XBA Review

adbailey18

I would still say to keep your expectations guarded, as Alien: Isolation has received some not so flattering reviews. Lowest one I've seen at the moment is from IGN's Ryan McCaffrey, who gave the game a 59. Also has a 60 from GameSpot and a 65 from Polygon.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/alien-isolation/critic-reviews

Regardless I'm still looking forward to playing despite the mixed reviews. Not seeing much about bugs 'n' glitches, mostly complaints about the pacing of the story and that the enemy AI is too challenging/random?

Will be watching the Alien theatrical cut and Director's Cut for the umpteenth time over the weekend in preparation for Isolation. I think it's been a while since a proper "Alien" game. I'm more of an Alien/Prometheus fan than an Aliens fan so I'm excited to play a game that's supposed to be survival horror.

What was the last "Alien" game? I mean Alien, not Aliens or AvP. I know about the 2600 Pac-Man clone but how many other Alien games have there been?

Yeah, well I don't trust IGN or similar sites. They seem to be complaining that the game is too long, especially IGN's guy saying he thought he'd reached the end several times, but I'm sure they would complain if it was too short too.

As for the AI, isn't it supposed to be challenging/unpredictable? Whole point of the game.

In the end it's a few people's opinions. I'll form my own.

It's weird. Most of the British sites have given it a good score and a lot of the US sites haven't. Not sure I've seen such a divide before. Interesting!

Edit: I wrote our review. Any questions, gimme a shout. I'm working but will try and keep an eye on the thread.

I'm concerned that one of the reviews picked up on the exact thing I was worried about, ie the Alien being there all the time, "like it's fixed to you by an invisible tether" and that cheapening how scary it is over the course of a long game.

I think it was in the polygon review but it might have been one of the others. Anyway, that was something I was worried about given that was the impression I got through all of the gameplay footage i've seen.

Another review I read said that the main worry with isolation was whether they could maintain the intensity throughout a full game. Perhaps the right question may have been should they...

----

Edit - Suppose I should point out that even with all that said, i'm still really excited because the concept is so perfect, and yes I have preordered.

Edited by Rivercurse

It's weird. Most of the British sites have given it a good score and a lot of the US sites haven't. Not sure I've seen such a divide before. Interesting!

Edit: I wrote our review. Any questions, gimme a shout. I'm working but will try and keep an eye on the thread.

At the risk of sounding un-American, I tend to think British reviews are more accurate overall. I wish I was kidding.

---

Interesting mix of reviews so far, but it's not enough to scare me away from a day one purchase. I actually like some of IGN's writers, but my problem with them is that it seems like there are a dozen guys around the place that they let randomly review a game, so it gets difficult to get familiar with someone doing the review and to consider their track record. Ryan McCaffrey is not one of those people however, but I'm kind of mixed on him overall. He's a pretty level-headed guy for the most part, so I wouldn't completely discount his review, but short of looking at his previous review scores (I think he put Titanfall at a high eight), I'm going to take this one with a grain of salt. Mind you, I'm not going to read the review, I'm going just off scores. I don't want to know anything about this game going in. I stopped watching preview videos months ago.

It sounds like they made a proper survival horror game that's tough as nails. Rivercurse makes a great point, the Alien being "tethered" to you sounds like what's happening, and I could see that getting frustrating, which is a recurring word in all of these reviews. In fairness, I can't think of a single old school survival horror game that wasn't frustrating to some degree. I did see a bit in one of the reviews that I skimmed that said you can actually fuck up your game with a bad save, as in, the Alien is standing right behind you or something when you save, and you're screwed. It said there was no autosave feature, I believe. If that's the case, here's hoping for multiple save slots.

What I really wanted out of reviews was to hear that we weren't getting a broken game with a terrible story. It sounds like we're getting Outlast with an Aliens skin a little bit, which is right about where my expectations were. The controversial mix of numerical scores tells me that hardcore fans of the series might not be getting the best game ever made, but probably getting the best Alien game ever made, and a solid game in itself. That'll do.

Edited by WalterWhite

As for the AI, isn't it supposed to be challenging/unpredictable? Whole point of the game.

While I haven't played Alien: Isolation myself, I agree because the unpredictablity is what has been selling me. I watched some videos of the survivor mode, and I found the xenomorph AI to be particularly interesting due to how aggressive it appeared at times. I like challenges.

In the end it's a few people's opinions. I'll form my own.

Absolutely. I don't care to see the number at the end of a review. I read multiple opinions and mostly look for mentions of bugs and glitches to see if anything in particular has been shared between multiple reviews.

I remember the same reviewer from IGN gave Halo 4 a 9.8, which made me very excited for the game, but I was ultimately let down with Halo 4 once I got my hands on it. As I said I just read reviews because I'm always interested in what a person thinks of a game, even if I don't agree with a previous review.

I've got a few questions for you, Mr. Bradley!

