New to the game.

yonatan555

Greetings all, I just started playing this via the GwG and find it a lot of fun; I was wondering if someone could give me few tips as I don"t know the basics of the game. Things such as what are "souls" used for besides leveling up. I spent the better part of an hour or so trying to kill everything with the sword hilt because when i went to equip the shield and sword i picked up i didn't know how. I started as a warrior class if that's relevant.

Greetings all, I just started playing this via the GwG and find it a lot of fun; I was wondering if someone could give me few tips as I don"t know the basics of the game. Things such as what are "souls" used for besides leveling up. I spent the better part of an hour or so trying to kill everything with the sword hilt because when i went to equip the shield and sword i picked up i didn't know how. I started as a warrior class if that's relevant.

Im in the same boat as you bud, all tips and tricks would be grateful.

I've completed the game and done several full playthroughs with various builds and weapons. I'll ramble through some basic advice.

Starting class is really just a basic template that only affects the beginning of the game, As you level up, each class can do everything that other classes can do.

Warrior is a good starting class. Your focus will be melee combat, which I think is best for your first playthrough.

Be sure to take the Master Key as your gift as it will let you unlock some doors much earlier than otherwise possible.

Early on, I suggest leveling up whenever you can afford it as to not risk losing a bunch of souls.

For stats, focus on Vitality, Endurance, Strength, and Dexterity.

Vitalitity increases your max health.

Endurance increases your max stamina and equipment burden.

-Stamina is the green meter that controls how many actions you can do and will recharge by itself. More stamina is always better IMO!

-Equip burden is VERY important. You should do whatever it takes to keep below 50% (you'll have to do the calculations yourself). Having less than 50% equip burden allows for faster movement, so it's better to have under 50% and wear no boots and gloves than to be over 50% and wear gloves and boots. Under 25% makes you even faster but it's tough to get that low.

Strength is a requirement for some weapons and increasing strength will improve damage for weapons that have strength scaling (more on this later).

Dexterity is a requirement for some weapons and increasing dexterity will improve damage for weapons that have dexterity scaling (more on this later).

I feel that the other stats are unimportant, at least for now:

Attunement is required to equip spells.

Resistance, as far as I understand, is completely worthless.

Intelligence and Faith are requirements for some weapons, Sorceries, and Miracles and increasing these stats can also make those types of magic more effective.

Use a shield. In the stats screen, stability is, IMO, the most important stat. Higher stability results in less stamina loss per block. Be sure to let your shield down when you don't need to block as stamina regens way faster when not holding up your shield.

You can two-hand any weapon by pressing Y. Do this against enemies that can't be blocked by a shield (most really big things). You'll do more damage and you can't block anyway. Toggle back to one-handing your weapon by pressing Y again.

Most weapons have damage that scales based on Str, Dex, Int, and/or Fth. WHat this means is that by increasing one of these stats, the weapon will do more damage.

The Warrior starts with a Longsword, which has "C" scaling for Str and Dex. "S" scaling is the best and it then ranges down from "A" through "E." Weapons with S and A scaling in a stat will get large damage bonuses from that stat while weapons with D and E scaling will see very little extra damage from the stat.

The weapon upgrade system is very complicated. Weapons can be "reinforced" at a blacksmith to do more damage (requiring upgrade materials such as titanite shards). Weapons can also eventually be modified to change their properties, which requires finding special embers.

Humanity is an important concept in this game. You start out undead and can "reverse hollowing" at bonfires to revert to human form. This requires humanity, which exists in two forms. Your numerical counter in the upper left corner of the screen is your humanity counter. The wiki explains this in better detail.

The wiki has tons of other good info: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/

There's also a thorough walkthrough on TA.

Edited by vSully

Well said, basically there is a lot to learn when it comes to Dark Souls. Just remember in order to summon other players to assist you, you MUST be in human form (Reverse Hollowing at a bonfire). This is why humanity is so important for most rookies.

Going to take me awhile to understand this game.

It takes a bit, on some of my later playthroughs I will still finding new things.

Any specific questions? Do you know the build you want to use? Weapon scaling and weapon upgrading comes into play a lot. You can beat the game as a Lvl1 with the right weapon/upgrades applied to it.

To me there are really only 4 builds: (Like I said to me so its my opinion).

Faith Build

Magic Build

Dex Weapons

Strength Weapons

The most important advice I can give is not to give up!! I HATED this game and almost quit playing during my first 2-3 hours. I kept at it, and it became one of my favorite games in a long time!

