I'm surprised to see no thread for this game at all, especially considering Adventure Time has quite an adult fanbase. Granted I get the game ain't exactly a major release but still I'm looking forward to it, especially considering it's being made by WayForward (who made the 3DS AT game and Ducktales Remastered).

Anyone here who has it, how is it, I'm not expecting AAA quality but is it at least enjoyable, will an AT fan really get a lot out of it?

Well the game isnt out yet for anyone to confirm the game is enjoyable. Unless you somehow got an early copy somewhere. It comes out the 15th in europe and 19th in the states.

Oh, I thought it came out in the US today...and wait what, Europe is getting it before the US!?!?!...seriously?

Having played the game, I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed. Big fan of the show but this just seems like such a lazy cash in.

It's presented in a cute 16-bit style which is fun at first, but I'm mystified as to why they didn't just use the great cartoon visuals from the show. Sure it's fun to see the characters in old skool style at first but it soon gets old.

After that the game is pretty much just Gauntlet. That's it. You get to travel down 100 levels and beat up crappy looking enemies that only have one attack and very limited animations. Each floor is randomly generated and every five floors you go down you get a check point so that if you die/leave you can restart from that point.

The problem is that the gameplay is wafer thin. You get four characters to start which all have a few different abilities (the special attacks are fun at least) and you can unlock four more as you get deeper into the dungeon. You can use the treasure you find to level them up a bit, but other than health it really doesn't seem to matter. You can also use badges you find before you head into the dungeon to give you certain abilities until you next leave (extra health, better block etc).

It got to the point where I would just run past/ignore most enemies, find all the treasure I could and then exit the floor as fast as possible. Spent the first 15 floors killing everything I could and exploring every nook and cranny but it really does get old fast, and most of the stuff you find is useless.

Every ten floors you get to fight a boss, which is a notable character from the show, and that's fun at least. But then the game boots you back out of the dungeon (with no choice) and that's a pain. The problem is that every time you re-enter the dungeon your treasure is reset to ZERO. SO anything you don't spend on items/upgrades is lost with no way to save it. This is a terrible system, as the upgrades are pretty pricy and the only way to build up enough money to keep buying them would be to constantly start from the first floor to build up enough treasure. Or grind to the later floors when you get treasure that is worth more.

In truth there is just not enough Adventure Time type "stuff" in the game. The cutscenes are fun, but too rare, and each character only has a few in game sound bites that are great at first but soon get repeated to death. This should have been awesome but instead it's pretty average and I'm gutted.

@jackanape:

Damn. That's really disappointing.

I'm not getting a new console and they've pushed back Watch_Dogs and South Park, so I was hoping this would be a great stand-in. Too bad it's not that great... :/

By the way, are all of those secret achievements story-related or what?

I'm a big adventure time fan, but this game is horrible.

For a start, it's 8-bit style graphics throughout the game. The characters don't joke or anything. The weapons don't seem to help much... The ice sword freezes people, but really it still takes ages to bash things.

I'm only 25 levels in but it is extremely boring. I wanted to play this with nieces and nephews, but I am trading this back for store credit as soon as I've cleared it. Sounds like it's just a grind to get some achievements.

Having played the game, I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed. Big fan of the show but this just seems like such a lazy cash in.

It's presented in a cute 16-bit style which is fun at first, but I'm mystified as to why they didn't just use the great cartoon visuals from the show. Sure it's fun to see the characters in old skool style at first but it soon gets old.

After that the game is pretty much just Gauntlet. That's it. You get to travel down 100 levels and beat up crappy looking enemies that only have one attack and very limited animations. Each floor is randomly generated and every five floors you go down you get a check point so that if you die/leave you can restart from that point.

The problem is that the gameplay is wafer thin. You get four characters to start which all have a few different abilities (the special attacks are fun at least) and you can unlock four more as you get deeper into the dungeon. You can use the treasure you find to level them up a bit, but other than health it really doesn't seem to matter. You can also use badges you find before you head into the dungeon to give you certain abilities until you next leave (extra health, better block etc).

It got to the point where I would just run past/ignore most enemies, find all the treasure I could and then exit the floor as fast as possible. Spent the first 15 floors killing everything I could and exploring every nook and cranny but it really does get old fast, and most of the stuff you find is useless.

Every ten floors you get to fight a boss, which is a notable character from the show, and that's fun at least. But then the game boots you back out of the dungeon (with no choice) and that's a pain. The problem is that every time you re-enter the dungeon your treasure is reset to ZERO. SO anything you don't spend on items/upgrades is lost with no way to save it. This is a terrible system, as the upgrades are pretty pricy and the only way to build up enough money to keep buying them would be to constantly start from the first floor to build up enough treasure. Or grind to the later floors when you get treasure that is worth more.

In truth there is just not enough Adventure Time type "stuff" in the game. The cutscenes are fun, but too rare, and each character only has a few in game sound bites that are great at first but soon get repeated to death. This should have been awesome but instead it's pretty average and I'm gutted.

This is a HUGE dissapointment. I love the show....hate when developers cash in (I'm looking at YOU Walking Dead: Killer Instinct)

If you are interested, this game is a lot better... and it's free...

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/games/adventuretime/jumping-finn/

But the xbox one is badly made... I just wish there was some sort of quick&easy grinding spot. It's really annoying to play a level without the speedup mod and 50 gold is expensive when you wanna spend your money on upgrades instead.

I'm glad i read this thread, such a shame this has been done badly.

They could have pretty much remade ToeJam and Earl with a modern twist and had a great game if they wanted a dungeon trawler.

Sadly, i know i'll pick this up and grind through it at some point anyway, i just don't think it will be any time soon.

I redboxed it this morning. I had hopes for this, but like a lot of people said, it's a cash in. The random dungeons are nice and all, but after a while, it just get stale. It was charming at first, but I'm kind of just forcing my self to finish now so I can return it quick.

Still, I'm enjoying it for what it is, but save your money. Redbox it or something. The Jumping Finn Turbo mobile game is a lot more fun and only costs $.99. Or if you have a 3DS, Hey Ice King, Why'd You Steal Our Garbage is pretty good.

This really should have been an arcade title.

He's an adventure time fan, which is why the game disappointed him so much. It is the same voice actors, but that's all it's got. I love his ending statement. LSP FTW.

At first I fell in love with this game, then I fell out of love and now I’m going to have to totally fake die, of a fake heart attack. Oh my heart, my heart hurts because I fell out of love with Adventure Time Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW! and now I have to die. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Having never seen the show, I enjoyed my rental copy quite a bit and got to level 16 before things started to get a little tedious. But only a little mind you. Would be a great game for kids because of the simplicity. And remember, it's basically a slick 3DS port.

I would give it 7/10 easily, especially if you like roguelikes. This is a very simple one.

I find it funny that the reviewer here was annoyed by losing all money once you head back into the dungeon. In Japanese roguelikes like The Guided Fate Paradox, you lose all your LEVELS each time you exit a dungeon. Probably a nod to those.