Bandwidth usage

CovertDog

Since getting the Xbox one my bandwidth usage has over doubled. In the last 6 months my usage has been anywhere from 63 to 89 GB with an average of 73 GB/month. I had the One for the last 9 days of my billing cycle and in those nine days alone I used roughly 100 GB. Of those 100, 45 was for games I downloaded, but that still leaves 55 GB. So at 55 GB/ 9 days, I'm looking at 189 GB a month. That's only if I don't download games. What is it about the one that eats up bandwidth?

I don't see how it would be the Xbox One unless you are downloading tons of data. Bandwidth usage just for things like online gaming is relatively small. Do you stream videos through apps?

Also, your usage is tiny compared to mine. Since August 1, 2013 to today, I've used 773GB.

Just played on it really. Battlefield mainly. I think I have spent maybe an hour watching Netflix and watching some clips on UPload. Because of this Im going to have to up my Internet package to 250GB plan, which will be an extra $70/month. Last month I got dinged for $46 overage costs. In the first 4 days of this billing cycle, I have already used 23GB.

Just played on it really. Battlefield mainly. I think I have spent maybe an hour watching Netflix and watching some clips on UPload. Because of this Im going to have to up my Internet package to 250GB plan, which will be an extra $70/month. Last month I got dinged for $46 overage costs. In the first 4 days of this billing cycle, I have already used 23GB.

I can't think of what it would be other than downloading games or streaming video content. Normal online play doesn't use GBs of data.

Wow glad I don't live wherever they charge $70 extra to go to 250GB.. I have AVERAGED 350GB per month over the last 18 months and I am only home about 2/3 of the month. My kids and wife all stream Netflix/Hulu/Youtube/Vudu all the time however. I haven't seen any huge bandwidth jumps since I got the One however. Went thru a small jump when I first got it and installed all the patches/apps/games but I haven't seen any large jumps from it just "sitting"

Since getting the Xbox one my bandwidth usage has over doubled. In the last 6 months my usage has been anywhere from 63 to 89 GB with an average of 73 GB/month. I had the One for the last 9 days of my billing cycle and in those nine days alone I used roughly 100 GB. Of those 100, 45 was for games I downloaded, but that still leaves 55 GB. So at 55 GB/ 9 days, I'm looking at 189 GB a month. That's only if I don't download games. What is it about the one that eats up bandwidth?

Playing BF4 for an hour is less than 50MB of usage ... so playing it 24/7 for 9 days would still be less than 11GB of usage.

Something else is OBVIOUSLY going on that you're using that much bandwidth. You actually use more bandwidth watching an hour of YouTube videos at 480p than you do playing an online video game with full voice chat for the same amount of time.

And just for reference, I played my Xbox One today for about 6 hours and used 332MB of bandwidth so far today with about 2 hours of Facebook / Battlelog usage too. I really doubt it's the Xbox One.

I said this in another thread on here. When you put a disk in for the first time on the dashboard there will be two tiles that show the game. If you click the left tile it downloads the game from the internet and if you click the tile on the right it downloads the game from the disk after downloading any updates. I ran this scenario myself by uninstalling the game and downloading clicking the left tile. Took more then 3 hours to download. I uninstalled it again and downloaded it from the right tile' took about 45ish minutes. Both times are for the full game install. If you did that with two games by clicking the left tile you can see the huge amount of usage when games are 30 to 40 gigs each

I said this in another thread on here. When you put a disk in for the first time on the dashboard there will be two tiles that show the game. If you click the left tile it downloads the game from the internet and if you click the tile on the right it downloads the game from the disk after downloading any updates. I ran this scenario myself by uninstalling the game and downloading clicking the left tile. Took more then 3 hours to download. I uninstalled it again and downloaded it from the right tile' took about 45ish minutes. Both times are for the full game install. If you did that with two games by clicking the left tile you can see the huge amount of usage when games are 30 to 40 gigs each

I've never seen anyone else report this. And I never click a tile to install a game. It automatically installs when I insert the disc. I highly, highly doubt clicking a specific tile would install the DISC data from the Internet. There is no reason for that to happen and it makes absolutely no sense.

Actually good tip to know, I just have auto-play disc so when I put in a new game it installs from the disc which I guess has been helpful!

Change your wifi password. It could just be a coincidence that you've been using more data since you got your Xbox One and one of your neighbors is stealing your wifi for his own needs. Other than that make sure you fully turn it off and don't just put it in low power mode.

Any chance you can change internet providers? I've never heard of an ISP having a data limit, except for data plans for cell phones.

An extra $70 a month! How much is it normally?

I get unlimited for about £40 a month. Glad I don't live where you do.

In Canada we get ripped off with internet, I can't think of any provider that offers unlimited data, those that off 300gb caps run around 1mb/s download speed. We have 2 main providers in Ontario, Rogers and Bell, both are identical where if you want a high amount of data (250-300gb) you pay about $120-$140 a month.

OT: I haven't noticed a huge jump in bandwidth usage, in fact I've noticed my download speeds on the xbox one are about 7x faster than the 360.

In Canada we get ripped off with internet, I can't think of any provider that offers unlimited data, those that off 300gb caps run around 1mb/s download speed. We have 2 main providers in Ontario, Rogers and Bell, both are identical where if you want a high amount of data (250-300gb) you pay about $120-$140 a month.

OT: I haven't noticed a huge jump in bandwidth usage, in fact I've noticed my download speeds on the xbox one are about 7x faster than the 360.

$120-$140 seems steep unless it is that different across the country or maybe just the provider? I am in Alberta and it's about $60 for 25mb/s download speed with a cap of 250GB(I have gone over this limit in the last 3 months and haven't seem them charge me for it, but I am waiting for when they do).. Sucks because we used to have unlimited data, but I think Bell is the reason companies started putting a cap if I am not mistaken :S

$120-$140 seems steep unless it is that different across the country or maybe just the provider? I am in Alberta and it's about $60 for 25mb/s download speed with a cap of 250GB(I have gone over this limit in the last 3 months and haven't seem them charge me for it, but I am waiting for when they do).. Sucks because we used to have unlimited data, but I think Bell is the reason companies started putting a cap if I am not mistaken :S

Some companies don't charge extra if you go over the limit, they just throttle the connection to slow it down to dial up speeds.

They do that here in America with some cell phone companies. One of my friends has T-Mobile and once he hits his data limit they throttle it to make it so slow that he doesn't even bother using it.