GSL Participation Requirements

Creech

I would like to hear your input on what you feel the requirements should be to join GSL 12.

We have had an excess of drama and cheating in the past, so for a bit we severely restricted participation. I would like to open it up more this year, especially given the cross-site competition with PS3T, but I also don't want to put myself in the position of having to police a bunch of unethical folks who create a new gamertag and site profile just to win a friendly competition.

So what do you guys think?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps if we don't want people using fresh tags they should have at least 2-3 years tenure on Xbox Live. Something that we can easily check. Though I do know a lot of people that have low scoring boosting tags that have been around for years, so this may not be the best idea.

Or the usual Gamerscore limit - say people must have at least 25k to join (though the figure could be amended depending).

In terms of cheaters etc perhaps make it simple. If someone on your team cheats - then the whole team is out. Easy as that. It would encourage people to get to know their teams and do a bit of self-policing before the contest even began.

It would also save us having the situation of people needing replacements etc which can get supremely messy. Same goes for if one of your team decides not to participate/score anymore. You just have to live with it and take up the slack.

Some of these things sound harsh but it means there are less arguments and no way for people to manipulate the contest with false players and people that can burn through a certain amount of GS then get replaced by someone else who can do the same.

Also, if we are having a cross site contest with PS3T then the entry requirements need to be the same (or as close as they can be in terms of GS vs Trophies) for complete fairness).

I don't think jackanape's suggestion sounds harsh at all. There needs to be some sort of limitations. To add to his comment, I think that staff and subs should automatically qualify or at least have been subbing for a certain amount of time (6 months? a year?). Ambassadors have already been through some sort of screening process so maybe have some sort of leeway for them as well.

I'm really not sure. I just joined this site, my GS is only 14k and I've only had my xbl account for a year so all these suggestions kinda knock me out of the running. ._.'

The contest seems like a fun idea, and I understand that you simply just have to make it fair.

Guest Scotty
To add to his comment, I think that staff and subs should automatically qualify or at least have been subbing for a certain amount of time (6 months? a year?). Ambassadors have already been through some sort of screening process so maybe have some sort of leeway for them as well.

i don't really feel like i have a say in this, as i'm not too sure i'll be competing, but i don't think anyone should be automatically allowed in because of their site status. maybe staff, being that they where trusted enough to represent the site. but everyone else should have to fall under the criteria. it shouldn't matter that you subscribe, as that doesn't mean you're not a cheating arsehole.

i think,

• 1 year on the site
  • 500 posts
  • 30-50,000:gsicon:

it's probably excessive, but it keeps participants that are trusted.

i don't really feel like i have a say in this, as i'm not too sure i'll be competing, but i don't think anyone should be automatically allowed in because of their site status. maybe staff, being that they where trusted enough to represent the site. but everyone else should have to fall under the criteria. it shouldn't matter that you subscribe, as that doesn't mean you're not a cheating arsehole.

Meh, fair enough. I guess "automatically" was the wrong word. What I mean is with less restrictions.

Do these things get super competitive?

I mean, I'd be interested if I met the criteria, but not if its overbearing.

I think between 30,000 and 50,000 is acceptable. For people at the lower end of the GS range say 30,000, maybe their completion percentage could be taken into account? That shows that even though they don't have a huge collection they are still dedicated to achievement hunting!

i think,

• 1 year on the site
  • 500 posts
  • 30-50,000:gsicon:

it's probably excessive, but it keeps participants that are trusted.

Those requirements were pretty much what it already was wasn't it? I find it totally acceptable.

Also, if we are having a cross site contest with PS3T then the entry requirements need to be the same (or as close as they can be in terms of GS vs Trophies) for complete fairness).

Are you suggesting that the requirements for GSL need to be the same in PS3T's THL? It looks like the requirements over there is just being a member for three months and having 250 posts.

Guest Scotty
Those requirements were pretty much what it already was wasn't it? I find it totally acceptable.

was it? i've not got a clue, this is just what most site requirements seem to be and they are usually adequate.:)

My personal opinion. Start with your idea:

This year we are probably going to have the requirement be that you qualify to be on the leaderboard, have been a member for at least one year, and have at least 50,000:gsicon:. At least, that is where I am initially leaning. I will have a thread up for discussion in the next few weeks.

I think these restrictions are fine. I just want there to be a caveat for Ambassadors and Subscribers. I'd say Gamerscore drops to 25,000 for Ambassadors and there's no restrictions on Subscribers who've subbed at least for three months prior to the competition.

I think these restrictions are fine. I just want there to be a caveat for Ambassadors and Subscribers. I'd say Gamerscore drops to 25,000 for Ambassadors and there's no restrictions on Subscribers who've subbed at least for three months prior to the competition.

I like this idea. I didn't become an ambassador for nothing. :p

kidding ofc I love repping the best site around

The only wall you might hit with just putting a "high" GS restriction on it is not getting enough people to match ps3t. If you put 50GS as the target, this might limit a lot more people to take part, thus the overall team will lack compared if you made it 30GS.

In the past theirs been multiple ways to enter, so maybe we put out a few requirements which means it gives those extra people a chance to enter?

