How Scary Is It?

Darth VeX

Alien: Isolation looks great visually, but I'm still worried that the game will be a linear haunted house ride with no replay value. Some gameplay they've shown us above is similar to what they showed us back in January.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbv9rs9bVOE]Alien: Isolation Gameplay Commentary - YouTube[/ame]

Hopefully the xenomorph AI is dynamic. I'd like to see more open areas as well, and hopefully there's multiple paths to take around the station (like maybe there's more than one way to get beyond that bulk door besides using a blowtorch on it).

• 4 weeks later...
Eh, it's IGN. Will wait to see PewDiePie play it. At least you know it would be more genuine than this.

Did you just use PewDiePie and genuine in the same sentence?

*runs to window to look for flying pigs*

Technically, it was two sentences... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't use the word genuine when talking about PewDiePie but that doesn't mean he isn't fun to watch or good at what he does. A little annoying... YES. IGN's video of the staff playing this game was AMAZING and made the game look REALLY good and scary. I will definitely be picking this up. Reminds me of a game I used to play called RLH: Run Like Hell

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/4865/852875-563567_front.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's my setup:

Audio Technica ATH-M50 studio monitor headphones

Astro Mixamp Pro (simulated surround sound)

Turning the volume almost midway on the mixamp with the lights turned off/playing at night and I'm jumping at noises left and right. This game is super intense and don't let others deter you from getting it. The hype is real.

spoiler-ish I guess?

I just started playing and that part at the end of chapter 2 waiting for the tram...holy shit

Edit: I just learned you could die there, I thought it was just the devs trying to tense you up for nothing. The music was going for me and getting more intense and I never saw anything, then a friend told me that was his first death. I love this game :)

Edited by Quid Squid

From what GameSpot said, the xenomorph's AI is unscripted and it doesn't act the same way twice. Hopefully they're right, because this would make achievement mop-up a bit more exciting.

Ya it's definitely VERY random. The first time I attempted the mission where you shouldn't die to the alien to get an achievement, I must have died 20 times. I get frustrated and head to bed. Next day I played some more from the same checkpoint and I didn't see him at all until the last stretch of the mission.

In Chapter three I think there's a room you need to enter by rewiring a panel. There's an ID tag in there and some spooky music. I won't spoil anything but I'll just say try to do everything in the room. I had no idea that anything would happen and was actually scared enough that my heart sank.

I thought it couldn't be done. I haven't been scared by a game since I was a kid and I expected this game just to be general jump scares. I am extremely happy with it so far. And I actually did die at that tram bit at chapter 2. That part was extremely unnerving too.

In Chapter three I think there's a room you need to enter by rewiring a panel. There's an ID tag in there and some spooky music. I won't spoil anything but I'll just say try to do everything in the room. I had no idea that anything would happen and was actually scared enough that my heart sank.

I thought it couldn't be done. I haven't been scared by a game since I was a kid and I expected this game just to be general jump scares. I am extremely happy with it so far. And I actually did die at that tram bit at chapter 2. That part was extremely unnerving too.

Dude - bought it Friday and said "I'll clear as much as I can on the weekend"

Played from about 10pm til 3am getting to just seeing the xeno but not really encountering...went to sleep(ish)

I actually had to build up courage to play the next day. I wound up playing mostly Destiny and when jumping back on, what should've been a maybe 6 or so minute walk around a corridor to get a pass code and keycard took 45 minutes bc I kept accidentally hitting something with my wrench or running/accessing a door and that little "warning blip" to check your motion detector sent my muscles into convulsions hahaha. The atmosphere is SOoOOooooOoo spot on!

I actually didn't wind up dying until the encounter with the androids in chapter 2. I was and sneaky up until that point :( Fuckers pulled me right out of the locker! I didn't back up