This has to be the most narrow-minded adventure game, ever (spoilers)

I get that we're playing a little girl and I get that a lot of things are constantly going to be out of their hands but...this game feels stupidly narrow minded. Every choice in this game has the same result: you're choosing how soon a character is going to die, and the manner in which they die. Chop off an arm to try and stop infection? Nope bitch's screams cause her to get swarmed and bit. Save the stupid girl from the trailer park, and she still ends up dying. We're getting the illusion of choice, but really what we're getting is a very on-the-rails experience on the fact that traveling with Clem gets people killed. I can't even want to get attached to these guys because hell, chances are they're dead anyway.

I'm not even sitting here saying it can't be enjoyed, but it's frustrating as hell and makes your decisions pointless, and that takes me out of a game like this. It's also odd when compared to Telltale's other game, The Wolf Among Us, which actually made several choices, even the small ones, matter and gave you a reason to visit alternate paths, even if sometimes for the most part they led to the same point.

Sorry for the rant, but wanted that off my chest and I'm curious if others feel the same. At this point I'm just going through the motions to get that gamerscore and call this done.

Same here. I feel majority of any decisions you make this season don't really matter at all because everything is out of your hands from the get go. When I played as Lee I felt I had control over the group and could do anything and say anything. Now that I'm playing as Clementine you're decisions either prolongue someone's death or no one ends up listening to what you have to say and make the most idiotic decision ever.

Completely agree!!

Been really disappointed in this season of Walking Dead.

No choice matters at all. Hell, even characters reactions don't change regardless of what you choose - Kenny was mad at me in episode 4 regardless of the choice I made. What's the point? Be as well just putting my controller down and letting it automatically choose for me, it doesn't matter.

• 5 weeks later...

"The Wolf Among Us, which actually made several choices, even the small ones, matter and gave you a reason to visit alternate paths, even if sometimes for the most part they led to the same point."

Even if sometimes for the most part they led to the same point.

Uhh..

That's exactly what you're complaining about this game...

TWD is a great concept, but after two seasons of watching an interactive movie, the novelty has worn off. I still enjoyed season 2, but hope that TT will refresh the concept, and give us some real choices, not just the illusion of having a choice. And I hope that will apply to the upcoming Game of Thornes as well.

Unfortunately you can't make a game where one episode leads to another with two different areas. It may be doable but if they kept on doing it with real impactful choices by the ends there would have to be at least 4 different areas, and I'm sure people want more. Sadly this would drive the cost up for different voice actors being around for different events, a lot more development time to make everything, way bigger download files and all that jazz. I don't know if we'll ever get a game like that.

Very much agree with the OP. During the last episode I finally got fed up with the way people blame you for your decisions, whatever you chose to do. Basically it's:

Choose A --> Someone says "why the hell didn't you choose B!!"

Choose B --> Someone says "why the hell didn't you choose A!!"

I know the idea is to make the player think damn, did I make the right decision there... but the truth is, the game is NOT tailored based on what you choose. None of the choices matter, it's all a bluff. I'm done with this series...

Despite all that, season 1 was still great, and I'd dare say a classic.

I get a small(ish) developer can't do a multi area and take in every choice for the ending but there must better way than they are doing it now.

The people you end with at the end of 2 means sweet FA when they die/or never seen again in the first 10 minutes of the game! I just want some major choices to matter. I like the game still, just want the choices to matter more.

Gamers who say "its the journey not the destination... to the journey!!!1111" are apologist, fedora wearing hipsters!

I think telltale was going for the invulnerability and disempowerment feeling this time around, hence they make us a little girl. I think season 2 actually IMPROVED on season 1's choice branches. I don't remember anything from season 1 that affected the story drastically, the end result and deaths were the same for everyone. Whereas, in this *spoiler alert* you can trap that freckled ho Bonnie in the ice to die and includes multiple endings, such as choosing to kill Kenny or indirectly kill Jane. Basically, one player's playthrough can have different characters survive and end up in a different place (depending on the ending) I don't remember this in the first season.

I say this is an improvement from the first, as far as choices are concerned and it will probably be more open-ended and varied in season 3. Interested to see where Telltales will take this.

I get a small(ish) developer can't do a multi area and take in every choice for the ending but there must better way than they are doing it now.

