Bungie NEWS!! Fix for RAIDS! (Opinion piece)

smokevf

So dumb it down and make it easy for everyone? Sigh. Every kid has to get a trophy these days huh? Forget working for it and doing what the game was designed to do and just give it away to everyone. If I was Bungie, I'd cancel the game right now and tell the masses to go fuck themselves. They try to do something different and everyone has a tantrum before they've even played the game and have decided in advance that the last thing they're going to do is play the game the way it was intended.

A Hates MMO's, Buys An MMO meme feels appropriate here, but much like the introverts that want to play a massive multiplayer online game solo, I can't be bothered to oblige.

They could change the set-up right now and then there would be a petition to shorten the time Raids take to complete because some other sect of entitled fuckhead internet pussies would come along and say they don't have that much time to play and have hurt feelings about it. There's no end to it. Too many voices and too many developers caving in on their vision to appease wanna be basement game designers that can muster up all the time in the world to piss and moan, but no time to do things the way there supposed to be done.

Edited by WalterWhite

This is not really a fix just a way of making it more accessible. Plus I do not buy the numbers where he states that 95% will not see the content you can tell by the numbers already setting things up on the Bungie forums that the number will be so much lower than his fictitious number.

Also making normal easier takes away from what they are trying to do with Raids. As in most MMO's Raids are meant to be hard/taxing and take a good deal of luck and patience to get through.

GET OVER IT! Raids are supposed to be difficult, and part of that difficulty is finding 5 friends who are similarly end-game geared and capable of coordinated co-op play!!!!!

I'm so tired of this bullshit.

Why is it that when Dark Souls is made ... a game that is designed from top to bottom to be challenging and difficult ... it's OK.

But when a developer makes a game that has only one small part of the end-game that is very challenging and requires teamwork ... O M G ... the internet loses it's shit.

like minmatar said its not a fix, this isnt even bungie news its some guy on forbes saying they should drop the difficulty to make matachmaking work.as much as id like matchmaking i wouldnt want them to lower the difficutly at all to get it in there id rather have no matchmaking and team up with people another way and do the game as intended

Why is it that when Dark Souls is made ... a game that is designed from top to bottom to be challenging and difficult ... it's OK.

.. because matchmaking understandably has no play whatsoever in a Dark Souls game? The game is marketed to be difficult and people know that going into it. To compare it to Destiny is just mind-boggling.

.. because matchmaking understandably has no play whatsoever in a Dark Souls game? The game is marketed to be difficult and people know that going into it. To compare it to Destiny is just mind-boggling.

He's talking about the difficulty of Raids, not matchmaking in particular. I don't see why anyone would be opposed to a matchmaking system being introduced (I doubt VeX is saying that either), but the point is, the game is what it is, if it doesn't work for someone - they shouldn't play it. I know going in that I may not be able to do the Raids because I'm (probably) not going to seek out a group to do it with, but I'll play what I can play, enjoy it, and I don't expect them to change the game because it doesn't work for me. The last thing they should do is knock down the difficulty of the Raids to appease people who can't be bothered to buddy up. Why should I get the same rewards as you do for copping out on easy mode? And if I don't get the same rewards as you, making it easier essentially leaves the current system as it already is, so we're right back to square one.

We live in this time where everybody has to get everything in a game, earned or not. These Raids aren't designed with the casual gamers who just want to romp around in mind, they're for hardcore players who will play the game for years to come with groups and try to do everything. Personally, I think that's cool. Not everybody is meant to do the hardest things a game has to offer, it should be a challenge. If we were back in the days of arcades, this would be like finding the manager and telling him he needs to reset the high scores on the Pac-Man machine because the current high score is too hard for me to beat, but I want my fucking initials up there. Nah. Earn it.

I'm convinced the developers were lazy or neglectful and "accidentally" made the game hard then everyone started hyping up about how awesome the game is like this, and so they just ran with it.

Back on topic, I wouldn't care so much about the 6 requirement if they didn't have 4 whole achievements tied to Raids. Regardless, I still think matchmaking should be an option. So what if you're more likely to fail? That was your choice to play with randoms.

I'm convinced the developers were lazy or neglectful and "accidentally" made the game hard then everyone started hyping up about how awesome the game is like this, and so they just ran with it.

Back on topic, I wouldn't care so much about the 6 requirement if they didn't have 4 whole achievements tied to Raids. Regardless, I still think matchmaking should be an option. So what if you're more likely to fail? That was your choice to play with randoms.

