GFWL removed from Steam games

Ryot Control

Seems like a horrible solution since that means no games are going to update, guess its fine if you only have GFWL stuff.

Can't you just hit Properties on a game and under the Updates tab set it to "Do not automatically update this game" ? This is what I have done for the time being if games update then so be it, I've still not started up any GFWL Title since I heard of the shut down and it draws closer and closer at this point I slowly don't care.

That won't work. All that does it stop it from updating while your playing the game and kicking you out of the game like it does on xbox when there is an update.

I only have gfwl games, so blocking steam doesn't bother me.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That won't work. All that does it stop it from updating while your playing the game and kicking you out of the game like it does on xbox when there is an update.

Well I can't believe this, I have never once been kicked off a game on Steam due to there being a update and in the past setting a game not to auto update has done exactly that, its not wise with most games since Multiplayer side ends up outdated but it has worked.

Well I can't believe this, I have never once been kicked off a game on Steam due to there being a update and in the past setting a game not to auto update has done exactly that, its not wise with most games since Multiplayer side ends up outdated but it has worked.

Well I'm just going by what other people have been saying. I don't use Steam often, I prefer retail copies.

• 2 weeks later...
Can't you just hit Properties on a game and under the Updates tab set it to "Do not automatically update this game" ? This is what I have done for the time being if games update then so be it, I've still not started up any GFWL Title since I heard of the shut down and it draws closer and closer at this point I slowly don't care.

Confirming that this isn't foolproof. I turned off automatic updates and have only been using Steam in offline mode to be double safe, but on my most recent PC bootup it tried updating my game. I don't know how it happened, I don't even have Steam set to launch on startup and the update setting is still turned off, but sure enough when I tried to launch the game it said it was downloading an update.

I killed my internet in the middle of the update and saved GFWL thank god. However the download is queued and reads as "mandatory," so I can't launch the game while Steam is online (which it shouldn't have been in the first place :@) and the update will continue downloading as soon as I do take Steam online.

I don't suppose anybody would know where the in-progress update is stored locally? I'd love to delete it so Steam will have to start over (with a fully throttled speed) for extra security.

Quantum of Solace also has a mandatory update, but I don't know if that's GFWL related.

Edited by Veedrock

Just block Steam through your windows firewall and you'll never have to worry about it putting an update out again.

I personally don't want to gimp Steam, but it's a good idea for anybody that wants 100% security now that we know that Steam can and will force you to update.

To be completely honest I had no idea that Arkham City would take this much effort to complete, I thought I'd knock it out in a few days and then be in the clear. Boy was I wrong, Arkham Asylum was a cakewalk compared to this.

Edited by Veedrock

• 2 weeks later...

Sonuva bitch, after 3 weeks I'm finally done with Arkham City. :dance: I'll have to come back to it at some point and try out some mods, I'd love to run around in free roam with Nightwing. It'll be some time before I go for this on 360 >_>

For anybody that got screwed by Steam, the Microsoft Store has the retail version for $9.99 right now. It won't have the DLC though and idk if there's a workaround for that.

===

In other news, Codemasters has commented that they're moving Grid 2 to Steamworks. No ETA, they said it probably won't be until 2014 though. They haven't commented on any of their other GFWL games like F1 2010 or Grid 1 yet.

Capcom has also stated that they plan to convert their titles to GFWL, but haven't made any mention of when or if it'll apply to all titles. The Ultra update for SSFIV will definitely remove GFWL, but it's release is so close to the complete GFWL shutdown that I don't think it's safe to assume all their titles will transition at once. I'm hoping Capcom gives us some adequate heads up, since they have a lot of GFWL titles.

I asked in the sticky but I'll ask here too, where have people read about Dark Souls removing GFWL? I don't doubt it, but I've seen it mentioned a few posts and can't find a source with any more info. It's next in my queue though.

Edited by Veedrock

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't verified this but my friend says that if you replace the launcher then you can undo the patch Steam issued. The launcher is the .exe that you click on to launch the game. If you can get a friend to email you a copy of his launcher, assuming your friend still has a gfwl enabled version of the game you have, then you just take that launcher and replace the one currently in your games folder. You could also download a torrented copy and just copy the launcher off of that if you don't know anyone who can email you their launcher.

Has anyone been able to verify this?

I was able to get a Bioshock 2 and Batman Arkham City physical copy and I have Batman AA on the GFWL store so I guess I'm lucky with these titles. I just can't figure out how to get the GoTY editions yet. Steam doesn't even let me see the game keys so I can't even test out if redeeming them on the GFWL client works.

Has anyone been able to verify this?

I was able to get a Bioshock 2 and Batman Arkham City physical copy and I have Batman AA on the GFWL store so I guess I'm lucky with these titles. I just can't figure out how to get the GoTY editions yet. Steam doesn't even let me see the game keys so I can't even test out if redeeming them on the GFWL client works.

Batman AA goty can be activated with the product key from the regular batman AA so just download the goty edition from a torrent and use the other product key to activate.

If you look around you can find the dlc for Batman AC, some hackers cracked the dlc so that the game can use it.

• 4 weeks later...
As people have mentioned, blocking updates will not work. You need to either keep Steam in offline mode, or kill it with firewall.

I'm sure it's been posted before but I have to ask again.

How do I put Steam in "offline mode"?

How do I kill it with firewall?

I'm not very computer savvy so exact steps will help greatly. Thanks!

I have 2 different PC's with steam, one is Vista and the other is Win7.

Create a new text document and paste the following lines inside:

BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable

ForceOfflineMode=enable

Save it as steam.cfg. Find your Steam install location which will most likely be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam or something similar and move the file you just created inside. This will allow you to launch Steam in offline mode without ever having to open it beforehand.

In the future, you'll probably have to remove that file if you want to launch Steam online again.

Edited by VVh1pCr3am

Look in the same forum that this topic is in, I have a tutorial posted.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=549349

Well the servers are down for that game so you can't complete it. But you can't buy it anymore anyways.
Oh damn I think I remember hearing something like that a while back actually. I would have liked to do the single player anyway but oh well. Are the servers up for the regular Section 8?

Thanks for the response.

Edit: and something irrelevant that I've seen people ask many times but can't remember the response...why is the GS shown here not the real GS we have? Mine's off by more than 60k lol.