Microsoft says it isn't shutting down GFWL

Grenade44

Microsoft has formally denied it will deactivate its Games for Windows Live service for PC at the beginning of July, as had been rumored since August of last year and anticipated as developers - including a studio owned by Microsoft - stopped using it.

In a statement to Game Informer, Microsoft said "We are continuing to support the Games for Widows Live service," and "We remain committed to investing in PC gaming in the years ahead, and look forward to sharing more in the future."

Just Thursday, Twisted Pixel, the maker of Ms. Splosion Man, announced it would leave GFWL to use Valve's Steamworks for matchmaking, sharing user-created content and achievements.

In August, Microsoft said in on a support page for Age of Empires Online that Games For Windows Live would be discontinued on July 1, 2014. The post was quickly removed. Microsoft did discontinue the PC marketplace on Games for Windows Live, which it noted was part of ending Microsoft Points and switching to real currency on Xbox Live.

"Although customers are unable to purchase new games from the marketplace or receive title updates, they can continue to enjoy previously purchased content by downloading them through the Games for Windows Live client as usual," the company said to Game Informer.

Back in March, Phil Spencer the head of Microsoft's Xbox division, said Microsoft was working toward "a renewed focus on Windows and PC gaming." However, he indicated that the company wasn't looking "to go compete with what Valve has done."

He said then that "you will get a clear answer from us very soon," indicating there would be more to come in the summer. "It's just whether what we have to day is the core of what we have [in the future] and it's probably not."

Source

Game Informer

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/19/games-for-windows-live-exodus-continues.aspx

Edited by Grenade44

The way I see this whole thing now is that GFWL won't be used for any future releases meaning that the service is effectively "shutdown" while still allowing the remainder of GFWL games to still be used. Either way it's a relief since I've been putting off many of my GFWL games due to laziness and now I don't have to rush to get everything done.

The way I see this whole thing now is that GFWL won't be used for any future releases meaning that the service is effectively "shutdown" while still allowing the remainder of GFWL games to still be used. Either way it's a relief since I've been putting off many of my GFWL games due to laziness and now I don't have to rush to get everything done.

Yeh that's how I read it. Hopefully the servers stay open so we can still get are achievements. Shame I wi t get AOE done now lol.

Now I need to call Steam and see if I can get GFWL keys for any of the games which converted to Steamworks....fml

After a few converted, I ended up going through my GFWL games on there and writing all the keys down. Sadly, a few of them 'lost' the GFWL keys. Hope they have record of those keys, since I bought them for GFWL, heh.

Now I need to call Steam and see if I can get GFWL keys for any of the games which converted to Steamworks....fml

After a few converted, I ended up going through my GFWL games on there and writing all the keys down. Sadly, a few of them 'lost' the GFWL keys. Hope they have record of those keys, since I bought them for GFWL, heh.

I need to do the same, let me know if steam can tell you the keys.

If the games used the SSA (Server-Side Activation) system then assuming you logged into the game once and put in the CD-Key it is then tied to your LIVE account so should not need to re-enter?

Hopefully this is true, as long as i can finish Tinker i don't care what happens to GFWL after that ;)

True that. I only have two GFWL games, Tinker and Where's Waldo. I gave up on the Normal levels for Waldo a long time ago but always meant to go back and finish Tinker, especially with every level on Youtube.

They're not shutting it down, but they aren't doing much to support PC gaming either.

If GfWL was half as good as Xbox LIVE.....

They're totally supporting PC games, Windows 8 has Halo: SA./sarcasm

I believe the GFWL service is as good as XBL (because they're basically the same thing) it just lacks titles that use it. Although they had some stand out titles for the service unlike the Windows Phones (which are losing support, had half their games delisted) and 8 which has only two real stand out titles and has already lost like a fifth of its games due to delisting.

Great news, here's a Gamespot page for the news, check that stupids comments from Steam fan boys :

www.gamespot.com/.../1100-6420654

I never had any issues with GFWL...WTF is wrong with these people ?

I know right? I've never had a single problem with GFWL aside from the clock glitch with Gears.

True that. I only have two GFWL games, Tinker and Where's Waldo. I gave up on the Normal levels for Waldo a long time ago but always meant to go back and finish Tinker, especially with every level on Youtube.

Wow, I only have Tinker and Where's Waldo too..

Waldo glitched on me and didn't give me the achievements even though i have completed it. Just need to go back to Tinker now.. haha

I need to do the same, let me know if steam can tell you the keys.

After about a week or so of emails to them I finally got my code for Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.

Their first answer to me was to delete steam and re-install, which of course didn't help at all, then I bluntly said to them give the code I payed for and BOOM a few days later got my code :)

Edited by master_shake_350