Walking Simulator???

CrazyStu4

I've played through the game several times now, and I still don't have this achievement. According to a thread over on True Achievements, you have to play on the same difficulty (eg: 5000 steps on Normal and then 5000 steps on Hardcore won't count). Earlier on today, I put rubber bands on my controller's analog sticks to make my character walk around in circles, which I'm sure I did for at least an hour, but still nothing! Is it bugged?

Again if you have time on your hands, I'd go as far as to suggest you copy your save data to a USB, then wipe all your Slender game/save data and reinstall. Do another easy run and cross your fingers. If it pops, Dashboard out and delete that save data and copy your real progress back to the console from your USB. It's a bit of a hassle but harder achievements have been more broken. I'd say it's worth a shot.

Again if you have time on your hands, I'd go as far as to suggest you copy your save data to a USB, then wipe all your Slender game/save data and reinstall. Do another easy run and cross your fingers. If it pops, Dashboard out and delete that save data and copy your real progress back to the console from your USB. It's a bit of a hassle but harder achievements have been more broken. I'd say it's worth a shot.

Yep, that sounds like the best solution to me.

Also, this sounds like a silly question, but you don't think sprinting would count against this achievement, do you?

Maybe, but I doubt it. My original playthrough where this popped didn't involve much running, but I still don't see why that would effect it.

Alright, I've copied my save onto a memory stick and deleted it from my console, and reinstalled the game. After doing all of that, I've played through the game on Easy twice, the time in the top right corner of the screen is currently on 1 hour 50 minutes, and STILL no achievement.

Grizzly, I have two questions for you:

1) When the achievement popped for you, what was the time in the top right corner of the screen?

2) Did you play with "camera inversion" set to On or Off? (Mine is set to On)

Alright, I've copied my save onto a memory stick and deleted it from my console, and reinstalled the game. After doing all of that, I've played through the game on Easy twice, the time in the top right corner of the screen is currently on 1 hour 50 minutes, and STILL no achievement.

Grizzly, I have two questions for you:

1) When the achievement popped for you, what was the time in the top right corner of the screen?

2) Did you play with "camera inversion" set to On or Off? (Mine is set to On)

I honestly don't remember what the time was when it popped for me, just because I've gone back in to shave my times down with Chapter Selection. I don't think my camera was inverted though. I didn't change it from the default position. I can't really check for a couple of days because my game consoles are packed (I'm moving on Monday). But yeah, the only option I changed from default was the brightness which I maxed out.

I honestly don't remember what the time was when it popped for me, just because I've gone back in to shave my times down with Chapter Selection. I don't think my camera was inverted though. I didn't change it from the default position. I can't really check for a couple of days because my game consoles are packed (I'm moving on Monday). But yeah, the only option I changed from default was the brightness which I maxed out.

Well, I've just done two more full playthroughs (both on Easy), I set the camera inversion to Off, and no achievement. :( Even clearing my system cache hasn't worked.

I've created a thread on Blue Isle Studios' forum about this problem, because at this point I don't know what else can be done.

That's weird. I honestly have no idea what you can do now. Ever consider buying a new Xbox? :p

Haha, no way, man. :p

Sadly, not even Blue Isle Studios can make sense of it. They reckon I'm the victim of an extremely rare and unlucky glitch where the "Steps taken" variable somehow skips past 10,000 and stops the "Achievement unlock" event from triggering.

Haha, no way, man. :p

Sadly, not even Blue Isle Studios can make sense of it. They reckon I'm the victim of an extremely rare and unlucky glitch where the "Steps taken" variable somehow skips past 10,000 and stops the "Achievement unlock" event from triggering.

Since the variable is apparently tied to difficulty, maybe try doing 10k steps on the other difficulties as well?

Since the variable is apparently tied to difficulty, maybe try doing 10k steps on the other difficulties as well?

2 full playthroughs now done on Normal and Hardcore, but still nothing. I have a feeling that I'm doing something wrong; something that is causing the "Steps taken" variable to go back to 0 or something.

One thing I completely forgot to mention - during my very first playthrough, I actually got disconnected from Xbox Live, and believe it or not, it actually happened again during the playthrough after I deleted my original save and started again from scratch! Maybe that is contributing to it as well?

When I have the time, I'll delete my save and reinstall the game one last time and hope for the best.

Edited by CrazyStu4
Missed a word

Ack, glitchy achievements are never fun. I've also posted in CrazyStu's topic on Blue Isle's forums, and if anyone else encounters this issue I'd advise them to do the same (not in an angry manner, but just in a way that lets them know that you're encountering it and are concerned). Hopefully if they recognize the issue as a large enough bug (i.e. affecting a large enough quantity of people), they'll investigate the issue in more detail.

New information from around the web. First, a possible glitch fix from brittdog25/MATT MARDAGAN:

Not a solution but just a heads up. This was the last achievement for me to unlock and I feel it was glitched. I played through the game 4 times and should have unlocked it. For those who have not had it unlock after multiple attempts, here is how I got it to unlock:

1) delete saved game file

2) delete slender the arrival game

3) re-download slender the arrival game

4) start new game do not adjust any options

5) walk in circles at 1st level until achievement unlocks

after doing this it unlocked for me with no problems. If you have any questions let me know.

(P.S. I upvoted your solution as thanks for posting this :))

And from the Brendan, a developer on the Blue Isle Studios Forums, some more information and a confirmation that they are looking into it:

Sorry Guys, we’re still trying to figure this out; on our side of things, tests have worked fine and we haven’t been able to reproduce the issue. We usually get the achievement once we progress to the flashback level. A) Some more information: STEPS_TAKEN is tied to your save file. Clearing your save file and running through the game should at least re-open the ability to obtain that achievement.

B) We have noticed the walking sounds play sometimes when reading a pickup. It’s possible the glitch occurs here but we have yet to reproduce the issue so this may not be helpful. Either way, it might be worth running through the game without reading things to see if the achievement unlocks.

C) This shouldn’t matter since STEPS_TAKEN is tied to your save file (which is an offline feature).

Things are looking up, it seems. The BIS thread is here if anyone is interested/wants to keep up-to-date on it.

Well, thanks to brittdog25/MATT MARDAGAN, I FINALLY have this achievement! I did exactly what he said: delete your save, delete the game, re-download it, start a new game without adjusting any options, and keep walking around in circles on the first level (which I did by rubber banding my analog sticks). It unlocked after about 2 hours and 37 minutes.

Phew!

• 2 weeks later...