Fallout 3:PC

PenderPowguin

Am I able to play this on a PC with Windows 7?

I've been craving another play through, and what better way than on a PC filled with new achievements, funny Mods, and what-not?

I've read that some people were having issues, and even on the Fallout Site says it's not compatible?

1.) I am a complete PC gaming n00b, so be gentle.

2.) I tried to search, but I failed.

3.) I have the minimum system requirements to run the game, this is a question of the OS.

Also, I've read that one could potentially use their 360 game pad whilst playing this. How is this feasible? With wired controllers only?

Thanks!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will be able to run it. It just may take a bit of fiddling round. At least on steam. I'm sure there are various fixes listed on the steam forums. I luckily had no issues with it. Where they say it's not compatible, basically means "We can't guarantee it'll run perfectly". But it does, aside from a few crashes here and there to rather specific things. My mate had a few problems but he can run it fine now. Can't help you with the controllers, but I presume it would need to be wired.

Edited by DJConnelly
Spelling

It will work on Windows 7.

Concerning mods, most of them disable GFWL, meaning no achievements. You can still fiddle with the console though if you wanted to give yourself certain items, infinite health/ammo, etc.

A 360 controller does work, you can use a wired one or get an adapter to allow wireless controllers to work. A wireless controller with a Play'n'Charge cable will not work.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Black-Windows/dp/B005F1ZUU4/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1370263707&sr=1-3&keywords=Xbox+360+Wireless+Gaming+Receiver+for+Windows]Amazon.com: XBOX 360 PC Wireless Gaming Receiver Black for Windows: Video Games[/ame]

Edited by Veedrock

Am I able to play this on a PC with Windows 7?

I've been craving another play through, and what better way than on a PC filled with new achievements, funny Mods, and what-not?

I've read that some people were having issues, and even on the Fallout Site says it's not compatible?

1.) I am a complete PC gaming n00b, so be gentle.

2.) I tried to search, but I failed.

3.) I have the minimum system requirements to run the game, this is a question of the OS.

Also, I've read that one could potentially use their 360 game pad whilst playing this. How is this feasible? With wired controllers only?

Thanks!

Already been answered but I ran the game on Win7 without a single issue.

A 360 controller does work, you can use a wired one or get an adapter to allow wireless controllers to work. A wireless controller with a Play'n'Charge cable will not work.

Amazon.com: XBOX 360 PC Wireless Gaming Receiver Black for Windows: Video Games

Nice, thank you to everyone for the quick responses. So it looks like it's a go on Win. 7, excellent.

As for the controller, are there gamepads I can use otherwise, or would that adapter be the best bet?

Already been answered but I ran the game on Win7 without a single issue.

But the real question here is why did you run the game on PC at all? Gotta make sure you have plenty of ammo to use against the enemy? Or does your love of achievements override your hate of Bethesda? lol.

Also, on-topic, just to confirm, Fallout 3 does run on Windows 7, it just wasn't designed for it and thus has some issues, you may get lucky and have no problems at all. Either way, it can be made to run.

As for the controller, most, if not all, PC games are now fully compatible with the 360 controller, if not natively, then through a program like Xpadder. I personally would suggest getting the wireless receiver, but you'll have to buy a new controller to get one (unless you find just the adapter for sale somewhere), so it's your call wether you want to save some cash and get a wired controller or just have an extra wireless laying around. Either would be fine for playing Fallout.

And finally, make sure to check out fallout3.nexusmods.com and download all the nude mods! LOL, no, but really, they've got some good stuff there. If your PC can handle it, download NMC's texture pack and a nice ENB, such as Midhrastic's ENB, it will make Fallout 3 look like Skyrim. Oh, and check out Millenia's weapon mods, he's got some great re-textures and new weapons, as well. Yes, I play and mod Fallout a lot on PC, lol...

I only had a freezing issue due to the fact that the game wasn't designed to run with multi-cored CPUs. This ended up freezing my game every couple of minutes, but there's an easy fix detailed in the following link if you do run into that issue.

If you go here:

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Fallout_3

you can find pretty much every problem that can be encountered with the game and a fix for it.

Bah, WOLF beat me to it - so I'll just edit this and say I agree with him! The game is a fun game, and the OP says he likes it. I'm sure just playing through it again won't hurt, but if any missed achievements are needed - and OP doesn't want to play through again - then just use the commands.

