Games For Windows - LIVE is shutting down entirely on July 1, 2014.

Mutated Oreo

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand closing the marketplace if the sales don't support the servers needed to host the files but this I don't understand. I really wish I had more notice than this. I guess I'm gonna have to ignore GTA V and all the other games coming out and do all of my PC games before they become useless files taking up space on my hard drive.

I originally saw this article here,

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/59623/games-for-windows-live-shuts-down-next-july

And they recently updated their article to point out that they removed the part about gfwl shutting down from the age of empires support page link that they got the information from. Either MS didn't mean to announce it right now, they probably were going to wait till a week or two before like they did with the marketplace closure to break the news, or it was a mistake altogether and gfwl servers will still be up.

Wow... Just wow... I've just bought most of the GFWL arcades to inflated prices on the Norwegian Marketplace (1280msp, 1880msp, and 2200msp!) and then this. Excellent.

Why can't Microsoft just spill all the beans at least a month in advance so people can prepare? Instead of first announcing GFWL marketplace going down one week in advance, then waiting till after the marketplace has been taken down to announce server shutdowns? All monetary obviously, they expected a spike in sales after the first announcement, which would not have happened had they let us know the whole plan... Greedy bastards.

Extremely pissed I wasted money during the Steam sale to purchase GFWL enabled games. I guess starting them now is pointless. Now I gotta worry about the achievements in the arcades I overspent on can become unobtainable. :mad:

Edited by keung

This is terrible, I probably have about 15 unplayed GFWL titles on Steam alone. With GTA V & Xbox One coming out I'm going to have to find some serious to time to at least get a decent amount of achievements on each game, going for completions isn't even in question for me, 10 months ain't enough!

I got a feeling that they will launch something new for the PC market. With the acquisition of a former Steam boss, it wouldn't make sense to hire someone like that and abandon the PC market altogether.

With EA announcing that Origin will have a 'returns policy' for their own (EA) games, Microsoft can take a little from Steam, take a little from Origin and bounce back with something better than GFWL.

Cross-platform will be one way to entice gamers, especially those of you who play GFWL titles for the achievements.

So much hate with GFWL... the weird thing is that in my concern, I never had any problem with the platform in itself.

But yes, the marketplace s*cks, their prices s*cks, some achievements in some games are glitched VS the XB360 versions and the updates and supports for the paltform NEVER came in the last few years.

But I love the platform, I love to earn achievements on my PC and I love to chat with my XB360 friends and I love the speed of light that the stuff appear VS on XB360 and I love to play both versions of games that I like on both platform (Dark Souls, Batman, etc)

This is a big slap in the face from Microsoft to all the people who have purchased GFWL titles. What will become of the games ? Ok, maybe we will able to play them offline... And for achievements tracking to Xbox Live, Multiplayers (Dark Souls, GTA IV, etc) ?

**** *** Microsoft!

WE CAN START A PETITION AGAINST THIS STUPID DECISION FROM THE GIANT THAT WE CAN CALL MICRO$OFT ??

As much as I like popping achievements in GFWL games (the ones that register properly, anyway), I don't think the GFWL community is large enough to have an impact on MS with a petition. I have a feeling the high profile games (GTA, Bioshock, etc) will patch in Steam support once GFWL or the marketplace shuts down.

From what I've read most of the regular games absolutely hate GFWL. These people don't care about achievements, they just want to play their games without the extreme amount of hassle that comes with GFWL.

I got a feeling that they will launch something new for the PC market. With the acquisition of a former Steam boss, it wouldn't make sense to hire someone like that and abandon the PC market altogether.

That is indeed interesting information. I certainly hope MS won't completely abandon PC, but I have a feeling they are satisfied with Windows 8. GFWL has always been a pretty bad platform with poor compatibility, random glitches, especially regarding achievements, and from what I've seen not very patch friendly. MS might just have wanted to get rid of the major headache that was GFWL.

In a way this news is actually a blessing in disguise for me as I doubt I was ever going to get through these GFWL in a hurry but now that I know there is a deadline I have extra incentive to complete them. I already started Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition just because of this announcement. Anybody else feel the same way?

It has indeed been a shame that GFWL did not catch on I never understood some of the hate towards it I've had no problems with it at all, Maybe just the launch where it still required Gold to play Online people just went "f" this and assumed it was bad even after PC Multiplayer was free on LIVE.

Still a little surprised its getting shut down I mean it can't cost Microsoft that much since one would assume it connects to the same servers Xbox does when it comes to Achievements, Friends List and such maybe just Multiplayer features will die.

I hate steam also. I use it because I have to.... but I like GFWL, origin, and Uplay much, much better. I have about 5-6 GFWL games started, and I'll try to get what I can done before the closure, and I have 5-6 games that I haven't started, and likely never will now. Luckily, they were all dirt cheap on Amazon so no huge loss.