boss soul weapons are weak

Suki

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so got around 13 of the boss souls and went to the guy that does the boss soul weapons in the cell after u unpetrify him and only took the dragon bow the rest seemed really crappy compared with the fire longsword +10 that i had it, i thought you would get some real badass boss soul weapons just a tad disapointed.

The Defender Greatsword disagrees with you. :p

It is fantastic for a faith/strength build. And it has it's own built-in buff! It's not as powerful as Sunlight Blade but it's still a nice buff.

What is also interesting about most of the boss weapons is that their base stats are often awful but when you upgrade them they go up MUCH faster than regular weapons do. So the gains they get per level are often better than a normal weapon going up 3-4 levels.

The Pursuers greatsword had worse stats to start with than a bunch of easy to find equivalents but, at max level, is much better. Same goes for the King's Greatsword - though that one weighs so much and is pretty slow at attacking too.

The problem, obviously, is actually getting enough of the crafting materials to be able to max out a bunch of stuff and see which is best and works for you.

What is also interesting about most of the boss weapons is that their base stats are often awful but when you upgrade them they go up MUCH faster than regular weapons do. So the gains they get per level are often better than a normal weapon going up 3-4 levels.

The Pursuers greatsword had worse stats to start with than a bunch of easy to find equivalents but, at max level, is much better. Same goes for the King's Greatsword - though that one weighs so much and is pretty slow at attacking too.

The problem, obviously, is actually getting enough of the crafting materials to be able to max out a bunch of stuff and see which is best and works for you.

The cool thing about the Curved Dragon Greatsword is it gains nearly 50 damage or so per upgrade. I actually don't remember the true amount but it's huge. And, the cool thing is it gains damage when infused; when infused, it only loses 6-7 physical damage and one scaling grade, but gains 160-something lightning damage. It's insane. Better than the Black Knight Halberd +5, which puts out 450 total damage.

The Moonlight Greatsword is great for INT builds. But you can't get it until NG+.

Used the soul for the spell. I should have been more specific. There is nothing for an INT caster. There is a nice chime, so would have been nice to see a shield or staff geared towards an INT caster. An S18 D18 WT8 greatsword is not really a caster item (at least not for me), even it it has an A rating for INT.

Edit: ATM SL111 in NG+ in Drangleic Castle playing mostly offline. Using +10 magic Longsword, Mace & Shortbow, +5 Staff of Wisdom and +5 King's Shield. So far so good, but will probably have to raise stats a bit for some weapons with a bit more umph for NG++. Winged spear, Manslayer and compound bow all need 18dex. All would give me a bit more damage and reach without having to level up much.

Edited by J4ckyb0y1

The cool thing about the Curved Dragon Greatsword is it gains nearly 50 damage or so per upgrade. I actually don't remember the true amount but it's huge. And, the cool thing is it gains damage when infused; when infused, it only loses 6-7 physical damage and one scaling grade, but gains 160-something lightning damage. It's insane. Better than the Black Knight Halberd +5, which puts out 450 total damage.

I discovered that last night too. It's been a HUGE help so far in my NG+ playthrough.

I'm just about to pick up the Curved Dragon Greatsword myself. What do you guys recommend regarding upgrades? Should I go for a straight +10 or go with an infuse (and which one?) Thanks.

Why not both? I got it up to +10 then put Lightning on it. I only went with lightning since I'm an INT build. So I already have massive magic damage from my sorcery. I also have a maxed out pyromancy flame and 3 stacks of Flame Swathe. So I wanted something "shocking" for enemies weak to that since I have no interest in pumping Faith on this build.

The great thing about the infusion system in this game is that you can have a maxed out unique weapon, with an elemental infusion on it, and you can still buff it. So with that sword I can still apply Crystal Magic Weapon. It's a devastating combo. :)

Used the soul for the spell. I should have been more specific. There is nothing for an INT caster. There is a nice chime, so would have been nice to see a shield or staff geared towards an INT caster. An S18 D18 WT8 greatsword is not really a caster item (at least not for me), even it it has an A rating for INT.

Edit: ATM SL111 in NG+ in Drangleic Castle playing mostly offline. Using +10 magic Longsword, Mace & Shortbow, +5 Staff of Wisdom and +5 King's Shield. So far so good, but will probably have to raise stats a bit for some weapons with a bit more umph for NG++. Winged spear, Manslayer and compound bow all need 18dex. All would give me a bit more damage and reach without having to level up much.

That's true. Having a powerful staff would have been nice.

Why not both? I got it up to +10 then put Lightning on it. I only went with lightning since I'm an INT build. So I already have massive magic damage from my sorcery. I also have a maxed out pyromancy flame and 3 stacks of Flame Swathe. So I wanted something "shocking" for enemies weak to that since I have no interest in pumping Faith on this build.