Few ideas, some repeated from previous GSL's;

- Staff, Ambassadors & Subscribers

- Previous Dedicated Staff

- Invited by Admin

- 500 Posts & 2 Year Site Member

- 35,000 or 50,000 Gamerscore

- 35,000 or 50,000 Gamerscore & 1 to 2 Year Site Member

- Winning Team & MVP of GSL 11

Edited by Nozza

The only wall you might hit with just putting a "high" GS restriction on it is not getting enough people to match ps3t. If you put 50GS as the target, this might limit a lot more people to take part, thus the overall team will lack compared if you made it 30GS.

In the past theirs been multiple ways to enter, so maybe we put out a few requirements which means it gives those extra people a chance to enter?

Few ideas, some repeated from previous GSL's;

- Staff, Ambassadors & Subscribers

- Previous Dedicated Staff

- Invited by Admin

- 500 Posts & 2 Year Member

- 50,000 Gamerscore

- Winning Team & MVP of GSL 11

Yeah I mean personally I was really considering taking part. I hardly played my 360 up until now and I barely have 10k lol but with these requirements I just can't do that and I don't want to sound like I'm packing my toys up and going to the other side but you would possibly be giving the other side ammunition if people are members on both sites but they only meet the requirements on the other...I know this is all a friendly competition :p but just giving my thoughts on it.

Yeah I mean personally I was really considering taking part. I hardly played my 360 up until now and I barely have 10k lol but with these requirements I just can't do that and I don't want to sound like I'm packing my toys up and going to the other side but you would possibly be giving the other side ammunition if people are members on both sites but they only meet the requirements on the other...I know this is all a friendly competition :p but just giving my thoughts on it.

I know what you mean. I think I'd qualify more for PlayStation3 if I actually joined that site. I've had PSN longer than xbl. I play my xbox more but there are some PlayStation exclusives I've been dying to get to play. Which honestly I will probably never get around to.

Issue is, and not saying you're this type of person it's just an example.

In the past, the GSL invited community members of all types into the GSL. This is what has caused the site to bring in these restrictions. People caused trouble, cheated, got banned etc. You name it, it happened.

So with the restrictions, the site Admin knows that the member entering is a someone that isn't going to take the piss and takes the site + the GSL seriously not to ruin it for everyone.

We can just be letting in every Tom, Dick and Harry otherwise the whole competition will implode!

In the past, the GSL invited community members of all types into the GSL. This is what has caused the site to bring in these restrictions. People caused trouble, cheated, got banned etc. You name it, it happened.

So with the restrictions, the site Admin knows that the member entering is a someone that isn't going to take the piss and takes the site + the GSL seriously not to ruin it for everyone.

We can just be letting in every Tom, Dick and Harry otherwise the whole competition will implode!

Also this time around we are competing against PS3T. We wouldn't want those types of people repping the site making it look bad. There are already enough haters who think their console is superior on the sites and that'll just add fuel to the fire.

I know what you mean. I think I'd qualify more for PlayStation3 if I actually joined that site. I've had PSN longer than xbl. I play my xbox more but there are some PlayStation exclusives I've been dying to get to play. Which honestly I will probably never get around to.

I think it's like 3 months there :p

I definitely can get that but there is that possibility with any member. But I guess until next year for me :D

I think it's like 3 months there :p

It is. I posted the requirements for their THL earlier in this thread:

Are you suggesting that the requirements for GSL need to be the same in PS3T's THL? It looks like the requirements over there is just being a member for three months and having 250 posts.

The reason why they have a lot more people participating is probably because it is not extremely restricted like GSL is here.

I understand completely with why you're so strict on the rules. I'm not upset or angry with them. A little bummed, but I get it. There are idiots on xbox that take things to the extreme. I have met plenty of them. Their sole purpose in life is to ruin things for everyone else. I have come to terms with this. Kinda sucks, but you can't stop the stupid from being stupid.

Yep, I'd say 40k is fine. Possibly 46.5k. [sWEATS]

LOL! That was awesome.

Do these things get super competitive?

Usually there are 3-4 teams that are SUPER EXTREMELY UNBELIEVABLY THIS-IS-THE-END-OF-THE-WORLD-IF-WE-DON'T-WIN competitive. Does anyone remember The Mighty KOTOR? Phenomenal team, won every time the entered if I recall correctly. 3 of the first 5, maybe? Something like that.

Then everybody else falls into either a) just here to have fun with friends; or b) not trying to win, but trying to get as much gamerscore as they can anyway.

Subscribers and Ambassadors will get easier requirements to meet. I think it is only right to show some appreciation for all they do.

I appreciate the input.

Exactly this, and unlike Minty, I hate drama. I think he lived for it and it didn't bother him all that much. Me, if there was a lot of drama, I might be tempted to say fuck it and cancel it mid-stream, even if that meant conceding to PS3T. So yeah, keep the drama on TV and leave the site out of it.

Kinda sucks, but you can't stop the stupid from being stupid.

True, but you can plan for the future and make sure that you meet the qualifications by this time next year, and do so without burning up the easy completions you will need to win. Just sayin'.

Edited by Creech