Batman: Arkham Asylum

Batman: Arkham City

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

WARHAMMER 40,000: DAWN OF WAR

Dead Rising 2

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record

Dark Souls

Original Post:

So, I'm reading up on Steam forums that they have patched GFWL out of the Batman games already. It's an automatic update so once you boot up steam, the system is going to switch your purchased copy to the one with Steam achievements. Is there a way to prevent an update to the game if you haven't logged on yet?

Does this apply to any other game yet as well?

EDIT: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_3rd_Party_DRM_on_Steam#Games_for_Windows_Live There is a short list of games that has been affected so far.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/200260/announcements/detail/1909817119598626547

Dear Batman Arkham Fans - Microsoft has begun the process of closing down Windows Live services over the next year. To make sure there is no interrupted service, we will be moving the game to Steam for verification and update services for both the Base and GOTY versions of Batman Arkham Asylum and Batman Arkham City.

If you purchased either of the games on Steam all you have to do is let Steam download the latest patch and you will be fine.

If you purchased the games somewhere else you will need to enter the code in Steam. (You can find steps to do this on the bottom of this.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to continue playing from your current save. You will need to start a new game.

Edited by Ryot Control

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I'm reading up on Steam forums that they have patched GFWL out of the Batman games already. It's an automatic update so once you boot up steam, the system is going to switch your purchased copy to the one with Steam achievements. Is there a way to prevent an update to the game if you haven't logged on yet?

Does this apply to any other game yet as well?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/35140/discussions/

yes its already done on bioshock 2 copies now batman aa and ac. Seems 2k really hates gfwl..

I was able to get to the SecuROM activation menu on the vanilla version, but I couldn't get past it due to the GFWL CD-Key being removed from the list. You may be able to still use it if you already have it activated or still have the CD-Key, but otherwise you're out of luck.

Anyone know if the Origin version of Arkham City is still GFWL only?

I was able to get to the SecuROM activation menu on the vanilla version, but I couldn't get past it due to the GFWL CD-Key being removed from the list. You may be able to still use it if you already have it activated or still have the CD-Key, but otherwise you're out of luck.

Anyone know if the Origin version of Arkham City is still GFWL only?

Again, not quite what was asked for but I just checked Arkham Asylum on Origin and that's still GWFL enabled, so it's likely the case for Arkham City as well. Looks like it's just Steam for now.

Ah fuck, they are moving too fast with these updates. They should make them optional until GFWL is truly shut down D:

I had Steam already open when this was posted, so I guess it hasn't updated mine yet. I launched Arkham City offline, connected online for the activation, and so it's still using GFWL. I'm a bit afraid to close the game, but work means I can't even start it until tomorrow evening and of course finishing it will take some time too, and I fear my computer is gonna fry >_<

EDIT: Turned off automatic updates for all of my GFWL games, hopefully that'll stop a surprise removal in the future. Still not exiting Arkham City, just gonna have to rig a fan to keep my laptop cool.

Edited by Veedrock

*sigh* I had yet to beat Arkham City GOTY on PC yet but planned on getting to it before GFWL shut down and now my game has updated!

And now you've probably lost your save as well. I heard when you reinstall a game that it won't be able to read the old save.

I hope everyone copied their product keys before Steam did this or else you may not be able to reactivate the game if it requires to be reactivated. I'll have to get my hands on a digital copy of these games and reinstall them without steam if my idea doesn't work.

Hey there fellow achievers,

I know times is running out on us for gfwl achievments. So i'm here to post if anybody is ready get some multi-player achievements hit me up. The following games i'm going for are...

Warhammer 40k dawn of war 2 and chaos rising

Dead Rising 2

Storm Rise

Universe at war

Shadow run

Ill be posting on their achievement360 pages of those games as well.

So hit me up if you want to get those multi-player achievements out of the way.

Thanks!

And now you've probably lost your save as well. I heard when you reinstall a game that it won't be able to read the old save.

I hope everyone copied their product keys before Steam did this or else you may not be able to reactivate the game if it requires to be reactivated. I'll have to get my hands on a digital copy of these games and reinstall them without steam if my idea doesn't work.

I had not really done much so losing my Save was not a problem but I don't believe I have the Product Key backed up any where >.<

Should have been some warning about this update, I don't recall reading there was plans for this, would have been nice for Steam to ask if you want to launch GOTY or GOTY with LIVE I believe I have at least one game on Steam that does this, tbh I thought it was this.

For now I have set my other GFWL to not auto update so hopefully won't happen with any other game.

Ok, I just tried out McDurbin's suggestion since I have not run Steam since finding out about the games update.

Disconnect the laptop or desktop from the internet before turning it on. (If you got to get away from your Wi-Fi somehow, do that too.)

Disable Steam in your Windows Firewall from allowing to talk out to big brother.

Set the Steam client to load in Offline mode.

Allow internet access to the laptop.

Play Batman game.

I just tested it out right now and it worked out for my Steam copy of Arkram Asylum. Unfortunately I didn't download Arkram City so I'll be having to get that as a physical copy later.

Keep in mind that this will only work if you have not patched your digital copies yet. The downside is the Steam Client will be disabled until you allow the system to reconnect.

Thanks McDurbin!

Edited by Ryot Control

I'm OK because I hate steam so much, I usually open it in offline mode. I did notice the Steam ach's for Arkham Asylum show up a few weeks ago, but when I played I didn't unlock those, only the Xbox ones.

FYI- Fable 3 (on steam) can be opened up w/o even using steam (When it comes time for that). It can be opened up right from the desktop using the GFWL client. I think Kane and Lynch was the same way, but I can't remember. Neither Batman game can be opened that way though (At least for me) :(

Ok, I just tried out McDurbin's suggestion since I have not run Steam since finding out about the games update.

Disconnect the laptop or desktop from the internet before turning it on. (If you got to get away from your Wi-Fi somehow, do that too.)

Disable Steam in your Windows Firewall from allowing to talk out to big brother.

Set the Steam client to load in Offline mode.

Allow internet access to the laptop.

Play Batman game.

I just tested it out right now and it worked out for my Steam copy of Arkram Asylum. Unfortunately I didn't download Arkram City so I'll be having to get that as a physical copy later.

Keep in mind that this will only work if you have not patched your digital copies yet. The downside is the Steam Client will be disabled until you allow the system to reconnect.

Thanks McDurbin!

You didn't have to do the steam client part, blocking it in windows firewall is enough.Also if you're using wifi you can click on the signal bar and click disconnect where it shows your connected to your network but you don't have to do that either to set up the rule in windows firewall. I made a tutorial on how to do it yesterday, I'm surprised no one has commented on it yet,

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=549349

Edited by McDurbin

I haven't verified this but my friend says that if you replace the launcher then you can undo the patch Steam issued. The launcher is the .exe that you click on to launch the game. If you can get a friend to email you a copy of his launcher, assuming your friend still has a gfwl enabled version of the game you have, then you just take that launcher and replace the one currently in your games folder. You could also download a torrented copy and just copy the launcher off of that if you don't know anyone who can email you their launcher.

Just put Steam into offline mode or block it in windows firewall from communicating with the internet and all of your gfwl steam games will be fine.

Seems like a horrible solution since that means no games are going to update, guess its fine if you only have GFWL stuff.

Can't you just hit Properties on a game and under the Updates tab set it to "Do not automatically update this game" ? This is what I have done for the time being if games update then so be it, I've still not started up any GFWL Title since I heard of the shut down and it draws closer and closer at this point I slowly don't care.