That's how I feel, matchmaking should always be there for a second option. I don't care if you have 10 friends that play this game, what happens when you really wanna do a raid and you only have 2 of your friends on...go on the forums and find someone there?.. you shouldn't have to do that, the way they were doing it at first was so wrong. not everyone of your friends plays at the same time let alone 5, maybe some of you do but 90% says they dont.... idk why people are bitching about them changing this, and yes this is a FIX...look on the bungie website, dumbing it down though is stupid, but I guess that's what hard mode is for, but now you can get matched up with randoms, see how they play, if there good...get them in your squad to run hard raids.... so much more beneficial!

Thank you Bungie!

but the point is, the game is what it is, if it doesn't work for someone - they shouldn't play it.

The beta (and a representation of the final product) was a mess of non-communication that didn't allow you to talk to Crucible teammates unless they were in your fireteam. For a social game with various MMO aspects it's almost as if Bungie doesn't want you to communicate with other players. The Bungie companion app, while it has its uses, isn't and shouldn't be the primary avenue to connect with other players.

I know going in that I may not be able to do the Raids because I'm (probably) not going to seek out a group to do it with, but I'll play what I can play, enjoy it, and I don't expect them to change the game because it doesn't work for me.

It doesn't work for a lot of people; the lack of communication between players is the core issue many players have brought up during the beta. Four emotes that hardly convey any combat information whatsoever? No opt-in for proximity chat? No native communication between all teammates in Crucible? These are things you expect Destiny to not change because.. why? The issues with friends-only non-matchmaking Raids are tied directly to the lack of interactivity between players in-game. If Bungie doesn't address the latter issue, then matchmaking is a must.

The last thing they should do is knock down the difficulty of the Raids to appease people who can't be bothered to buddy up. Why should I get the same rewards as you do for copping out on easy mode? And if I don't get the same rewards as you, making it easier essentially leaves the current system as it already is, so we're right back to square one.

I don't think anyone other than the author of the article in OP's thread suggested they water down the Raid experience.

If we were back in the days of arcades, this would be like finding the manager and telling him he needs to reset the high scores on the Pac-Man machine because the current high score is too hard for me to beat, but I want my fucking initials up there. Nah. Earn it.

No, actually this would be like the manager telling you to bring your own 3rd party plug-in joysticks because the arcade machine's for whatever reason are non-existent. Having to go through a 3rd party supplier for joysticks when one should be provided from the get-go isn't an indication of not "earning it" but rather the manager's incessant need to impose additional, irrational burdens on his customers.

If you're familiar with any of my posts about this subject, it's apparent that I'm all for matchmaking because of the issue of communication in Destiny. Not because I don't want to "earn it" or because I want it to be "easy".

edit: Pretty much these

This whole issue with Raids would be nearly non-existent if we had basic chat options. When I mean basic, I mean stuff we've had for the most bare bone of MP games.

The worst way I can explain the Tower hub is that it's the equivalent of Playstation Home with even less social interaction or options. Go there, get your cutscene or buy your crap and get out.

It should be a Social Hub! It's where you should go to interact with other players, meet new friends, set up Fireteams for Crucible, Strikes, Raids and so on.

You should be able to chat with players in the Crucible, actually communicate with the team you're playing with for gods sake. This is going to be critical in something like The Iron Banner when people start getting decent gear.

Yeah there's going to be "trolls" every now and again but Bungie, instead of adding ways to filter out those players by giving us Mute options, the option to disable hearing chat completely for some alone game time and so on, are just going way too heavy handed and removing the feature all together. A basic, fundamental feature of all MP games.

Right now we're a bunch of mimes waving and dancing at each other desperate to actually interact with each in what is meant to be a social game without social features.

Proximity Chat for the Tower and Exploration, normal Chat for Crucible and being able to flag yourself as looking for Raid partners. Add in mute options and so on and we're golden.

Yes. I like no matchmaking. What I don't like is not being able to talk to my teammates in the Crucible, to make friends to raid with.

Halo maxed out my friends list. This should be a no brainer, and Bungie really needs to address the elephant in the room.

Honestly, I'll be shocked it they don't. This is one of if not the biggest issue that has been universally hated by everyone who played in the beta.