1. What difficulty did you play Alien: Isolation on, and how many difficulty tiers are there?

2. Did you replay some portions of the game on different difficulties just to see how the xenomorph AI handled? If so, any differences in xeno behavior? Are there also any differences in the way human enemies or the androids behaved on alternate difficulties?

3. You touched on Survivor mode at the end of the review, but it's just the one Basement map that comes with the game, correct? And it's always the same three objectives on Basement even when you replay the map? Collect 2 crew cards, delete the system data, and lock down the stairwell. Do these objectives ever change?

4. Which of the Alien films have you watched, and do you have a favorite?

5. If Alien isn't your cup of tea then what is? Do you have a personal favorite piece of horror media that you hold in high regards above all else?

most of the reviews suckass i got the game for 3 days now and its great

its not like other alien games

its a pure survival horror game that needs to be played alone with headset on and all lights out. the creepy style is made just like it should be ( just like the first dead space )

if you r looking for fast action heavy shooting that kind a stuff dont buy it

if you want a slow game where tension and you'r heartbeat rise often where you realy panic when the alien shows up and you did not find a shelter in the surroundings you should buy it

i can tell you that when you'r hiding in a locker and it passes you and sniffs at that locker you realy freeze in you'r chair pull back and hold you'r braith ( remember that with kinect plugt in it even hears you breath when its close )

so, i love this kind a stuff, if you dont just dont play it and dont be stupid saying the game is bad like those reviewers. if you r a gamer you can say its a crap game if you dont like a game style, if you 'r a reviewer you cant you got to give the game points for what it is not for what you like r what xtras you got with the press copy they send you

pardon my teriblle english if someone wants to write it in real english and delete this i be more than thankfull

Oooh, okay. Questions! Let's do this.

1) I played it on Medium. There are three difficulty levels. Hard carries a note on the menu saying something along the lines of "this is how the game is meant to be played."

2) Yup, I played a few hours of it on Hard and it's brutal. There isn't a huge difference in the alien's AI that I noticed, but that may be the way that I play. I'm super careful and super stealthy. I read a review that talked about running and then hiding. I never do that.

The difference on Hard with human and synthetics is they hit you harder. A human will one-shot kill you and you'll only survive a couple of attacks from the synthetics. You can withstand a bit more punishment on Medium.

Side note: The human AI is super weird and silly, but you don't come across humans too much so it doesn't really matter.

3) Yeah, same map, same objectives. It's why I only really wrote about it as a side note. Kinda cool extra, but that's it.

4) I've seen all the Alien films. Love 'em! I prefer Aliens to Alien, which I know isn't a cool thing to say, but yeah. Aliens 3 is better than people would have you believe and Aliens 4 is wank. Wasn't fussed about Prometheus.

5) Well, I like the Aliens films, but The Thing is my favourite. Great film. Never did get around to playing the game of it tho...

Edited by LeeBradley

A couple more things before I go away for the weekend...

I kinda get the big spread of scores. Aliens is SO frustrating in places that it won't be everyone's cup of tea. Nobody's review is WRONG, really. Unless they say Isolation is the sequel to Nintendogs.

The thing that did confuse me is the difference between US and UK reviewers.

The "tethering" thing. I suppose, kinda? This thing is hunting you, it has super senses. Of course it's going to hand around. It never registered as a problem for me. Again, horses for courses, innit.

Edited by LeeBradley

If you've read the IGN review, make sure you watch the video version in 1080p. Man, some of the visuals look amazing. The light glinting off the sweat running down Amanda's face... I really can't wait.

Edit - Just seen post above. Lee one last thing, any merit to what McCaffrey said regarding the second half or last third of the game feeling like it dragged, or that the story was just carried on too long?

Edited by Rivercurse

The cutscenes do look great, but they drop frames. Didn't have space to say that in my review.

And yeah, there's a section about three quarters of the way through that dragged. You're just powering shit up repeatedly.

I took a break, came back to it the next day, breezed through end enjoyed the last few hours which change things up a little.

I'm a little surprised with the big inconsistency on the reviews, how on earth could IGN give it 5.9 now I know I have not played it but that's seems extremely low for what I would call an Original title with no other game like it. After reading the IGN review I just feel the game was too hard for the guy & he was frustrated by it & did not understand the concept.

O

I Wont be buying it straight away anyway but will be keeping an eye on it & read all other reviews

Nice, Lee! Thank you for responding to everyone's questions!

4) I've seen all the Alien films. Love 'em! I prefer Aliens to Alien, which I know isn't a cool thing to say, but yeah. Aliens 3 is better than people would have you believe and Aliens 4 is wank. Wasn't fussed about Prometheus.

5) Well, I like the Aliens films, but The Thing is my favourite. Great film. Never did get around to playing the game of it tho...

Yeah, the third Alien wasn't anything great but it wasn't one of the worst films I've seen. I actually liked Resurrection more than 3 because Resurrection seemed so stupidly comical. Made me laugh at times.

John Carpenter's The Thing is indeed excellent.

