GSL Participation Requirements

Creech

Usually there are 3-4 teams that are SUPER EXTREMELY UNBELIEVABLY THIS-IS-THE-END-OF-THE-WORLD-IF-WE-DON'T-WIN competitive. Does anyone remember The Mighty KOTOR? Phenomenal team, won every time the entered if I recall correctly. 3 of the first 5, maybe? Something like that.

If you have been a member for a site for awhile like myself, of course you remember KOTOR, they we the reason it took me awhile to partake in a GSL.

Edited by Creech

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal opinion. Start with your idea:

I think these restrictions are fine. I just want there to be a caveat for Ambassadors and Subscribers. I'd say Gamerscore drops to 25,000 for Ambassadors and there's no restrictions on Subscribers who've subbed at least for three months prior to the competition.

I'd say this is the right compromise. In past years, Ambassadors and Subscribers have been automatically eligible and I don't like the idea of blocking people who have previously been eligible.

I would think 1 Year Tenure on card (12+ months of Xbox Live on the account) or 50,000 gamerscore. Excluding subscribers and staff from the 50k. I like what Grifter said about the 25k requirement.

Could also require them to be a member on the site for 6 months or a year. Although I'm not entirely sure what that would accomplish besides excluding potentially casual players.

i don't really feel like i have a say in this, as i'm not too sure i'll be competing, but i don't think anyone should be automatically allowed in because of their site status. maybe staff, being that they where trusted enough to represent the site. but everyone else should have to fall under the criteria. it shouldn't matter that you subscribe, as that doesn't mean you're not a cheating arsehole.

i think,

• 1 year on the site
  • 500 posts
  • 30-50,000:gsicon:

it's probably excessive, but it keeps participants that are trusted.

Agree with this 100%, though I doubt my opinion matters since subs/ambassadors will be given less strict criteria.

But 1 year, 500 (maybe 300-400) posts and 30-50k sound pretty reasonable.

I think it would nice to get as many people as possible so that THL doesn't have to pick and choose for the cross-site comp.

Maybe prerequisite under 5 hour boosting titles. Require them to be on the card before league starts. Or just block them from a count entirely.

That would seem to be the biggest issue for storming through 20-25k super quick on a fresh account that didn't previously have the titles.

But this "member for two years" business... come on guise. Guise. Come on.

One thing people don't seem to realize is that while people with low Gamerscore have the potential to win competitions like this, they rarely do. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people complain about burning out if they try to win GSL first try. It was smrnov that won MVP last year, not some newbie with Avatar sitting around. As much as some people complained about KillerBEA abandoning the tag that got hacked six months before GSL, he was still outscored by his teammate with over 100k, and the margin of victory was greater than the amount that KillerBEA put up (no offense, BEA).

People are worried about making it competitive. I'm worried about having Trying is the First Step Toward Failure counting toward the GSL vs THL against someone trying to win THL.

I agree with Doug. I believe Stallion was also second or third, both starting with over 700k. I say the more the merrier, it is easier to track as it is done automatically. Maybe just create a "gamertag investigations" sort of thread (private once submitted) if anybody thinks anyone else is cheating in any way.

Agree with this 100%, though I doubt my opinion matters

I hope you don't honestly think that. I work really hard to incorporate input from the members across the entire site. The vast majority of the changes I have implemented since PAX last year have been as a direct result of someone giving me their opinion on how to improve the site.

Maybe prerequisite under 5 hour boosting titles. Require them to be on the card before league starts. Or just block them from a count entirely.

That's not going to happen.

One thing people don't seem to realize is that while people with low Gamerscore have the potential to win competitions like this, they rarely do. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people complain about burning out if they try to win GSL first try. It was smrnov that won MVP last year, not some newbie with Avatar sitting around.

It is much more about discipline, experience, time and money.

I agree with Doug. I believe Stallion was also second or third, both starting with over 700k. I say the more the merrier, it is easier to track as it is done automatically. Maybe just create a "gamertag investigations" sort of thread (private once submitted) if anybody thinks anyone else is cheating in any way.

I smell a job I can delegate to Grifter!!!! Yo, Grifter!!!! Damnit, where did that guy go?

It is much more about discipline, experience, time and money.

I smell a job I can delegate to Grifter!!!! Yo, Grifter!!!! Damnit, where did that guy go?

I smell a job that Grifter is going to delegate to me.

And my accountant would prefer that I not elaborate on how many dollars and hours I have put into GSL.

Oh son-of-a....

Alright, everybody loves Grifter right?!? Let's stop suggesting stuff that makes Grifter work harder. Doesn't that sound like a great suggestion? Guys? Hello?

-.-

Damnit...

I smell a job that Grifter is going to delegate to me.

So, Doug, wwwhhhaaaaaat's happening. Yeah. I'm gonna have you come in Saturday. Okay? That'd be great. Thanks Doug.

Edited by Grifter Reborn
Delegate more

I hope you don't honestly think that. I work really hard to incorporate input from the members across the entire site. The vast majority of the changes I have implemented since PAX last year have been as a direct result of someone giving me their opinion on how to improve the site.

I believe you're doing a great job honestly, like it around here a lot more than back in the day. Only reason I said that was because I though subs/ambassadors were already getting more lenient guidelines because of everything they do. I thought there was no debating that. That's all

I believe you're doing a great job honestly, like it around here a lot more than back in the day. Only reason I said that was because I though subs/ambassadors were already getting more lenient guidelines because of everything they do. I thought there was no debating that. That's all

The perks for our Amb's and Subs are ways to thank them for what they do. It also helps motivates others to join those programs when they see the benefit of those perks.