Other beginner advice, if after the intro you venture into a graveyard with skeletons, you went the wrong way! Don't continuously bash your head against the wall and keep trying to kill them!

Some of the best advice I can think of for Dark Souls is that armour and a shield isn't always the best option. Being under 25% equip load and rolling to avoid attacks is the best strategy for a lot of this game.

This may be difficult to achieve straight away, but like parrying and backstabs, the more you practice, the better you'll be.

Learning the timing of the parrying is definitely a challenge in itself. I have at least one of those things that increase humanity, so should i use them whenever i find them, increasing my humanity immediately? I'm carrying around small and large souls, how should they be used? I wasted my gold dust that adds electricity to my weapon, i was sure it would help me defeat the black knight, he's beaten me several times now. Should i keep fighting him or choose another path?

Learning the timing of the parrying is definitely a challenge in itself. I have at least one of those things that increase humanity, so should i use them whenever i find them, increasing my humanity immediately? I'm carrying around small and large souls, how should they be used? I wasted my gold dust that adds electricity to my weapon, i was sure it would help me defeat the black knight, he's beaten me several times now. Should i keep fighting him or choose another path?

Parrying is one of the hardest things to do in the game. I wouldn't worry about it early on.

You should only use a humanity item if you need the humanity for something- like to become human so you can summon help or to kindle a bonfire. Humanity in your counter is lost along with souls upon death so save humanity items until you need them.

Small and large souls should only be used when you need souls for something, like leveling up or buying something from a vendor. I suggest saving them until you need them.

You don't kneed to fight black knights now. Just avoid them.

Going to take me awhile to understand this game.

SOOOOO Worth It when you finally do though lol. Think of the game as "trial and error". You'll feel amazing when you figure something out or beat something that was giving you a hard time.

I've completed the game and done several full playthroughs with various builds and weapons. I'll ramble through some basic advice.

Starting class is really just a basic template that only affects the beginning of the game, As you level up, each class can do everything that other classes can do.

Warrior is a good starting class. Your focus will be melee combat, which I think is best for your first playthrough.

Be sure to take the Master Key as your gift as it will let you unlock some doors much earlier than otherwise possible.

Early on, I suggest leveling up whenever you can afford it as to not risk losing a bunch of souls.

-Stamina is the green meter that controls how many actions you can do and will recharge by itself. More stamina is always better IMO!

-Equip burden is VERY important. You should do whatever it takes to keep below 50% (you'll have to do the calculations yourself). Having less than 50% equip burden allows for faster movement, so it's better to have under 50% and wear no boots and gloves than to be over 50% and wear gloves and boots. Under 25% makes you even faster but it's tough to get that low.

Strength is a requirement for some weapons and increasing strength will improve damage for weapons that have strength scaling (more on this later).

Dexterity is a requirement for some weapons and increasing dexterity will improve damage for weapons that have dexterity scaling (more on this later).

Intelligence and Faith are requirements for some weapons, Sorceries, and Miracles and increasing these stats can also make those types of magic more effective.

Use a shield. In the stats screen, stability is, IMO, the most important stat. Higher stability results in less stamina loss per block. Be sure to let your shield down when you don't need to block as stamina regens way faster when not holding up your shield.

You can two-hand any weapon by pressing Y. Do this against enemies that can't be blocked by a shield (most really big things). You'll do more damage and you can't block anyway. Toggle back to one-handing your weapon by pressing Y again.

Most weapons have damage that scales based on Str, Dex, Int, and/or Fth. WHat this means is that by increasing one of these stats, the weapon will do more damage.

The Warrior starts with a Longsword, which has "C" scaling for Str and Dex. "S" scaling is the best and it then ranges down from "A" through "E." Weapons with S and A scaling in a stat will get large damage bonuses from that stat while weapons with D and E scaling will see very little extra damage from the stat.

The weapon upgrade system is very complicated. Weapons can be "reinforced" at a blacksmith to do more damage (requiring upgrade materials such as titanite shards). Weapons can also eventually be modified to change their properties, which requires finding special embers.

Humanity is an important concept in this game. You start out undead and can "reverse hollowing" at bonfires to revert to human form. This requires humanity, which exists in two forms. Your numerical counter in the upper left corner of the screen is your humanity counter. The wiki explains this in better detail.

