Games For Windows - LIVE is shutting down entirely on July 1, 2014.

Mutated Oreo

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Steam put an update (like Batman and Bioshock 2), can we consider it as a "steal" from Microsoft ?

When GFWL Marketplace client doesn't want to log in these days, can we consider it like a "steal" from Microsoft ?

When GFWL will close on july 1 2014, can we'll consider it like a "steal" from Microsoft ?

I've bought these games labelled "GFWL" for years, I'm achievements wh*re and I want to play them after july 1 2014...can I consider Microsoft have stoled me A F*****G LOT!!!???!!!

When Steam put an update (like Batman and Bioshock 2), can we consider it as a "steal" from Microsoft ?

When GFWL Marketplace client doesn't want to log in these days, can we consider it like a "steal" from Microsoft ?

When GFWL will close on july 1 2014, can we'll consider it like a "steal" from Microsoft ?

I've bought these games labelled "GFWL" for years, I'm achievements wh*re and I want to play them after july 1 2014...can I consider Microsoft have stoled me A F*****G LOT!!!???!!!

No. WTF.

FYI- you don't lose the ability to play the game (so far) you just lose GFWL support. Guess what? This will happen with the 360 at some point as well.

Can't load the GFWL client.

Can't load Tinker.

Don't even want to bother trying to play other games I have installed lol... I have 2 PC's with different games on each so I'll make due with what I can.

I'm guessing they are killing GFWL earlier than we expected. Oh well.

Edited by yamayamayaamaa

Can't load the GFWL client.

Can't load Tinker.

Don't even want to bother trying to play other games I have installed lol... I have 2 PC's with different games on each so I'll make due with what I can.

I'm guessing they are killing GFWL earlier than we expected. Oh well.

I wonder what the means for the 360? Will it be killed off earlier than expected as well?

I've started Ace Combat, rushing this game to shit before they switch this off too.

What a piss take this whole thing is. :/

Yeah, I'm about to start Gears on PC. Luckily, I have that game on a disc.

@Floorkiller, MS already stated that they will be supporting 360 for a few more year. I mean, all the upcoming games prove it lol.

The 360 makes a profit. GFWL has NEVER shown a profit.

I'm sure, but what about in 2 years when most people have moved on to the XB1 or PS4? A lot of games coming out next year (based on pre-order info) are only coming to next gen consoles, so I see this gen dying fairly quickly (profit wise, for sure).

I'm not trying to start anything...I know it's inevitable. It's just sad when people thought they had @8 months to finish up their GFWL games, only to find out a few have been shut down without warning. Will the 360 shut down without warning as well?

I'm not trying to start anything...I know it's inevitable. It's just sad when people thought they had @8 months to finish up their GFWL games, only to find out a few have been shut down without warning. Will the 360 shut down without warning as well?

These aren't "shutdowns," and the lack of warning is not on Microsoft. This forced removal is happening at the behest of developers, and only through a single service, Steam. Notice how retail and other service copies still use GFWL. Developers are removing GFWL on Steam specifically because they want to use Steamworks, and they're transitioning early because they don't want sales to suffer in the meantime.

Blame Steam for what happens to your Steam library, not Microsoft.

Edited by Veedrock

Steam s****, let's face it :

-Poor matchmaking

-No gamerscore

-Big Picture take ressources and can be annoying with time

-SteamBox is overpriced VS a customized PC

Please, bring a new life to GFWL with "BETTER" interfaces and supports.

That is never going to happen. MS walked away from GFWL years ago, and it is officially dead. All back end support will be removed next year. Games on Windows 8 currently appear to only be arcade style games. Will that ever change? I have no idea, and don't know anyone who even wants to talk about it.

Steam s****, let's face it :

-Poor matchmaking

-No gamerscore

-Big Picture take ressources and can be annoying with time

-SteamBox is overpriced VS a customized PC

Please, bring a new life to GFWL with "BETTER" interfaces and supports.

What...? I actually am not a big fan of Steam because of it's always on DRM model, but those are some silly complaints.

Poor matchmaking? That is a developer issue, not really Steam's fault (unless you are suggesting Steam should work more like Xbox LIVE).

No gamerscore. Well, you got me there, the Steam achievement system is pretty bad. Even PSN trophies seem to be better implemented. I often have a hard time even caring about them, which is too bad really.

Big Picture mode. What's the problem with it? You must have a terrible PC if a simple overlay is killing your performance. It's no more intrusive in my experience than just plain Steam by itself. I'd honestly like it if someone reskinned it to look like Xbox LIVE, but that's not a complaint, more like a silly nostalgic request. :-P

SteamMachines. That's hard to say, we haven't seen all the models and prices yet. Valve have said that there will be cheaper models. But that's not really the whole point, a custom home built PC will always be cheaper, but how many console gamers have a clue about that? The whole point of the SteamMachine is to attract console gamers to the PC gaming market with a simplified, streamlined gaming PC at a reasonable price in a console type package. It could be better, but for now, it's not a bad idea. Though I must admit, I don't think a $1,000 SteamMachine is really going to be as successful at fulfilling this goal as a $500 one could be, because $1,000 seems a little too high-end for the market it's trying to attract.

Poor matchmaking? That is a developer issue, not really Steam's fault (unless you are suggesting Steam should work more like Xbox LIVE).

Games that utilize Steamworks do work like Xbox Live. More info.

Can't verify the validity of the complaint though, haven't played much multiplayer through Steam.

Games that utilize Steamworks do work like Xbox Live. More info.

Can't verify the validity of the complaint though, haven't played much multiplayer through Steam.

Hmm, interesting... Most every game I've played on Steam had some form of server browser, rather than matchmaking. Except, I guess their example of L4D2, but I never really thought about it seeing as how it's a Valve game. I can't say I've ever found L4D2's matchmaking any better or worse than Xbox LIVE games I've played, except that the community for that game in general is absolutely horrible.

Thanks for the link, though.

This may be a stupid question but I just bought my first gaming computer a few weeks ago and I'm still learning the ropes... But here it goes: after gfwl shuts down, will I still be able to unlock solo achievements? I recently bought Dark Souls for gfwl, I know it's a hard and time consuming game, and I don't want to end with impossible achievements linked to my gamerscore.

Opened up a sealed copy of Gears PC installed and when I try to run it, it tells me to reinstall.

Still can't open up the GFWL client either.

Good shit. :mad:

That issue has been around forever. For some reason the game can't install the patch normally. So google gears of war pc windows 7 fix and download TU 3 from MS. Problem solved.