The people you end with at the end of 2 means sweet FA when they die/or never seen again in the first 10 minutes of the game! I just want some major choices to matter. I like the game still, just want the choices to matter more.

Gamers who say "its the journey not the destination... to the journey!!!1111" are apologist, fedora wearing hipsters!

Hey, I like my fedora.

• 1 month later...

I just finished Ep. 2, and so far I'm still loving it.

It feels just like the first season in the way choices are made.

Then again, I don't really consider these games, they are interactive stories, and I love the characters and story. Even if certain choices don't end up mattering a giant amount.

Think about the first season, there were plenty of choices that didn't really matter.

Spoilers!!

Choosing to shoot that girl at the start of Ep. 3, didn't matter.

Same ep. leaving Lily by the side of the road, or keeping her in the RV, doesn't matter.

Killing Duck or the kid in the attic, instead of Kenny doing either, doesn't really matter.

Cutting off Lee's Arm or not, doesn't really matter.

Hell, even the last choice, to shoot or leave Lee doesn't really matter.

I know there has to be more, but I've gone through Season one twice, and the second time was because I lost my save, and I pretty much made the same choices, to load into Season 2.

I didn't kill the cannibals, but I havea feeling killing them wouldn't have changed much either. Same with shooting the crazy woman at the campsite, or waiting till one of the St. John's does it.

It's always been a set story, with smallish changes. Maybe it's just easier easier to spot that now? Because there are more eps?

So unless the last 3 eps of Season 2 changes this by a lot, I don't see how Season 2 is much different then the first, in the way it tells it's story. Same major choices(Like what characters to save), mixed with a lot that don't really matter or change much.

Edited by Earthbound_X

i just finished the opening part (bathroom scene and campfire) and completely agree, its not only the choices but repeatability to the character.

literally none of the choices had any impact, outside of the QTE failing and causing you to reload

this is already giving me flashbacks of Mass Effect 2 where so much hype was built up about importing your save and in the end all your save import did was decide what inconsequential cutscene you'll see as you just happen to "bump into to" him/her and then you go back to the story arc the developers wanted you to take, then they just shoehorned everyone into ME3..once again having no fucks given that you completed ME2 with everyone alive...

Completely agree!!

Been really disappointed in this season of Walking Dead.

No choice matters at all. Hell, even characters reactions don't change regardless of what you choose - Kenny was mad at me in episode 4 regardless of the choice I made. What's the point? Be as well just putting my controller down and letting it automatically choose for me, it doesn't matter.

Just got to this part, how would you expect Kenny to react?

His anger makers perfect sense, how many people have he had die that he loves by that point?

I have a feeling I'm never gonna get an answer for my first comment.

4 eps in, choices still feel the same as the first Season to me.

The first Season had a set story as well. How is that different then the set story in Season 2?

Doug or Carley will always get shot, Larry will always get his head smashed, Omid will always hurt his leg, the cancer group will always steal the boat, Ben will always fall, Lee will always get bit.

"Save the stupid girl from the trailer park, and she still ends up dying." So the same as Ben then?

"Chop off an arm to try and stop infection? Nope bitch's screams cause her to get swarmed and bit."

So the same end as when Lee did it? Cutting off his arm or not, he died too.

So tell me, how is it different?

Edited by Earthbound_X

• 1 month later...
I think telltale was going for the invulnerability and disempowerment feeling this time around, hence they make us a little girl. I think season 2 actually IMPROVED on season 1's choice branches. I don't remember anything from season 1 that affected the story drastically, the end result and deaths were the same for everyone. Whereas, in this *spoiler alert* you can trap that freckled ho Bonnie in the ice to die and includes multiple endings, such as choosing to kill Kenny or indirectly kill Jane. Basically, one player's playthrough can have different characters survive and end up in a different place (depending on the ending) I don't remember this in the first season.

I say this is an improvement from the first, as far as choices are concerned and it will probably be more open-ended and varied in season 3. Interested to see where Telltales will take this.

I hate to point this out but you are so wrong about that mate......The choices in season one had a huge impact on the story......Just look at the end of episode 4 season one.....It shows you a list of the choices people made and then after that it gives you another list of the different people who could have gone with you to help look for clem.....