That Chicken Challenge...

So, i breezed through the game on hard, got all golds on the trials, and then I hit the chicken trial.

The mechanics are mind boggling, you aim the chicken one aha and it sometimes randomly goes the other way. I'm really having a hard time moving the chicken to the finish, as you throw it up and it flies off to the left.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? My best time is 2.20, so 20 secs off gold, but that was with countless chicken errors of it doing what it wanted.

I'll get it tomorrow I guess, but it annoyed me so I turned it off.

It's not that hard really, all about predicting where it will go, and being there to catch it when you switch zones. Aiming is especially important at the end otherwise your chicken will bounce all over the place. You'll get it easy enough eventually. On my first run I struggled with it a little but on my second run last week got it first try, silly as it sounds take your time.

Also don't do special moves on it like some videos show, just use Y to catch exclusively.

If it hits anything it will fly off in another direction, need to be pretty precise.

I've done it now, but your missing my point. Before it hits anything....

I was aiming the arrow right, and it leaves juan to the left randomly. He was just throwing it in the wrong direction.

I've done it now, but your missing my point. Before it hits anything....

I was aiming the arrow right, and it leaves juan to the left randomly. He was just throwing it in the wrong direction.

Never blame Juan for lack of skill.....Juan is all things great in the world, don't let him hear you blame him, he will be very displeased, and will likely Pollo Bomb your ass....(sounded better in my head, now it's on screen it just looks wrong on so many levels).

• 3 weeks later...

I actually have this same problem with throwing in this version of Guac too. I am not sure if it is something I am doing wrong, the sensitivity of the bone sticks, or what. I gave up on this challenge because of it. I grabbed the plat in the earlier psvita version, but I don't think I will ever 100% this one.

• 3 years later...

This isn't actually the chicken's fault. (Of course, most things are the chicken's fault, which is why it's fun to punch it and throw it around :p).

It's a more general difficulty about throwing any enemy. The same thing happened to me for ages when grappling and throwing normal enemies.

1. Press Y to grab the enemy;

2. Move the LH stick to get the arrow pointing where you want to hurl them;

3. Release Y. (If you've held Y for too long, a time limit kicks in anyway and the the enemy gets hurled)

It's at step 3 that it can go wrong. If you're using the analog stick, rather than the direction button with a cross on it (that's way too far down the controller for me to use, personally), you have to keep pointing it in the direction you want, for far longer than you might think. Otherwise the enemy will get hurled in some random direction.

It's something like: hold Y, choose your direction, and keep the stick pointed in that direction for ages, while you release Y. Perhaps even after you release Y. Try it out, holding the direction for much too long, and you'll get the hang of just how long you need to be holding the stick in the direction you want.

Once I figured this out my grappling and throwing actually became effective. It'll work with the chicken as well.

A lot of moves in Guacamelee are tricky because of this timing. Rooster Uppercut (up + B), or Dash (L or R + B), while in the air. The direction has to be "registered" some (long-seeming) time before you press B, or you just do a headbutt (B).

Now, how to add in B to this throwing technique, to get the Suplex, Piledriver and Das Boot - I have no idea. Sometimes I manage it, sometimes I don't.