Tutorial: How to block Steam from removing GFWL from your games

McDurbin

In case you haven't heard, check out this thread,

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=549319

It appears that Steam is forcing its users to install an update that will remove the GFWL interface from its games, meaning that you can no longer sign into your profile and earn achievements.

This does not affect you if you have a retail copy or if you bought a digital copy from some place else other than Steam. Now, I didn't verify if this forced update was true, but just in case I set up Windows Firewall to block Steam from accessing the internet at all. For those that don't know how to do that, watch this video,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBk60Fl7fzo]How To Block A Program Form Accessing Internet With Windows Firewall - YouTube[/ame]

After doing this the next time you launch Steam it will give an error saying it couldn't connect and ask if you want to start in offline mode. Click that and then go to your library. All of your games will start up as normal and they will still have GFWL.

Alternatively if you think this is too complicated then you can also just disconnect your PC from the internet, launch steam, then launch the game and then reconnect your pc to the internet.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.:)

This doesn't work if your game has already updated, does it? Once a game has been patched there's no way to get GFWL back?

Think it through. If your game has already been updated then blocking Steam from updating wouldn't do anything because the damage has been done. So no, you can't remove the patch to bring GFWL back and unless you copied your product keys before this happened then you'll have to buy another copy.

If you had copied your product keys down then you could download the game from a torrent and use your product key to activate it again.

Hmm, can't get this to work. I am blocking Steam.exe. Or is it another .exe I need to block? My Steam still connects online after opening it again.

If you did it right, you have to close it completely. Clicking the X in the top right corner doesn't close it. It just minimizes it. Its still in your system tray, that up arrow in the bottom right hand corner, click on that then right click on Steam and click close. Then reopen it.

Has every GFWL game include this update on Steam at this point? Thanks for the vid though.

Just the titles listed in the topic I linked to at the moment. Best to just block Steam in windows firewall or put steam in offline mode, if you trust that, to be safe.

Hmm, I just instead chose Offline Mode in Steam (Steam > Offline Mode) and now whenever I load up Steam it asks if I want to remain in Offline Mode or Go Online. Better than messing around with the Windows Firewall settings.

Yeah, but you'll have to do it again in 6 months and if you forget or don't notice it went back online and you launch a game then you lost gfwl.

• 1 month later...

Ok man, you have to break this down Barney-style for me. I initially thought I got this down correctly, but the updates got my Batman games and I lost them.

I have five executables associated to Steam:

Steam.exe

GameoverlayUI.exe

Steamerrorreporter.exe

Steamerrorreporter64.exe

SteamTemp.exe

I have created block rules for all five executables. Is there anything else I need to block before I attempt to connect to the internet with my windows?

Ok man, you have to break this down Barney-style for me. I initially thought I got this down correctly, but the updates got my Batman games and I lost them.

I have five executables associated to Steam:

Steam.exe

GameoverlayUI.exe

Steamerrorreporter.exe

Steamerrorreporter64.exe

SteamTemp.exe

I have created block rules for all five executables. Is there anything else I need to block before I attempt to connect to the internet with my windows?

Steam.exe is the only one you need to block, but it doesn't hurt to block the rest. Just recently my antivirus, Avast, decided it was going to control my windows firewall and not allow me to have any control of it and Steam became unblocked. But I put Steam into offline mode and all seems well.

• 2 weeks later...
I saw some people say disabling automatic updates just keeps it from disrupting you while playing the game but it doesn't stop it from updating at all.

The option just stops Steam from applying updates on its own, such as when a lot of us got screwed out of Bioshock 2 when the unannounced update was put out. Instead it'll prompt you to download updates when try to launch the game; Steam may or may not block your ability to play the game until you update though, so you're going to have to be offline regardless.

The option just stops Steam from applying updates on its own, such as when a lot of us got screwed out of Bioshock 2 when the unannounced update was put out. Instead it'll prompt you to download updates when try to launch the game; Steam may or may not block your ability to play the game until you update though, so you're going to have to be offline regardless.

Well if you block Steam in your windows firewall or put it in offline mode you can still play the games online.

Is there anyway to get the non-patched files back?

I can't seem to get ITSP to work at all.

Someone mentioned that if you could get the launcher for the game from a non patched gfwl copy that it'd work, I haven't had to try and confirm that. But if you copied the product key down before all this happened you can download a copy from a torrent site and activate it with the product key.

Someone mentioned that if you could get the launcher for the game from a non patched gfwl copy that it'd work, I haven't had to try and confirm that. But if you copied the product key down before all this happened you can download a copy from a torrent site and activate it with the product key.

I don't have the key :(

And the torrent site version just loads up steam which loads the steamworks edition.