General Discussion and Recommendations

The Pants Party

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I only skimmed this thread so it may have been mentioned, but have any of you read The Sandman series? I found this on amazon: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/The-Sandman-Omnibus-Vol-1/dp/1401241883/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383399028&sr=8-2&keywords=The+Sandman+comic]The Sandman Omnibus Vol. 1: Neil Gaiman, Various: 9781401241889: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

From Wiki-

The Sandman's main character is Dream, the Lord of Dreams (also known, to various characters throughout the series, as Morpheus, Oneiros, the Shaper, the Shaper of Form, Lord of the Dreaming, the Dream King, Dream-Sneak, Dream Cat, Murphy, Kai'ckul, and Lord L'Zoril), who is essentially the anthropomorphic personification of dreams. At the start of the series, Morpheus is captured by an occult ritual and held prisoner for 70 years. Morpheus escapes in the modern day and, after avenging himself upon his captors, sets about rebuilding his kingdom, which has fallen into disrepair in his absence. Gaiman himself has summarized the plot of the series (in the foreword to Endless Nights) as "The Lord of Dreams learns that one must change or die, and makes his decision."

The character's initial haughty and often cruel manner begins to soften after his years of imprisonment at the start of the series, but the challenge of undoing past sins and changing old ways is an enormous one for a being who has been set in his ways for billions of years. In its beginnings, the series is a very dark horror comic. Later, the series evolves into an elaborate fantasy series, incorporating elements of classical and contemporary mythology, ultimately placing its protagonist in the role of a tragic hero.

The storylines primarily take place in the Dreaming, Morpheus's realm, and the waking world, with occasional visits to other domains, such as Hell, Faerie, Asgard, and the domains of the other Endless. Many use the contemporary United States of America and the United Kingdom as a backdrop. The DC Universe was the official setting of the series, but well-known DC characters and places were rarely featured after 1990. A notable exception is Lyta Hall, formerly Fury of the 1980s super-team Infinity, Inc., who figures prominently in the "Kindly Ones" story arc, and her superhuman abilities are not ignored.

Most of the storylines take place in modern times, but many short stories are set in the past, taking advantage of the immortal nature of many of the characters, and deal with historical individuals and events such as in the short story "Men of Good Fortune."

I've never read it, but it seems very interesting. I ordered Welcome to Hoxford a few day ago and when it comes in I let you guys know if it's any good.

edit: Oh crap! Sorry about all those links from the Wiki I copy/pasted, usually sites will automatically block those.

Edited by swatnflyz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What's your guys opinion on fables. I read the reprint of the first issue and thought it was alright, but it has been going on so long that I feel it'd take forever to catch up. Also random thought that popped in my head would any of you guys read a Breaking Bad comic, say about untold stories or something else. I don't think they're working on one but I'm just curious?

What's your guys opinion on fables. I read the reprint of the first issue and thought it was alright, but it has been going on so long that I feel it'd take forever to catch up. Also random thought that popped in my head would any of you guys read a Breaking Bad comic, say about untold stories or something else. I don't think they're working on one but I'm just curious?

I could be wrong but I think the Fables series is finishing soon.

So yea it is a lot to catch up on. But I don't think many more are due to come out.

I started reading it after playing the game, and I really like it. I just finished the first collected edition 'Legends in Exile' which is the first 5 comics. Im hoping to get the next few for Christmas.

In other news, I just started reading Pretty Deadly. Finished issue 1&2 on the weekend. I really liked it. Anyone else read it?

I only skimmed this thread so it may have been mentioned, but have any of you read The Sandman series? I found this on amazon: The Sandman Omnibus Vol. 1: Neil Gaiman, Various: 9781401241889: Amazon.com: Books

From Wiki-

I've never read it, but it seems very interesting. I ordered Welcome to Hoxford a few day ago and when it comes in I let you guys know if it's any good.

edit: Oh crap! Sorry about all those links from the Wiki I copy/pasted, usually sites will automatically block those.

Sandman is one of the few comics that I will recommend to just about anyone. It's fantastic.

Okay so I picked up Origin II, and read the little bit of back story that they provided, can someone fill me in on what happened, it's not fully clear.

I assume you mean what happened in the first series? There have been ten years of Wolverine stories since then. I haven't read the issue yet so I don't know what they did cover, but this should fill in the rest for the most part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_%28comics%29

I assume you mean what happened in the first series? There have been ten years of Wolverine stories since then. I haven't read the issue yet so I don't know what they did cover, but this should fill in the rest for the most part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_%28comics%29

Thank You that was very helpful, like I said the second part to this series doesn't do a great job of explaining what happened.

• 2 weeks later...
Last couple months I've been picking up the BATMAN series. Having Nightwing and Robin in it is pretty cool, personally.

BATMAN series is awesome. I was only reading Batman for a long time, but now I'm getting into other series aswell. Never found something I liked more than Batman, tho.

I picked up Wolverine #62 to #65 (Get Mystique). I really like it so far.

I subscribe to a Marvel Graphic collection, so receive 2 comics each month.

In my latest batch I got Black Panther: Who is the Black Panther?

I'd never read anything into him previously, but actually really enjoyed it. I did a write up on it if anyone was interested - http://geeksleeprinserepeat.wordpress.com/2014/01/14/1st-read-of-black-panther/

• 2 weeks later...