never ended well and more and more relied on possession as the game progressed.

Gear for the rest of the game was pretty much the same: Vampire, Deadly lungers, Blood to salt, Burning Halo or Electric touch.

Weapons: agree with absolutely everyone, upgraded carbine. Keep it on you at all times even if you have no ammo, you will find some. I swapped out the sniper/shotgun/RPG/younameit depending on what was available in the level as my backup and what the situation was. But dammit that carbine is beast and great for both close quarters and ranged engagements.

Edited by Opiate42

• 4 weeks later...

Im almost finished with my 1999 run, just fought and destroyed the first siren and i have found a few things that have worked for me.

Keep possession as one of your vigors at all times, i cant say how many times it has saved me by either having the possessed person/turret taken out quickly saving health/money/bullets, or by them taking out one or 2 enemies and then themselves. Also keep murder of crows or devils kiss as the other one. both are good at distracting/killing enemies.

Carbine/machine gun/hand cannon should be your weapons of choice. this allows you to take on heavy hitters like firemen and the guys with bull helmets and also the weaker infantry. Also turrets and the like. i kept the machine gun most of the time and switched out the carbine and hand cannon whenever the situation demanded it.

You should use the infusions to upgrade your health to a decent part f with the one or 2 to your salts and shields within say your first 10 infusions. After that go into salts/shields as you see fit as you will be relying on both of them more and more. as your shields go down quickly enough even with upgrades. Buying the season pass gives you a little more flexibility in how you distribute them. As for guns/vigors only do it when you have a lot of money to spare so like 7-800 silver eagles to give yourself some breathing room in case you die. I only upgraded my devils kiss for more damage, possession to posses humans, and charge to recharge my shields and to make myself invulnerable.

As for gear i have been using gun play focused pieces only using my melee attacks in the beginning and at times when i could knock them off with bull-rush (a piece of gear you get from the premium/ultimate songbird edition.)

The only enemies i have had an issue with are patriots because shocking them and going to shoot there back takes to much time that as soon as you get there they turn around. Just keep shooting especially at there heads to stagger them. Handymen are easily taken care of my running around a lot/using skyrails to leap up and down while your shooting at him and by hitting with with murder of crows. Sirens can be tricky but the charge method works like a charm. The second firemen is a pain because you only have your pistol/claw to deal with him.

After completing my 1999 run, (i just finished it 2 mins ago from editing this) go full on melee with blood for salts, burning halo the one that stuns and does electricty/fire damage (you choice) and i used fit as a fiddle to make respawing a bit eaiser. I upgraded my charge to add explosive damage. This makes Comstock house and the final battle a joke. Just charge everything you see (except turrets). For the final battle just keep riding the skyline using the air attack to kill off weaker guys and to stun the stronger ones to take them out quickly, charge patriots and you can them out in 3-4 charges. All in all it was not as hard as i had anticipated.

Edited by SicklyPlague

• 2 weeks later...

I rarely go to the forums to post, but I felt ti was worth it for this one.

Completed 1999 Mode 7-9-2013

Primary Weapons: Carbine (Fully upgraded), Comstock's Broom (Shotgun, 3-4 upgrades) With a one-time use of a fully upgraded Hand Cannon (last Lady Comstock fight...didn't have enough carbine ammo)

Infusions: 10 Health, 10 Shield, 8 Salts

I fairly used a good deal of my Vigors at one time or another, but used the fully upgraded Shock Jockey traps to protect the core a fair bit on the final fight.

50-50 achievements. Did 11 on 1999 Mode (missed a few things the first time through on Normal)

NOTE: I did have the pre-order DLC and goodies so my shotgun was dealing 10% more damage than normal. Didn't however see the point in upgrading the spread.

You just have to pay attention and keep yourself aware of your health and let the shields recharge. Theres a nice piece of gear that reduces the wait by 1 second and speeds up the charge rate by x2

• 2 weeks later...
is there anyway of getting winter shield late in the game?
Yeah dude all pieces of gear in the game are collected at random, so just remember if you know there is a piece of gear right before a check point just reload the check point to see if you can get a better piece of gear. And dude winter shield is the tops for fighting handymen, I got winter shield early and basically I was invincible through all four of the handyman fights, so yeah dude try to get it it will seriously help out your game :D Plus if anyone needs tips for the siren battle or the command deck just let me know :D

• 1 month later...