Perhaps there's some people in this thread who'd like to become part of one or both of those programs...

Oh son-of-a....

Alright, everybody loves Grifter right?!? Let's stop suggesting stuff that makes Grifter work harder. Doesn't that sound like a great suggestion? Guys? Hello?

-.-

Damnit...

So, Doug, wwwhhhaaaaaat's happening. Yeah. I'm gonna have you come in Saturday. Okay? That'd be great. Thanks Doug.

Oh, dammit... I really shouldn't be laughing as hard as I am at the extra workload.

[*]1 year on the site

[*]500 posts

[*]30-50,000:gsicon:

it's probably excessive, but it keeps participants that are trusted.

I agree with this. Plus the "invited by admin" that Nozza previously said. I mean I don't think Stallion or Smrnov meet the post requirements of 500, but how could we exclude our best troops?

Either that, or if you were previously in a GSL, then you can be in this one regardless.

Edited by Foxxy kyle

Guest Scotty
I agree with this. Plus the "invited by admin" that Nozza previously said. I mean I don't think Stallion or Smrnov meet the post requirements of 500, but how could we exclude our best troops?

Either that, or if you were previously in a GSL, then you can be in this one regardless.

oh yeah, forgot about those two. as if this makes any difference, but i agree with the previous contestants being allowed regardless of meeting the requirements, and the 2 names above being allowed. those 2 names being allowed could fall under the 'admin invited' requirement that someone suggested, which could let a few more people in that don't meet whatever stipulations are put in place, but 'deserve' to be able to take part.

I'd say this is the right compromise. In past years, Ambassadors and Subscribers have been automatically eligible and I don't like the idea of blocking people who have previously been eligible.

I actually disagree with Ambassadors and Subs being automatically eligible, as in the past people have happily signed up to be an Ambassador or Sub purely to get into the GSL and then quit doing so shortly after. Many teams have used this loophole to shoehorn in players that otherwise would not have been eligible to participate.

I think that Ambassadors and Subs should meet the same requirements as everyone else, or at least have been part of the respective club (Sub, Ambassador) for at least 6 months before GSL starts. Prevents any drama that way.

Plus, if we are to have a cap on GS for the competition (25k or 50k whatever) then it should be the same for everyone to ensure fairness. Not sure why certain members should get a (perceived) unfair advantage in terms of starting score. GSL success is always about motivation and access to games, but if we are going to put an arbitrary GS barrier to entry it should be a level playing field.

I'd also rule out the 500 post idea, as frankly not a lot of people make it to 500+ posts even if they hang around the forum a lot and are super helpful. On the flipside a lot of spamming, trouble causing people over the years have rocketed past that number. Post count is no real measure of contribution.

In other news, I'd be happy to vet any and all competitors and deal with any complaints or queries raised as the contest goes on. Save Doug or Grifter the bother and it's something I'm quite adept at. Plus I'm happy to deal with any DRAMA too, so that Creech doesn't have to shut the contest down early, as that would be sad. Just putting that out there.

I actually disagree with Ambassadors and Subs being automatically eligible, as in the past people have happily signed up to be an Ambassador or Sub purely to get into the GSL and then quit doing so shortly after. Many teams have used this loophole to shoehorn in players that otherwise would not have been eligible to participate.

I think that Ambassadors and Subs should meet the same requirements as everyone else, or at least have been part of the respective club (Sub, Ambassador) for at least 6 months before GSL starts. Prevents any drama that way.

Plus, if we are to have a cap on GS for the competition (25k or 50k whatever) then it should be the same for everyone to ensure fairness. Not sure why certain members should get a (perceived) unfair advantage in terms of starting score. GSL success is always about motivation and access to games, but if we are going to put an arbitrary GS barrier to entry it should be a level playing field.

I'd also rule out the 500 post idea, as frankly not a lot of people make it to 500+ posts even if they hang around the forum a lot and are super helpful. On the flipside a lot of spamming, trouble causing people over the years have rocketed past that number. Post count is no real measure of contribution.

I mentioned 3 months, but if 6 is more amicable I'm not opposed to it. Scratching post count outright I think could be too much. We need to know how someone acts around the forums, so some count is necessary.

In other news, I'd be happy to vet any and all competitors and deal with any complaints or queries raised as the contest goes on. Save Doug or Grifter the bother and it's something I'm quite adept at. Plus I'm happy to deal with any DRAMA too, so that Creech doesn't have to shut the contest down early, as that would be sad. Just putting that out there.

http://www.robgroove.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/whos_awesome.jpg

So I'm off the hook now, right? Creech? *dreads the response*

I mentioned 3 months, but if 6 is more amicable I'm not opposed to it. Scratching post count outright I think could be too much. We need to know how someone acts around the forums, so some count is necessary.

So I'm off the hook now, right? Creech? *dreads the response*

Well 3 months would still let someone sign up now just for the purpose of GSL, which is not really the point. So effectively a sub should be subbing already in order to have the benefit in terms of GSL.

Plus, I don't mean to ditch post count entirely but 500+ is ridiculous in my eyes. I think 50-100 would be preferable, as Creech has already stated somewhere.

Well 3 months would still let someone sign up now just for the purpose of GSL, which is not really the point. So effectively a sub should be subbing already in order to have the benefit in terms of GSL.

:confused: I thought sign-ups would be finished by October 1st? That's ~2 months, which would exclude anyone who signed up now just to compete.

Plus, I don't mean to ditch post count entirely but 500+ is ridiculous in my eyes. I think 50-100 would be preferable, as Creech has already stated somewhere.

I'm perfectly comfortable with 100 posts TBH.