Disable auto-recording of clips?

fragydig529

Help! I'm SO tired of seeing "Film Clip Saved" pop up in games for stupid reason, mainly noticeable on GTA5, I mean it records you sniping someone of you're scoped in, it records you if you weave in & out of traffic without hitting anyone. It records when you shoot down helicopters, it records a ton of useless and mundane stuff. How do I disable this?

It bothers me so much that I've almost stopped playing GTA all together, I've looked through GTA's menu and everywhere I could think, no help though.

Setting on x1. Turn off game dvr i think

Ah man! I have to disable the entire DVR? That seems extreme, but I hardly use it anyways. I don't have a Kinect so I can just re-enable it when I want to record something. Or when I'm not playing GTA, Ryse, or any game that auto records EVERY move.

I mean; what's so special about sniping someone, that the Xbox thinks you want it recorded. Ugh

Thanks man

~~~ADDED

After looking through the XBOX's settings and reading online, you can no longer disable the DVR, but you can disable notifications. The space used by the DVR is already reserved for that purpose so it doesn't affect your available memory.

However, I don't want to disable notifications, because I like the achievement sound, just not followed by "FILM CLIP SAVED"

Edited by fragydig529
Added content

Ah man! I have to disable the entire DVR? That seems extreme, but I hardly use it anyways. I don't have a Kinect so I can just re-enable it when I want to record something. Or when I'm not playing GTA, Ryse, or any game that auto records EVERY move.

I mean; what's so special about sniping someone, that the Xbox thinks you want it recorded. Ugh

Thanks man

no prob m8. I have game dvr on but i manage my clips so i dont end up with 100+ clips. Its worth doing every day or two otherwise you may miss a great moment that you want to save if dvr is off

• 1 month later...

there is no way around it atm. if you dont want auto recordings you need to turn the whole DVR off

SETTINGS > PREFERENCES > allow broadcasts and DVR uploads.<<< untick that box

just make sure to switch it back on because if you do something awesome dont think you can turn it back on quick to record what you just did because you cant do that because it wasnt recording.

so just turn it off for auto record spamming games and remember to turn it back on.

or leave it on and just make sure to manage your clips.

we really do need a feature that disables auto recordings tho i have already voted for it on xbox feed back thing

Yeah, only a few games I have ever played auto-record, and I hate it. So much. It's the worst. If I want a clip recorded, I'll say, "Xbox record that," or, "Xbox snap DVR." Simple. Don't make me waste time going into Upload to delete them. If I know a game has auto-record, I turn off DVR while I play, unless it's very minimal (like Ori and the Blind Forest). Games like Peggle 2 can suck a dick :p I fully completed that game and you can bet I turned off DVR!

• 2 weeks later...
Yet another dumb XB1 "feature." Are the clips saved on your hard drive or to the cloud? Either way it's an annoyance. You're either putting unnecessary wear and tear on your hard drive, or you're hogging bandwidth for something you don't even want. Ugh.

It's actually a rather nifty process:

1. Technically, the system is ALWAYS recording, but only into a small portion of RAM, not onto the hard drive.

2. When you say "Record That", it actually saves the last bit that was being recorded sort of "temporarily" to the hard drive. Although, it's not "taking up space" as this small part of the hard drive is already being partitioned for the OS (the Xbox One Operating System). The clips aren't really "temporary" because they are part of the OS partition that is specifically set aside just for this use. New clips overwrite old clips that have been uploaded, and the same space just gets used over and over again.

3. Then, whether you go to the upload app immediately or not, it starts uploading the clip slowly to the cloud using very minimal upload bandwidth--this is why those who have a fast upload speed on their connection often have their clips appear in their friends' feeds almost instantly and those with a slow upload it can take several minutes to an hour.

If you DO happen to have a VERY VERY VERY slow upload speed ... you can actually improve your connection in multiplayer games that constantly upload clips by disabling the DVR in the settings.

I personally don't have a GREAT upload speed, but it's not HORRIBLE, so I still think the benefits of the DVR currently outweigh the benefits of disabling it ... but I still STRONGLY support them instituting the OPTION to disable "Auto-Recordings" and still leave the DVR on for manual use.

Yet another dumb XB1 "feature." Are the clips saved on your hard drive or to the cloud? Either way it's an annoyance. You're either putting unnecessary wear and tear on your hard drive, or you're hogging bandwidth for something you don't even want. Ugh.

the dvr is a great feature could at least learn more about it before you call it dumb, doesnt take any additional space. you can have 1 hour an 40 mins of saved clips and it doesnt take any space at all.

if its hogging my 10mb and 0.9 bandwidth its barely noticeable even playing online.

if it really is just a useless feature to you then you can just turn it off completely.

i love being able to record awesome moments tho

Edited by Lewie B I ReQ

Its the games that are making the xbox auto record clips, otherwise you would normally have to tell the xbox when to record

Not putting any more wear and tear on your hard drive then a save game would, where you are constantly saving over it.