Yakuza done! What a fantastic game that was. It's such a traditional JRPG in terms of the gameplay, but the story was so wacky and I loved how all the characters and enemies are essentially street brawling but because of how the main character sees the world they are doing magic and turn into weird enemies and such. The final dungeon was quite a challenge, but just took a little extra bit of grinding to overcome.

I quickly did a brand new game called WeakWood Throne after that. Bite-sized little RPG that only took 2-3 hours. I have started up the Windows version of Final Fantasy 8 since that will likely be leaving Game Pass in the next month or so. I also started a game I bought ages ago called Regions of Ruin which is a really fun little Town Management/RPG hybrid.

I hope to be done with both of those by early next week and then I will be diving into Tales of Arise!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 1:41 PM, Dirty130 said:

Think you'll give the Alan Wake remaster a go? I noticed you never played the original so I'm guessing not? Shame. It's a fantastic game.

Just saw this! Probably not tbh. 1) I almost strictly play RPGs at this point in my life lol, and 2) if it's not an RPG, it better be on Game Pass if you want me to even consider it. :p

I finished up Tales of Arise over the weekend. What a fantastic game! Glad the series is back on Xbox. I think in a lot of ways it was better than Tales of Vesperia (much better combat, quests were better, simplified and no missables) but in a lot of ways it was a little TOO dumbed down (very few enemy models - just color swapped for each new area, very linear). I probably like Vesperia a bit more overall, but this was really worth the money. I immediately started the Xbox One version after completing the Series X|S version. :D

• Like 1

Hey man, time is time and time is also money. :p

Game Pass has nearly covered all my interests for a long time now, so I barely spend outside of that. I still need to do Cris Tales, Astria Ascending comes out tomorrow, haven't started Hades, DQ Builders... the list goes on.

• Like 1

Finished up the Xbox One stack for Tales of Arise. Then they go ahead and announce Vesperia is leaving Game Pass in two weeks, so I'm going to finish up the Windows stack of that. I had already done Playthrough 1, just need to spend maybe another hour grinding grade shop points before I do the NG+ speed run and finish the titles/collector book/arena. Then the low level run to kill the first boss to finish up. Shouldn't have a problem doing all that in a week.

Since that is on my computer and I generally stream my console to a tablet on my lunch breaks at work I'll also be starting up Scarlet Nexus since that just hit Game Pass. :)

15 hours ago, Dirty130 said:

I saw you on Back 4 Blood for moment. What were your initial thoughts? Going to keep playing or move on?

I really liked it!

My two best friends IRL that I try to game with semi-regularly are not in the best shape to align schedules since two of us have multiple kids and one has terminal brain cancer lol (that isn't funny obviously but we all use humor to cope with it). He also lives in California while the dads live in Michigan so it's tough. We try to get together once a week but failed this week which is why I only played the one time so far. Definitely plan to do more though!

• Like 1

Speak of the devil, our stars aligned and we got to play last night! Finished up Act 1 and played about four games of Swarm which was pretty cool. I think they need to design levels like L4D had where there's a clear objective for the survivors rather than just "run around as long as possible" - seems like they could just adapt the actual game levels? Would be much more fun to win the game by getting in the safe room versus just staying alive longer.

Just one achievement left in Scarlet Nexus on the solo front, probably about two hours of level grinding before I'll be done. Might start a quicker Game Pass title next like Echo Generation or Cris Tales. :)

Edited by The Pants Party

Finished up Scarlet Nexus. That game was much more flash over substance, but it wasn't bad by any means. Glad I got to do it on Game Pass instead of buying it though. Guide is up, ~50 hours, no missables.

Finished and started Echo Generation over this past weekend, which was really good. Loved the story, the voxel art was good even though that's not my favorite style, but the combat was a little disappointing - similar to South Park and Super Mario RPG, but the inputs weren't very tight and some moved too quickly. Highly recommended though, also on Game Pass! Guide is up for that as well, ~8-10 hours, lots of missables but there's a walkthrough video by Achievement Land you can follow.

