The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman (Image Comics)

Nevander

As a huge fan of the show, I really wanted to get into the comic books/graphic novels as well. I was wondering what the best way to go about getting them would be. I noticed that you can buy two compendiums right now on Amazon for example. They also have hardcovers.

What would the community suggest? Type? Place? etc.

Thanks!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've become a bit bored with the series (at this point reading out of habit), but I would suggest the individual trade paperbacks over the compendiums. I imagine the compendiums are cheaper overall, but I find it cumbersome to read a graphic book that is that large. And I absolutely hate hard cover books in any form so I wouldn't suggest those either, but that's just me.

@Skorpion: Aside from the general locations and characters, the two could not be more different. While some of the same people may die, they are usually in vastly different ways and at different points in the story. Likewise, people who die in the show don't die in the comics and vice versa.

I've become a bit bored with the series (at this point reading out of habit), but I would suggest the individual trade paperbacks over the compendiums. I imagine the compendiums are cheaper overall, but I find it cumbersome to read a graphic book that is that large. And I absolutely hate hard cover books in any form so I wouldn't suggest those either, but that's just me.

This is good advice. They'll save you a lot of money but you might not want to pick them up. My girlfriend got me both compendiums for Christmas and it might sound a little silly but they're a chore to read because holding them is so uncomfortable. They are huge and they are heavy. The day I got them I sat in one position holding the book reading for about an hour and I didn't realize I hadn't moved and I had an awful cramp in my arm for the rest of the day. Okay, I sound like a huge wimp right now and I know how nitpicky I sound, but it happened and it was annoying. If you lift bro, go for the compendiums and if you don't, lay them down on a flat surface when you read them.

Edited by WalterWhite

To me the storyline is rather deppressing the whole no hope for the future everyone is infected thing.

That's really what sets it apart (in the beginning), as it really is just a tale of survival. It has devolved into a story of good vs. evil in a dire situation with the zombies really taking a back seat. Though that is a bit of a logical progression, as the longer they have lived in this world, the better they have learned how to defend and defeat the zombies while humans are still unpredictable.

As Creech has said

Aw, don't confuse us - he's old enough to be my dad! LOL :p

That's really what sets it apart (in the beginning), as it really is just a tale of survival. It has devolved into a story of good vs. evil in a dire situation with the zombies really taking a back seat. Though that is a bit of a logical progression, as the longer they have lived in this world, the better they have learned how to defend and defeat the zombies while humans are still unpredictable.

Just saw Blue and assumed Creech, my bad.

If you lift bro, go for the compendiums and if you don't, lay them down on a flat surface when you read them.

If you lift bro! If you lift

I kinda lift... reason I am leaning towards the compendiums is just so they will be sorta all in one place and easy to find. Plus there are no comic book stores near me where I could easily get them separate.

Thanks for the feedback though guys, I will still think on it some.

Order from Amazon, they'll come right to your door and be waaaaay cheaper.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Compendium-One/dp/1607060760/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375320459&sr=1-1&keywords=walking+dead]Amazon.com: The Walking Dead: Compendium One (9781607060765): Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn, Tony Moore: Books[/ame]

Half as much as you'd pay in a store.

Order from Amazon, they'll come right to your door and be waaaaay cheaper.

Amazon.com: The Walking Dead: Compendium One (9781607060765): Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn, Tony Moore: Books

Half as much as you'd pay in a store.

God damn Americans.

http://i.imgur.com/L9GpfNz.png

http://i.imgur.com/vdRXlFe.png

@Skorpion: Aside from the general locations and characters, the two could not be more different. While some of the same people may die, they are usually in vastly different ways and at different points in the story. Likewise, people who die in the show don't die in the comics and vice versa.

Either way I'm going to wait. I know there were differences but I didn't know by how much. I was skimming through one seeing how far I was into the TV series and saw several similarities and differences. I didn't want to risk too much by skimming ahead to parts that would be in future episodes. Either way I'm either going to be bummed that I already know what's going to happen or bummed because they didn't follow the comic lol.

:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer the smaller volumes. Much easier to read. There may be more of them, but I still enjoy it better. I'm kind of reading two stories haha. I read a small overview of each volume so I could start reading the newer issues that are released every month.

The first individual issue I bought was #103. I'll eventually catch up from the beginning :p