Someone posted this on here somewhere before and it is the best way to beat the 1999 mode real easily. Plus I'm gonna add some of my own tips as well, since I just beat the mode.

Fully upgrade weapons- Carbine, Shotgun, Sniper Rifle. Use the Shotgun as your main. Only use the Carbine and Sniper Rifle for long distance.

Fully upgrade vigors- Charge, Bucking Bronco, Devil's Kiss, Shock Jockey. Charge with the build below pretty much makes you invincible against all human AI. Shock Jockey is great for stunning the pesky Patriots and the Mosquitoes.

This is the equipment you want to have equipped.

-Electric Touch, or Electric Punch if you have the season pass

-Blood to Salt

-Vampire's Embrace

-Brittle Skinned

If you find a Equipment package and not one of these is the desired equipment. Simply continue to reload the checkpoint till its one of the desired ones. There should be at least 4 good spots in the game where you can continuously reload the checkpoint and not be too far away from a equipment package.

Note- for this build to work best, fully upgrade health and salts, then use the last four infusions on the shield.

Try to upgrade your health the first two times, then salt next two, then health again and then salt again. Once you have four upgrades into salt, wait till health is up to 8 upgrades to put two more into salt, then fully upgrade health.

Ok the first Handyman is real easy too beat, just simply do the glitch on him where and gets stuck and shoot him with the Sniper Rifle.

When you fight all the other handymans the best thing to do is continuously use the Devil's Kiss trap move on them. Make sure the Devil's Kiss is fully upgraded.

Second one- is trickier, and the hardest. This one is difficult because there is no where to replenish health once you killed all the other guys, which I suggest you do first. Try to keep going to the upper platform areas and setting Devil's Kiss traps. Once The Handyman comes up there he should step on them coming after you. Get a couple shots in with whatever. Then right before he jumps on you, use the skyline. Continue to do this and then when you run out of salts look for some in the area real quick. There should be at least a couple of refills, which should be more then enough. If you run out of Salts, it shouldn't matter, if you did everything right because he should be low on health and you can just finish him off with your weapons. Continuing to use the skyline evade method.

Third one- There should be two spots on the right hand side of the area where there is a medical tear, and then on a lower platform, excess-able by skyline with a salt refill tear. Stay over in these two areas activating the tear closet to you at all times. Use the Devil's Kiss trap technique on this handyman, along with shooting him. Set two traps near the medical tear or vise versa which ever you start at first, and then once he activates them, use the skyline and make your way to the other area and set two more traps. If you run low on health you'll be able to heal yourself using the medical tear and vise versa with the salt tear when it comes to your salts. When you first get to this area there may be a couple of guys close to this area kill them but don't worry about the other guys towards the left they are too far away to really bother you.

Fourth One- Try to move quickly around the area using the skyline and try to take out all the guys in the main area room. If you are using the equipment attachments I said to use and you have the Charge fully upgraded this should be easy. There should be a medical tear in the area. You're gonna wanna activate that as your moving around the room. Use the Devil's Kiss trap technique once again, along with shooting him, along with the skyline evade technique. Try doing this more towards the area right where you entered since the medical supplies are closer to you there and there may still be more guys alive in the second area shooting at you. Do not worry about these guys though they won't come after you and there's two turrets shooting rockets over there you want to avoid for now. There should be some salt refills lying around.

The siren battles shouldn't be that hard, except for maybe the last one which can be tricky. Just focus on shooting the sirens from long range with a Sniper RIfle or whatever, and when the enemies get close use the Charge vigor. If you have all the equipment I suggested you should be able to always heal yourself when you kill the enemies. Also be able to get salts from some kills.

Well I hope some people find this helpful. I know the person who listed the original build helped me. I beat the game pretty easily and died no more then about 8 times. Every time I died, I immediately paused the game and reloaded the checkpoint to avoid a money penalty.