For a game with MMO aspects.. it sure doesn't feel like an MMO. Bungie has work to do.

tl;dr: why the fuck is there hardly any social interaction in a social game

Edited by Hishoa

This is just some guy talking about what he thinks should be done. Where does it say Bungie is involved and that this is occurring?

yes this is a FIX...look on the bungie website,

I'm looking at it right now. Nothing.

That's how I feel, matchmaking should always be there for a second option. I don't care if you have 10 friends that play this game, what happens when you really wanna do a raid and you only have 2 of your friends on...go on the forums and find someone there?.. you shouldn't have to do that, the way they were doing it at first was so wrong. not everyone of your friends plays at the same time let alone 5, maybe some of you do but 90% says they dont.... idk why people are bitching about them changing this, and yes this is a FIX...look on the bungie website, dumbing it down though is stupid, but I guess that's what hard mode is for, but now you can get matched up with randoms, see how they play, if there good...get them in your squad to run hard raids.... so much more beneficial!

Thank you Bungie!

did you actually read that article? bungie hasn't changed anything that's some guy suggesting what they should do. as much as id like matchmaking i don't agree they should lower the difficulty

If you think you have what it takes to even attempt to do a raid from Bungie's Ninja level designers of a thousand gaming deaths then;

a/ Join a decent bungie.net clan, one that aligns with your own gaming tastes would be best.

b/ Spent lots of hours searching for the very best exotic gear that the particular raid demands you to equip.

c/ Devise smart strategies with your clan mates to get past difficult sections of the raid.

d/ Stop crying a river like a little gaming crybaby. Bungie don't care, at least I hope they don't.

If they (Bungie) do cave to pressure from the complainers, then i'm afraid these raids will be inevitably watered down. Cheers.

As a result of people on the internet having a tendency of jumping to conclusions, I edited the title:)

I haven't really kept up to date with Destiny but I kind of see where the author is coming from. If you do have limited gaming time it is difficult to organise a match up.

I don't understand Bungie's logic with not including matchmaking. There's been many games like Rainbow Six and Battlefield 3 just to name a few where I've joined randoms and orchestrated a team based approach with everyone communicating. I remember jumping into Battlefield games mid session and instantly gelling with a squad's strategy and going on to win the ace squad award.

did you actually read that article? bungie hasn't changed anything that's some guy suggesting what they should do. as much as id like matchmaking i don't agree they should lower the difficulty

I think OP ran away.

As a result of people on the internet having a tendency of jumping to conclusions, I edited the title:)

If you do have limited gaming time it is difficult to organise a match up. I don't understand Bungie's logic with not including matchmaking.

Thank you.

My understanding is that it is so difficult and time consuming that it would be pointless to put a group of random players together. If you've ever played zombies in the CoD games, then you know what it's like to be playing with people that don't know their ass from their elbow. Except raids are allegedly way harder and require even more cooperation. So if you really don't have that much time to play and matchmaking were available, then you wouldn't even be able to complete them anyway.

The beta (and a representation of the final product) was a mess of non-communication that didn't allow you to talk to Crucible teammates unless they were in your fireteam. For a social game with various MMO aspects it's almost as if Bungie doesn't want you to communicate with other players. The Bungie companion app, while it has its uses, isn't and shouldn't be the primary avenue to connect with other players.

It doesn't work for a lot of people; the lack of communication between players is the core issue many players have brought up during the beta. Four emotes that hardly convey any combat information whatsoever? No opt-in for proximity chat? No native communication between all teammates in Crucible? These are things you expect Destiny to not change because.. why? The issues with friends-only non-matchmaking Raids are tied directly to the lack of interactivity between players in-game. If Bungie doesn't address the latter issue, then matchmaking is a must.

I don't think anyone other than the author of the article in OP's thread suggested they water down the Raid experience.

No, actually this would be like the manager telling you to bring your own 3rd party plug-in joysticks because the arcade machine's for whatever reason are non-existent. Having to go through a 3rd party supplier for joysticks when one should be provided from the get-go isn't an indication of not "earning it" but rather the manager's incessant need to impose additional, irrational burdens on his customers.

If you're familiar with any of my posts about this subject, it's apparent that I'm all for matchmaking because of the issue of communication in Destiny. Not because I don't want to "earn it" or because I want it to be "easy".

edit: Pretty much these

For a game with MMO aspects.. it sure doesn't feel like an MMO. Bungie has work to do.

tl;dr: why the fuck is there hardly any social interaction in a social game

We discussed the communication issues in another thread, where we were in agreement. I was clearing up what I thought was a miscommunication between you and Darth VeX.