This week I've been blasting through The Ascent now that it's finally all patched achievement-wise. I really enjoy the aesthetic of it, though the Gameplay is very generic (just Diablo with guns). I like the whole cyberpunk setting, story and color scheme though, another I'd definitely recommend!  Guide is up for that too! This one's ~12-15 hours, no missables. And of course yet another on Game Pass. :)

FF8 is leaving Game Pass on the 15th, so I need to finish up the PC version of that before it goes. I think I left off toward the end of Disc 1, so I've got a decent amount left, but shouldn't have any issues completing it in time.

Had a couple good weeks since my last post. I did indeed finish up FF8 on Windows before it leaves Game Pass today. I also went back and wrote a guide for it. I remember when I did the Xbox version someone else was working on it, but they abandoned it. That's up now right here.

I also did the second episode of Light Fairytale, which continues to be a cute little RPG series. Not much to each episode, but if you love old-school RPGs with turn-based combat, each one at $8 when they release is a solid buy. Guide for that here.

I started Hades intending on going for the completion, then realized TA doesn't have it in RPG... I put in a disagreement, so we'll see what they say. I really enjoyed the first hour too, so I'll definitely play it for fun either way, but want to see where they land before I get too invested.

Currently working on the "new" Borderlands game that shadow dropped last week, which is just a standalone version of the Tiny Tina D&D DLC from Borderlands 2. It's unnecessarily grindy, as you have to get to Level 35 and your first playthrough caps at 17, and you need to complete all the skill-related achievements for all six characters, two of which require Level 10 or 15 so there's a bit of grinding. I'll submit that guide today or tomorrow probably. :)

On 10/27/2021 at 11:25 PM, The Pants Party said:

Speak of the devil, our stars aligned and we got to play last night! Finished up Act 1 and played about four games of Swarm which was pretty cool. I think they need to design levels like L4D had where there's a clear objective for the survivors rather than just "run around as long as possible" - seems like they could just adapt the actual game levels? Would be much more fun to win the game by getting in the safe room versus just staying alive longer.

Swarm mode isn't much fun for long due to the design but if they made it like L4D as you say, the runner builds would leave the human controlled Mutations tripping over themselves to catch up. I was a bit disappointed that there were no achievements for crushing a puked on survivor, etc, like the L4D games had, so the mode was even more short lived for me.

The campaign on the other hand, I played a lot. I think every day except two since release until I finally beat its ass and I loved the card and deck building aspects!  Thankfully, the recent patch cleared up that issue with huge hordes of Mutations spawning so it's debatably easier to complete now. 

I finished up Act 2 in B4B last week and then Halo came out and we played that this week instead. I'm hoping we don't get tunnel vision and go back to finish it up, because that was good fun.

However, Halo is some damn good fun too! I haven't enjoyed a Halo MP since Reach, but this feels like the old days with a few modern amenities. Really nice.

On the RPG front, working through the Tiny Tina game slowly as they added a huge grind in it to hit max level, and will do the Outriders title update as well but I need to grind some there as well since I never boosted the challenge rank for Expeditions when I did the base game.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone. :)

Been a long time since I posted! Last time I was working on Tiny Tina, naturally got that done. Also did the Outriders update to re-complete that, as well as the Dauntless update to re-complete that one as well. Took a day off work and powered through a game called Drawngeon which has a very old-school RPG mechanic, and the art style is literally as if someone drew it on paper in school - kind of a cool idea, but not a great game in the end - however, it's one of the "add Gamerscore to sell more copies" games, and has 3000G on offer, so for only like five hours why not?

Most recently I started and finished the Windows 10 version of Cris Tales on Game Pass, and am currently working through the Xbox version as well. The main selling point of that, the time manipulation powers, is cool in exploring the world but kind of useless in battle unfortunately. Very beautiful and a decent story though, so a fun game in the end.

Also been playing a ton of Halo MP, which feels fantastic. Stuck at Diamond 1 rank unfortunately, seems like I should be higher but my one friend is like mid-Plat which doesn't help in winning games. The ranking system also seems to rely way too heavily on K/D vs playing the objective, which is usually my job in our squad. Tend to die a bit more when you're always holding the ball/flag. Gonna hold off on the campaign until the co-op is added, but I'm really glad the game has been so well received!

Once I finish the Crist Tales stack, I might do the FF12 stack on Windows, since I think that will be leaving Game Pass in February.