Edited by Deific Aberrant

The only thing that's giving me any hesitation is the inability to use my current Xbox 360 controller without the adapter (more money needed). Which would mean, utilizing Mouse + Keyboard. This may not be as bad as I imagine, but I know I'll be completely retarded with movement at the beginning, lol.

If I do get the adapter, I would most likely feel the need to purchase more games for Windows to justify the purchase :)

And I'm still playing Dark Souls on the console.

Mmm, games.

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/images13/general/homer_simpson_drooling.gif

As for the controller, are there gamepads I can use otherwise, or would that adapter be the best bet?

As far as I'm aware it's only 360 controllers, but it can be a third party one. There are some pretty cheap wired controllers, or you can spend a little extra and get a controller with extra functionality that will also benefit your 360 play as well (like an EX2 Hori Turbo controller).

It's worth the investment imo, you'll get more enjoyment out of the game if you're using a familiar control scheme.

Just curious, aren't you able to 1000G this within minutes?

Yes, but not everyone wants to do it. As the TC mentioned he's been wanting to play again, so unlocking everything immediately would defeat the point. I sort of regret using the console to 100% the game, but doing so allowed me to start using mods right away without the distraction of achievements.

A

Yes, but not everyone wants to do it. As the TC mentioned he's been wanting to play again, so unlocking everything immediately would defeat the point. I sort of regret using the console to 100% the game, but doing so allowed me to start using mods right away without the distraction of achievements.

Not gonna lie, I might use the console to get the annoying achievements (collect 100 ingots: The Pitt = I hate you!), and maybe the karma achievements.

I went browsing through the mods, and I'm probably in over my head with that sort of stuff. Just makes me realize how PC gaming-dumb I truly am. So, do I just download the files into the Main file and it's ready to go? How does that work?

But the real question here is why did you run the game on PC at all? Gotta make sure you have plenty of ammo to use against the enemy? Or does your love of achievements override your hate of Bethesda? lol.

Gamerscore League made me do terrible and horrendous things. We won...but I'll never forgive myself.

Not gonna lie, I might use the console to get the annoying achievements (collect 100 ingots: The Pitt = I hate you!), and maybe the karma achievements.

I went browsing through the mods, and I'm probably in over my head with that sort of stuff. Just makes me realize how PC gaming-dumb I truly am. So, do I just download the files into the Main file and it's ready to go? How does that work?

Not quite, but it depends on the mods. Most come with pretty clear instructions, but I can help you out as I've installed just about every kind of mod there is, from the simplest texture replacer, to one that turns Fallout 3 into a huge DLC for New Vegas. Just let me know what kind of mods you're trying to install. You can also use FOMM or NMM (both are hosted on the Nexus) to install the mods, but I do everything manually unless instructed otherwise.

Just curious, aren't you able to 1000G this within minutes?

Yes. There is a console command (I believe it is: addachievement "x". With X going up to like 74) that you can enter. Microsoft doesn't consider it "illegal" because it was something the developer put in and have left in through multiple patches.

I admit I used it. However, I only used it long after I had already played the 360 version which I played long after I played the PC version. When I initially played the PC version I didn't have an XBL account (no 360) and didn't play it linked to GFWL.

So the way I looked at it was this: I would have had all the achievements unlocked if I had played it linked originally so why not just add them all through the console.

Yes. There is a console command (I believe it is: addachievement "x". With X going up to like 74) that you can enter. Microsoft doesn't consider it "illegal" because it was something the developer put in and have left in through multiple patches.

I admit I used it. However, I only used it long after I had already played the 360 version which I played long after I played the PC version. When I initially played the PC version I didn't have an XBL account (no 360) and didn't play it linked to GFWL.

So the way I looked at it was this: I would have had all the achievements unlocked if I had played it linked originally so why not just add them all through the console.

lol, you don't need a justification for this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For you computer guys out there (I'm not terribly good at this), here's the specs for my laptop, can I run Fallout 3?

Compaq Presario CQ62 Notebook

Processor - 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron

RAM - 2GB DDR3

Memory Speed - 800 MHz

Hard Drive - 250 GB SATA

Graphics Coprocessor - Intel GMA 4500M

Chipset Brand - Intel

Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M

Graphics Card Ram Size - 797 MB