Don't buy this game, you won't be able to play it

zeldafanjtl

I don't know why, but the game considers product keys from new, sealed copies to be invalid. I've tried three different copies from Amazon, and none of them work. I've seen threads about it on various Microsoft help sites, and the official response is always to call a phone number for Games for Windows support. Unfortunately, that number now redirects to support for Windows and Microsoft Office. I tried calling myself and was told that support has ended for Halo 2 Vista and there's nothing they can do for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just purchased a Brand New copy on Amazon from Bearded Gamer and it works fine on my Win 7 desktop from a few years ago. Keys worked and registered flawlessly, though I did have to download the Games for Windows Live installer separately. Plays smoothly, and synced perfectly with my Live Gamertag. Finished the campaign on Normal, then installed the dedicated server for matchmaking. Already got most of the online Achievements. This should still be playable until the 1st of July, this year (2014).

Here's where I purchased the new copy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NV8F58/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and here's where I downloaded the GFWL installer from:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/pc/DownloadClient

Note: the page says Live Marketplace but it is the installer for the entire GFWL setup.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got a copy, had no problems activating it. I haven't installed the dedicated server for matchmaking though. I don't know if that would help my connection problems for multiplayer or not - I have trouble connecting to games in progress and if I am able to get in a game, its not long before I'm booted out.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The code that comes with the install disc can be used 10 times. I bought my game used and on the 4th install (using different laptops), when I tried to activate the code during install, it said I exceeded the code usage.

A nice little box popped up with an 1-800 number to call a long with a code consisting of (7) six digits numbers. I called the number, automated service, it asked for all those numbers and then gave me a new set of (7) six digits numbers to entered. Pressed enter and game registered as valid.

Servers still working, plus when you do install, you have the option to make a separate program install that allows your computer to act as a server if you choose.

• 1 month later...