A couple of fixes for this otherwise impeccable tips list:

Resistance is NOT a completely useless stat. Depending on how much you're bothered by being poisoned, Resistance will increase how much poison it takes to "Poison" you. Same applies to other status effects, like Toxic and Curse (although Curse is more affected by how much Humanity you have).

Stability is NOT the most important stat for a shield. The percentage of each damage type it blocks is. The only enemy you'll have to worry about for stability is much farther ahead in the game.

For example: http://i.imgur.com/yPMAg.jpg

Each number is the percentage of damage it blocks for each attack type. Say, if a zombie hits you with halberd (physical) then this particular shield will block 95% of the damage.

A Soul Arrow (blue bolt looking thing) blocked by this shield will only block 42% of the damage - the rest will be taken out of your health.

I would recommend finding any shield that has a 100% Physical block stat. This will carry you far, far into the game and will give you room to breathe.

As a side note, Stability only determines how much stamina it takes to block an attack - more powerful attacks take more stamina to block, and higher stability shields reduce this stamina usage. Greatshields have the most, but are very heavy (see vSully's post on Equip Load).

Parrying is one of the hardest things to do in the game. I wouldn't worry about it early on.

You should only use a humanity item if you need the humanity for something- like to become human so you can summon help or to kindle a bonfire. Humanity in your counter is lost along with souls upon death so save humanity items until you need them.

Small and large souls should only be used when you need souls for something, like leveling up or buying something from a vendor. I suggest saving them until you need them.

You don't kneed to fight black knights now. Just avoid them.

Thanks everyone for the tips, i appreciate it. Knowing myself I'm likely to keep fighting that Black Knight until I beat him, I had his health down to below half i think when I had my weapon enhanced with the gold dust but he stabbed me through a wall. Totally wasn't prepared for that :( . Other than the BK i have the boss that's near him, or venturing up from the initial bonfire where that guy is sitting. I tried going down and the enemies were way to tough.

I feel overwhelmed with all the information for Dark Souls. I'll probably do some more reading up on it before jumping in. :o

i too felt overwhelmed when i first started to play this game

my biggest piece of advice would be to go into the game fairly blind and just play

you will struggle early on but you're supposed to struggle in this game

i feel that trying to research the game too much will only add to the feeling of being overwhelmed because there is SOOOO much information about this game

you need to do more than one playthrough anyways so play your first playthrough without researching the game too much

once you get a decent understanding of how the game works, then start doing a little more research about anything you have questions about

enjoy the hell out of this game and get ready to die....alot.....seriously....:)

Edited by wexsuvslim

i too felt overwhelmed when i first started to play this game

my biggest piece of advice would be to go into the game fairly blind and just play

I remember when I first got the game based purely on 5-star Amazon reviews. I played it, didn't really care for it, then set it down for a few months. The next time I played it I got far enough to realize how the summoning for co-op and pvp worked and I fell in love with it lol.

I remember when I first got the game based purely on 5-star Amazon reviews. I played it, didn't really care for it, then set it down for a few months. The next time I played it I got far enough to realize how the summoning for co-op and pvp worked and I fell in love with it lol.

i loved the co-op in dark souls

a friend and i played countless hours together helping each other out

i loved the fact that u could play with a friend for an unlimited amount of time as long as you didn't kill the area boss

that's the one thing i didn't care for in DS2...the limited time a co-op partner would stay in your game

i loved the co-op in dark souls

a friend and i played countless hours together helping each other out

i loved the fact that u could play with a friend for an unlimited amount of time as long as you didn't kill the area boss

that's the one thing i didn't care for in DS2...the limited time a co-op partner would stay in your game

True, I do miss the name engraved ring though. Definitely spoiled us with allowing uninterrupted friend summoning.

How do you know what you’re supposed to be doing? o.o

I seem to be just wandering around aimlessly and killing things ... and getting killed ... alot ... >.>

Hopefully they patch it soon so people can start co-op. In the meantime feel to add me "Sunbro Joe" (that goes for anyone else on here as well) and I'll be happy to help once the online starts working. In the meantime I'd say just try to head in one direction over and over and eventually you reach something noteworthy.

Thank you so much for your post. I read this game is not only hard, but is one of those games that may ruin experience if played blindly. I love RPGs. Sadly, I went into Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion "blind playthrough". I regret it to this day, totally overwhelemd me. I am still yet to play it, one day I will, but not before having a guide on me like I have been doing ever since.

Edited by mag_sithlord
Forgot to include the Original message Quote