The great thing about the infusion system in this game is that you can have a maxed out unique weapon, with an elemental infusion on it, and you can still buff it. So with that sword I can still apply Crystal Magic Weapon. It's a devastating combo. :)

I only put Lightning on because in all honesty everything was weak to it in the first game. But, I have very low INT, so its buff isn't as good as it could be. Still awesome that infusing it is all benefit and no drawback, and I love to buff it with Flame Weapon pyromancy.

I have high levels for every skill except INT. Are there specific buffs that I can power up without leveling INT?

Well i stand corrected, i will go back and get the curved dragon greatsword and ditch my fire longsword +10 i have had it a long time although it does break quite quickly, thx for all the advise.

Edit: been to both Ornifex and Striad neither selling the Curved Dragon Sword what am i missing, also who will infuse weapons for you i must be missing a smithy somewhere.

Edited by Suki

Well i stand corrected, i will go back and get the curved dragon greatsword and ditch my fire longsword +10 i have had it a long time although it does break quite quickly, thx for all the advise.

Edit: been to both Ornifex and Striad neither selling the Curved Dragon Sword what am i missing, also who will infuse weapons for you i must be missing a smithy somewhere.

You need the ancient dragon's soul to get the curved dragon sword. Ornifex trades it.

McDuff does infusion, have you given him the ember from Iron Keep yet?

I only put Lightning on because in all honesty everything was weak to it in the first game. But, I have very low INT, so its buff isn't as good as it could be. Still awesome that infusing it is all benefit and no drawback, and I love to buff it with Flame Weapon pyromancy.

I have high levels for every skill except INT. Are there specific buffs that I can power up without leveling INT?

Good buffs that don't require intelligence are Flame Weapon (like you mentioned) and Sunlight Blade. Since you're a Faith build, I assume you're already using that one.

The other buffs from spells are Magic Weapon, Great Magic Weapon, and Crystal Magic Weapon. There's also 2 hexes that add Dark damage to your blade. And you can use resins to add poison, fire, lightning, and dark.

That's all the buffs I can think of right now. I don't think I missed any.

Good buffs that don't require intelligence are Flame Weapon (like you mentioned) and Sunlight Blade. Since you're a Faith build, I assume you're already using that one.

The other buffs from spells are Magic Weapon, Great Magic Weapon, and Crystal Magic Weapon. There's also 2 hexes that add Dark damage to your blade. And you can use resins to add poison, fire, lightning, and dark.

That's all the buffs I can think of right now. I don't think I missed any.

Flame weapon it is. You see, I'm not a Faith build - I only have 33 Faith. It just happens to be high enough to use reduced-FTH Great Lightning Spears. I have at least 25 points in everything else, and mainly use melee. All other buffs require INT so they're out.

From what I've seen Sunlight Blade isn't any better than Flame Weapon in terms of damage. Thing is, though, FW has 4 uses.

Flame weapon it is. You see, I'm not a Faith build - I only have 33 Faith. It just happens to be high enough to use reduced-FTH Great Lightning Spears. I have at least 25 points in everything else, and mainly use melee. All other buffs require INT so they're out.

From what I've seen Sunlight Blade isn't any better than Flame Weapon in terms of damage. Thing is, though, FW has 4 uses.

My mistake. I thought I saw you post you had high Faith before. In that case you're right Flame Weapon would be much better. Especially with a fully leveled flame. And the extra uses are definitely a nice perk. :)

There's a way to undo it, right?

Yeah. Go back to McDuff, and infuse it with a Palestone. I'd keep the weapon as is, no infusion if I were you. Well... I'd really have to see the effects of the various infusions to be sure. But Raw is the worst infusion possible on a weapon like that. Second is the Mundane infusion.

Yeah. Go back to McDuff, and infuse it with a Palestone. I'd keep the weapon as is, no infusion if I were you. Well... I'd really have to see the effects of the various infusions to be sure. But Raw is the worst infusion possible on a weapon like that. Second is the Mundane infusion.

I'd assume raw infusion works best on katana's? I could be completely off though.

I'd assume raw infusion works best on katana's? I could be completely off though.

No no no no.

Katanas take HUGE damage boosts from scaling. Mostly on Dex. Hell, if you made a Blacksteel Katana raw, it'd be nigh useless.

You see, the grade below each stat depicts how much extra damage the weapon does for having high amounts of that stat. E being the worst, S being the best (D-A). Raw makes the physical damage higher but completely kills the scaling. For example, the Blacksteel Katana has an S grade in Dexterity; it deals hella more damage with high Dexterity, but has little physical damage itself. Making it raw would remove that scaling to D or E, which is horrible.

What you want to do is find weapons that don't have scaling; the Demon Great Hammer comes to mind. Since it has no grades for any stat, making it raw gives it more damage without any drawbacks.