Edited by CrAzYnEsS

Could someone confirm to me how checkpoints work in 1999 Mode? Having some issues...

I've reached the point in the Emporia chapter where you go through the turnstiles to get to an elevator. Just before that I was killed. Rather than lose money, I used the reload checkpoint option. To my frustration, the game's taken me all the way back to when you enter the police station (Bull Yard I think) in the Finkton Industries chapter.

I do have a point that I can load which is the start of the Emporia chapter, but it's annoying that I have to go through a few major battles again. Did anyone else have this problem?

Could someone confirm to me how checkpoints work in 1999 Mode? Having some issues...

I've reached the point in the Emporia chapter where you go through the turnstiles to get to an elevator. Just before that I was killed. Rather than lose money, I used the reload checkpoint option. To my frustration, the game's taken me all the way back to when you enter the police station (Bull Yard I think) in the Finkton Industries chapter.

I do have a point that I can load which is the start of the Emporia chapter, but it's annoying that I have to go through a few major battles again. Did anyone else have this problem?

The checkpoints are only at where the game auto saves. So as soon as the game auto saves that's where your checkpoint is gonna be and yes some of the checkpoints go a ways back when you die.

My tip for the final battle.

When the patriots come along, make sure you are on the top platform. Get undertow, and drag them up. Drag and one melee shot and repeat. It will usually melee one off to drop to their death, and the other will remain motionless at the top. Go and kill all of the other enemies.

This method will allow you to defeat the wave of enemies, and give you an opportunity to scavenge ammo, set traps, and re-set your Return to Sender around the core. When you're ready, go up top and melee the Patriot to death.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I hate this achievement! I got stuck on the stupid siren! I've upgraded my armor, and salts. I've upgraded charge, murder of crows, and i can't remember which other one. But i still can't get pass the damn siren! Anything else I should do?

Fully upgraded Charge and Shotgun work well for the first encounter in the graveyard, so well in fact that you can defeat her without her ever getting a chance to do anything. The second and third encounters though take time and patience and keeping at a well good distance. If you stay just inside the bank vault by the door then you should be fairly safe from harm (when i did this i was lucky enough for her to glitch and die somehow). The third encounter is a pain, if you can burn all then enemies to ash then she can't revive them, making this a somewhat easier fight. Good luck. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just did 1999/Scavenger Hunt. It was shockingly easy for me because:did it on hard before so knew what to expect, awesome Internet tips: mash charge at the siren, return to sender at the core of the zeppelin, and most importantly reload previous checkpoint. Can't tell you how many times I used that thing so that a fight would end up with me in full health &salts. Oh also upgrade your shields before doing anything else, and just take it really slow, don't rush.

E: and search every level at least twice for trash cans, purses, etc.

• 5 weeks later...

I was actually disappointed in how easy 1999 mode/Scavenger Hunt was. All you had to do was be smart with your ammo (Don't fire blindly) and search EVERYWHERE for money/ammo/health. I had only played this on Easy the first time before attempting it too.

By the end I had fully upgraded these weapons:

Sniper Rifle

Shotgun

Carbine

And had 2 upgrades on pistol/Machine gun

and damage upgrades on repeater/hand cannon.

For vigors, I had fully upgraded:

Charge

Bucking Bronco

Undertow

Return to Sender

And had the one upgrade each on Devil's Kiss and Possession.

I even had $2000 left at the end battle, which I didn't spend thinking I might need it for this much talked about uber-battle for the ages... I would have upgraded the RPG all the way if I had known I didn't need to save the money...

For the end battle, I literally beat it the first time with half of the ship's lifebar left. I didn't even use Undertow or Charge on it either; Return to sender only. Not sure what all the fuss was about for people with this battle... I had harder times with battles in Finkton. Just drop as many RTS traps as you can around the core (More in front, since not a lot of enemies come to the back) until your salts are depleted, then grab salts from the cabin, and repeat. After you put enough down, just kill everyone you can find, concentrating on the heavy hitters (rocketmen/patriots)

Edited by mesoungodlyfast