GFWL removed from Steam games

Ryot Control

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Ok, I just tried out McDurbin's suggestion since I have not run Steam since finding out about the games update.

Disconnect the laptop or desktop from the internet before turning it on. (If you got to get away from your Wi-Fi somehow, do that too.)

Disable Steam in your Windows Firewall from allowing to talk out to big brother.

Set the Steam client to load in Offline mode.

Allow internet access to the laptop.

Play Batman game.

I just tested it out right now and it worked out for my Steam copy of Arkram Asylum. Unfortunately I didn't download Arkram City so I'll be having to get that as a physical copy later.

Keep in mind that this will only work if you have not patched your digital copies yet. The downside is the Steam Client will be disabled until you allow the system to reconnect.

Thanks McDurbin!

Does this still work? And can someone confirm that Dirt 3 has now had the GFWL functionality removed? Thanks.

Says you.. honestly if you've got nothing to add please leave lol.

I just hated it that's all. It was a completely unnecessary DRM thing for legit PC gamers to have to put up with. I do understand it from Microsoft's point of view but still.

By the way, when is GFWL completely being wiped away? This summer, right?

I can confirm that the Steam version of Dirt 3 still has GFWL functionality as I'm typing this.

The dev has talked about removing it. If you want to finish it, you'd better start it ASAP.

Thanks man. The update I had this morning apparently wasn't to remove GFWL, it just failed to install properly and I panicked. :p Worked after I went back into the game and downloaded it a second time.

I believe if you have your cd keys from the GFWL versions of these, you can open the 'home' section in a still-functioning GFWL game and redeem the code. Should open the marketplace and download the item...I did this for Fable 3 DLC....

That is a great idea. Never even though of it. WOuld be my luck though I only have Steam download codes (15 digits opposed to 25 required) for the games that have not had GFWL stripped out. Bought a few on Amazon tonight for about £3-6($6-11) each so not too bad. It is a little annoying though that I bought quite a few of these games and never even got round to playing them. Only got until end of July so time to pull my finger out I think.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Did this change happen already?

GameSpy should have no effect on the title in the first place because it uses GFWL.

In other news, Major Nelson was just playing Halo 2 yesterday.

Read into that however you want.

Did this change happen already?

In other news, Major Nelson was just playing Halo 2 yesterday.

Read into that however you want.

I think it was him loading it on his surface just to take that picture for his blog.

• 2 weeks later...

http://steamcommunity.com/games/105420/announcements/detail/1407687862584831495

Steamworks update!

19 JUNE - TWISTED_PIXEL

Ms. Splosion Man will now use Steamworks in place of Games for Windows Live. Achievements and cloud saving are now available. You can also convert your previous GFWL save file to a Steam save file. Please note that you will need GFWL installed in order to convert your save game file. Once converted, GFWL will no longer be needed.

Notes:

If you receive an error while converting your GFWL save game just ignore it and continue anyway. The conversion process will still continue. If for some reason it fails, try updating GFWL to the latest version. Link for GFWL update: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=98609

If you still have your save game file but no longer have GFWL installed the conversion tool will fail. Please reinstall GFWL in order for the conversion tool to work. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=98609

Feel free to contact us at [email protected] or post http://steamcommunity.com/app/105420/discussions/ here if you have any problems.

• 2 months later...

Just a heads up to anyone who owns Resident Evil 5, Dead Rising 2 or Dead Rising 2: Off the Record on Steam. Capcom just announced that they'll be removing GFWL and transitioning to Steamworks early next year. So if you've got any of those on Steam it's best to get them done ASAP before the new year.

Source

Just a heads up to anyone who owns Resident Evil 5, Dead Rising 2 or Dead Rising 2: Off the Record on Steam. Capcom just announced that they'll be removing GFWL and transitioning to Steamworks early next year. So if you've got any of those on Steam it's best to get them done ASAP before the new year.

Source

Well as long as you block steam from going online or put it in offline mode then it wont effect you. The leaderboards may stop working but everything else should still work.

• 3 weeks later...

Red Faction Guerilla on Steam now has "Steam Achievements" pending. I expect that, like the Arkham games, this a precursor to GFWL being removed and replaced by Steam. Disc based copies should still be fine. Sooo....if you have it on Steam, you might want to consider bumping it to the top of the priority list :)

Any idea that if you had purchased the CD version of PC games if they will be impacted by steam? I know DoW II you have to have it steam integrated but for games never purchased by steam (like Ms. Splosion Man from GFWL) will they just be passed over? Or do we really not know?

Any idea that if you had purchased the CD version of PC games if they will be impacted by steam? I know DoW II you have to have it steam integrated but for games never purchased by steam (like Ms. Splosion Man from GFWL) will they just be passed over? Or do we really not know?

I can confirm that the disc version of RE5/DR2 don't require or install Steam during installation. As long as the games are available through other means and don't require Steam you should be okay when it comes to not having worry about losing GFWL.

Good news about DoWII:

I found where I had backed up my install files to, and if you use the no-steam crack the GFWL version works fine.

I haven't tried beyond logging in and going to the menu, but it logged me into Live fine.