GFWL Shutdown

Aaron Norris 12

Exactly. That's why I decry the lies about July 1st at every opportunity. (in addition to the 7/1 date referring to only AoE Online)

I'm thinking that the GFWL servers are the same as the XBL servers, especially with the cross platform games.

• 2 weeks later...
You neglected "currently seeking avenues to continue support and ensure the functionality of Dark Souls on other services".

Again, hoping the service doesn't go down but MS hasn't given a official statement.

I did... but it does not surprise me a game like Dark Souls would want to drop GFWL in the future, I have no doubt the service is getting no more support and with the Marketplace side already dropped it makes sense for a developer to move to a game to Steamworks, especially something like Dark Souls since Dark Souls 2 on PC does not use GFWL.

I don't know if I've said this before but I feel GFWL is very much connected with the 360 LIVE system due to games like Shadowrun working cross-platform Multiplayer, I can't imagine they can just turn off the GFWL side.

I mean various games have not done/said anything related to the apparent "shutdown" I mean what would happen to Fable 3 a Microsoft title!? also Rockstar have said nothing about GTA IV? Yet when GameSpy got shutdown they where sure to say online play would not be affected.

I guess we will see what happens next month, I imagine nothing but I still feel I should force myself to play some GFWL titles just in case but I still can't be assed, if it shutdowns and I can't go and get some achievements then Oh Well.

would it kill them to actually keep the servers up?...the population of every GFWL title combined would probably make next to-0 impact. Dark Souls is probably the busiest

By that logic what reason would they have in spending the money for maintaining the servers if the population is that low? It's the same reason why EA shuts down the servers for Madden after a year or 2.

By that logic what reason would they have in spending the money for maintaining the servers if the population is that low? It's the same reason why EA shuts down the servers for Madden after a year or 2.
Well, that's actually to force people to buy the newest game.

Most their games only last a year now and plenty of people would still be playing the one year old game and not buy the new one if servers stayed up.

I've read the thread, and i can't see any conclusion reached.

Will, let's say for example, dawn of war 2 still function correctly in one months time?

I've been looking on the Internet for any news, and all I found was an announcement about Dark Souls:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/20/bandai-namco-plans-to-continue-dark-souls-support-after-gfwl-shutdown

So, it looks like this game will continue to support GFWL for a little while. I have no idea about any other games.

I don't believe that the service will shut down, at least not next month.

The source that suggested it was going to shut down was almost immediately removed and no new updates have been offered to corroborate the service will be shut down, other than the rumor mill.

Having said that, I'm still getting all my GFWL games completed and (unfortunately) having to use the cheat for Fallout 3 (I have been waiting until I had a decent spec. PC to play it). I'd rather get it done and not worry about it than be caught with my pants down.

Matt

So yesterday Game Informer published an article where they asked Microsoft about the shutdowns and got this reply:

We are continuing to support the Games for Windows Live service. As previously announced, as part of the retirement of Microsoft Points the Xbox.com PC marketplace was closed. Although customers are unable to purchase new games from the marketplace or receive title updates, they can continue to enjoy previously purchased content by downloading them through the Games for Windows Live client as usual. We remain committed to investing in PC gaming in the years ahead, and look forward to sharing more in the future.

Take of it what you will. Personally, I don't see how they can say that they are continuing to support it while more and more games are converting from GWL to Steamworks.

Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/19/games-for-windows-live-exodus-continues.aspx?

So yesterday Game Informer published an article where they asked Microsoft about the shutdowns and got this reply:

Take of it what you will. Personally, I don't see how they can say that they are continuing to support it while more and more games are converting from GWL to Steamworks.

Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/19/games-for-windows-live-exodus-continues.aspx?

The fact that some games are being converted to Steam doesn't really say anything about Microsoft since it's the developers doing it. Since the July 1 date started floating around people have been crying that their games won't work any more, and so select developers have made arrangements so that won't be the case.

Microsoft has been silent on the matter, and while the marketplace shut down did creep up on us without much warning, the fact of the matter is that July 1 is only 10 days away and I don't think Microsoft is going to just shut down the service without any advance notice.

I think its more along the lines of GFWL is just not going to change, when they say continue to support I assume that just means it will stay online, people always seemed to have hate towards GFWL for whatever reason I never had any problems but that along with the marketplace shutdown and no more improvements to the "platform" has most likely made Devs make the transition to Steamworks.

If you look at some of the titles that removed GFWL like Batman, Dawn of War 2 (Incoming), Dark Souls (Sooner or Later) its most likely to keep the games using the same systems, I mean Arkham Origins went Steamworks, Dawn of War: Retribution and even Dark Souls 2.

I imagine it keeps the fan base happy if for whatever reason they picked up a later game in the series and decided to go back that it all uses the same systems instead of having to setup a LIVE account.

• 4 months later...

Yea except EA kills servers for everything not just sports titles that become obsolete in a year or two. EA is the damn devil....they suck. which is unfortunate as some of their games are quality enjoyment.