I kinda get the big spread of scores. Aliens is SO frustrating in places that it won't be everyone's cup of tea.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Evil Within receives the same sort of reception that Alien: Isolation is getting at the moment. The Evil Within is looking like it relies more on shooting and laying down traps than total stealth, and ammo will also be dreadfully scarce in The Evil Within. There's also that Ruvik chap that whizzes around and appears at random, I'm betting he can be just as frustrating as the xeno in Alien: Isolation for some.

And yeah, there's a section about three quarters of the way through that dragged. You're just powering shit up repeatedly.

Now I'm reminded of the first Dead Space. "Issac, run over there and fix that thing! Ok, now run over there and patch up this other thing!"

Dead Space was a fine game but trying to look back at it now and my memory is just mush of me running around in a dark spaceship and shooting those necromorphs. Dead Space 2 was far more action-oriented but it's more memorable for me to look back on due to all of the varied setpieces.

Good to know that Alien: Isolation can drag if you're powering through.

I think I'm ultimately looking forward to the Crew Expendable and Last Survivor DLCs moreso than the main game so hopefully those will be short, sweet, and a little more varied.

Thanks for the review, Lee, I feel better about my pre-order. :D

It's totally cool to say you prefer Aliens, it's an incredible flick that still holds up nearly 30 years later.

Have you ever read William Gibson's original script for Alien 3 that Fox passed on? It was fucking fantastic. It took Ripley out of the picture sending her to Earth and focused on Hicks and Bishop. Bishop had his info downloaded by the Russians as the Sulaco drifted through their space and has to confess to Hicks that he's not sure if he's got hidden programming that may make him be an enemy at some point.

Because there is no full alien specimen, the US tries to "clone" one from DNA scraped off the Sulaco's loading bay floor and changes the Alien biology in the process. Essentially, instead of eggs, the queen gives off spores that can be inhaled and even cause the victim to eventually explode with multiple chestbursters.

It was great the way he managed to marry the action of Aliens with the horror of Alien by making the xenomorphs unpredictable again. Unfortunately, with Sigourney Weaver as one of the producers, there was no way in hell they were going to take Ripley out of the story despite the fact that she really was a spent character (she blew the alien out of the airlock twice already).

And John Carpenter's The Thing is a goddamned masterpiece. The game? Eh, not so much... :D

I won't even get started on how much Prometheus is an assload of fuck.

I was happy to see you guys gave it a high rating before I went to bed last night. I feel confident about my pre-order now, as before reading the review, I was think about returning the game once I finish it. So long as it's a good game, I'd like to keep it and support the developer rather than get a refund. Happy to hear about the length of the game too. :)

I agree that the UK normally offers a much more thought out and fair reviews.

Something I've noticed is that all the other reviewers took longer to beat the game than what was suggested in this site's review.

So Lee, how long did it actually take you to beat the game. The low scorers seemed to take 20+ hours to beat the game, which most likely means that they were having more meet and greets with the alien compared to Lee.

I'm in a tent somewhere so apols for the short replies.

Lemons

The main things I remember about Resurection are the shitty alien and the way it gets sucked out the window. It IS funny.

I've kinda not been following The Evil Within much. Been trying to avoid as many details as poss to keep it fresh. Kinda difficult for me.

Dead Space. I chuffing love that game, but yeah that's the structure. To be fair nearly all Alien is the same kinda deal. It's just in that section I talked about that it becomes a pain.

DLC. They gave us the code for 'em, but they don't go live until next week. Can't wait! Weirdly, the first demo I played of Isolation isn't in the game at all. Guessing it's now one of the DLCs.

Jack

"An assload of fuck" made me laugh. Funnily enough, I was watching some random making of for Alien 3 today, where they were talking about how the story changed. Gibson's script sounds interesting.

Dirty

Yeah I thought it was great. I hope you like it too dude. Just bear in mind that if dying and retrying stuff repeatedly isn't your thing, then Alien might not be for you.

Cereal

I was thinking about this. I played it from 1pm-3am on Wednesday and 1pm-6:30pm on Thursday, with breaks for food and stuff. So that's about 18 hours? On Medium.

But here's the thing. That time includes me repeatedly ballsing up sections and getting lost. If I played it again I'd cut that in half, maybe. Definitely knock a load of hours off.

I also super stealthed everything, which is much quicker. Dan got through the first human encounter by killing them all but it took him AGES. A good couple of hours, just for that, cos you're not really supposed to play it that way.

So it depends how you approach it.

My same reaction :biglaugh If the AI was too predictable it'd be a low score as well. Funny how the larger 3 "mainstream" sites rated it low, while the smaller sources have rated it high.

While I get different opinions, what baffles me when reading some comments here and there, especially on IGN are the people that just from the ONE review they read that gave it a 5.9 decide to cancel their pre-order and dismiss the game. They don't bother reading around at other reviews or even make their own mind about it. Especially considering some of the negatives from the IGN review left me scratching my head.