GFWL Shutdown

Aaron Norris 12

The entire GFWL service will shut down in July. You will not be able to earn achievements in any GFWL title after that.

It's a rumor.

The July 1st date refers to AoE Online, which is the only title that is confirmed to be shutting down on that day.

As part of the recent Xbox 360 system update, Microsoft Points will be retired and the Xbox.com PC Marketplace will be closed as of August 25, 2013. We encourage you to spend your Microsoft Points balance prior to this change. Although you will not be able to purchase new games, you can continue to enjoy previously purchased content by downloading it through the Games for Windows Live client software as usual.

As part of the recent Xbox 360 system update, Microsoft Points will be retired and the Xbox.com PC Marketplace will be closed as of August 25, 2013. We encourage you to spend your Microsoft Points balance prior to this change. Although you will not be able to purchase new games, you can continue to enjoy previously purchased content by downloading it through the Games for Windows Live client software as usual.

Thanks? That has nothing to do with when the actual service will stop functioning. There are games at retail and games through Steam that still have GFWL functionality, and that you can still earn Gamerscore with. However, supposedly this functionality will end on July 1st. That is what he's asking about.

Thanks? That has nothing to do with when the actual service will stop functioning. There are games at retail and games through Steam that still have GFWL functionality, and that you can still earn Gamerscore with. However, supposedly this functionality will end on July 1st. That is what he's asking about.

Again, the July 1st date refers only to AoE Online.

There is no other title associated with the 7/1 date, and the service isn't either except by rumors and those rumors being spread as if they were fact.

Again, the July 1st date refers only to AoE Online.

There is no other title associated with the 7/1 date, and the service isn't either except by rumors and those rumors being spread as if they were fact.

MS themselves listed that date as the shutdown date for GFWL services (On AoE's support page). They quickly took the announcement off the site (perhaps it was an error) but it's not like people are just making this stuff up.

This whole thing is reminiscent to me of when they were supposedly going to shutdown the servers for Halo 2 PC. They announced it way before hand, and then when it arrived they said the servers were temporarily extended, and that was almost 9 months ago now. I think they will keep GFWL alive for at least a little while longer until it truly is dead and gone (probably in a couple more years) and then they can kill it without anyone noticing.

This whole thing is reminiscent to me of when they were supposedly going to shutdown the servers for Halo 2 PC. They announced it way before hand, and then when it arrived they said the servers were temporarily extended, and that was almost 9 months ago now. I think they will keep GFWL alive for at least a little while longer until it truly is dead and gone (probably in a couple more years) and then they can kill it without anyone noticing.

I'm thinking that the backend MS servers for GFWL cost very little to maintain since they are most likely integrated into the same servers as Xbox stuff for XBL.

I'm thinking that the backend MS servers for GFWL cost very little to maintain since they are most likely integrated into the same servers as Xbox stuff for XBL.

This is how I see it, I can imagine Marketplace going down since MS don't want to maintain it but I can't imagine why earning achievements and such should just stop working.

Does make you wonder if the Devs just read online like the rest of us or they have confirmed with MS since we have had various titles remove GFWL.

This is how I see it, I can imagine Marketplace going down since MS don't want to maintain it but I can't imagine why earning achievements and such should just stop working.

Does make you wonder if the Devs just read online like the rest of us or they have confirmed with MS since we have had various titles remove GFWL.

It's not really that they removed GFWL per se, it's that they created versions of the games that use Steamworks instead of GFWL.

Disc copies of all the games still use GFWL.

• 2 weeks later...

If GFWL will shut down for good I will miss it. Sure the service could have been better and there should have been a lot more games in the catalogue. Having said that I personally never had a problem with the service and it was nice to be able to earn achievements through the PC as well as the console.

I really hoped that they would revamp the service at some point and not close it down entirely. Sad times. :(

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...