Achievement Discussion

Kairi

• 4 weeks later...

The Achievements are pretty straight forward, no need to go for anything accept doing the missions. All the other ones will come while playing, so don´t aim for them. The problem is, you need to play the entire game 3 times.

Now I am not one of the best players in this game, but it takes ages for you to upgrade your ship if you don´t manage to finish a certain level, you need those upgrades to make it a little easier. Each difficulty forces you to upgrade your ship from scratch :(

Got all the cheevos so far except for silver and gold medal ones. All pretty straightforward and pretty easy to get.

My question would be, is there a way to grind xp on missions? I tried myself playing a mission a couple of times but I never seem to see the xp bar move while killing stuff. Does it only go up while completing objectives or do the "little guys" count too?

If so, there's a couple places where infinite enemies spawn at hangers on a couple missions and the planes are a one/two shot kill and when they leave the hanger they aren't flying at full speed and the whole group can be quickly mowed down. You only have to worry about the occasional stray fighter coming from a different direction and all the ground defenses can be destroyed to lessen the problem of getting shot. Of course, killing so many enemies makes a lot of icons drop, so dying should not a huge concern. I'll have to try this.

Speaking of which: Anyone know if xp gain is kept upon complete failure of a mission when having to restart? What if I just kept blowing up a bunch of stuff and dying on purpose?

^^^ let us know how it works out for you

More power to you if you find a way cos i cant even finish mission 8 on easy. I can get to the last area but dodging 100,000,000 projectiles at once is beyond me. Dont even want to think what this is like on hard.

Its kind of boring playing more than a mission at a time, but i enjoyed it untill mission 8. Only had 42% toward the 50 deaths after the first 7 missions, but mission 8 has got me that achievement and made me stop playing it. Cant even find a youtube video to see if im going about the boss the right way. :mad:

Edited by Gone4aDuck

The last stage is a series of arenas where you need to move from "box to box" and blow up the gate guns to proceed. Keep in mind also, every time you destroy a gate there's a couple of ground defense emplacements directly in front of you on the "road" that may or may NOT have a power up. They are easily avoided. Go to the left when destroying a gate/wall leads to a couple dead ends but there are almost always at least ONE power up at the end of the hall. There are unfortunately one to three of those obnoxious missile frigate things flying there but if not needed, then these can also be avoided. Follow the road to the next "box" and avoid the enemies.

I'll also agree that there is a serious bullet storm going on this stage and you almost just need to hold down both fire buttons and try to spend time dodging than worrying about each little enemy. Most of the enemies in the "boxes" can be avoided and then just fly to the gate and blow the guns apart in order to advance to the next section.

Super tip! The little missile turrets in the ground that pop out of the tiny double doors that shoot dumb-fire and homing rockets do WAY more damage per hit to you than any other single projectile in the game, including those nasty fusion laser cannons that some bosses have. STAY AWAY FROM THE MISSILES! Fortunately, they can be shot down, but only after they reach a certain "altitude" similarly to when you can't shoot the planes coming out of hangers right away. Obviously, there's also an achievement for this but later I found it much less stressful to shoot the rockets down as soon as possible if they were homing than letting them go as they can actually do 180 degree turns and hit you from behind especially when just off-screen. This is a serious issue in later difficulties, as I'm finding, unfortunately.

The last boss is a big cannon on rails that needs to have the "support" units destroyed before it can be attacked. Start off on one side in between bullet barrages and blow off the two different cannon/missile launcher things on the device/building that is connected to the big cannon. Go to the other side of the cannon and repeat. If needed, fly around the perimeter of the area and destroy all tanks and turrets as needed. They won't come back, only the fighter planes will respawn. After the two "devices" on either side of the cannon are destroyed you can damage the cannon. This is pretty easy as there's only a couple of easy-to-dodge weapons on the sides and after enough damage, the cannon will slide forward. Wait for the new "device/buildings" to attach to the sides of the cannon and repeat the previous couple of steps. Do this three times and after all six of the power devices are gone you can finish off the cannon and get arguably the worst translated ending I've seen in a while.

Don't want to spoil anything, but let's just say it's worth the effort to read badly translated gender case that calls in to question the sex of some of the people in the game. Totally worth it.

Edited by UltraKev9

Thanks for the advice. Managed to do it on easy by clearing out all enemies before moving on. I got to the last boss part with 7 lives doing it this way. Still got killed 5 times before beating the level though. Think i will have to settle for 730g becasuse i REALLY cant see me being able to beat it on hard. Getting old sucks!

Got bored after about 4 speech bubbles. Feel free to fill me in about what was said tho. Im currently trying a normal playthrough and am quite suprised how easy it is. Ive done the first 5 missions and only had to restart once. :drunk

Still preparing to scream alot on mission 8 tho.

Well, good news. You can replay a mission as many times as you like and continue to accrue xp. It even saves all xp if you die, so no serious worries. Also, absolutely everything in the game that you can destroy is worth some xp, (fighter planes very little, but it's something) except for one:

Enemy rockets.

You get zero xp or points for shooting them down which is kinda too bad, but I suppose that stops you from farming them.

The most amount of xp you can get at any time is for completing mission objectives and secondary objectives. It seems for grinding purposes the best bet is to find a mission that you are comfortable playing and burn through as quickly as possible to get the largest chunks of xp. Unfortunately it also seems that the xp awards are designed to get you to a certain level so you have a certain amount of upgrades available. If you want a few or even several levels/upgrades more than you would usually have at a given point it's going to be a serious grind.

Advice for everyone trying for the gold medal:

DON'T RUSH. You know level 8 is a nightmare, but it is beatable on hard. First, you have to be upgraded to level 17 (no more is possible) and upgrade everything except the last levels of speed and maneuverability. You need everything else and you can never get those 10 extra points.

Go slowly on level 8, be surgical about it. Attack from the outside and chip away at the defenses little by little. :uzi: Know the whole level like the palm of your hand. Learn where the extra lives are. The same enemies have them, always.

If you do it right, you can get with 7 lives to the last room. Again, work from the outside, destroy all ground defenses (they don't respawn). This will give you a HUGE respite on the bullet shower and give you a "safe place" when you need to retreat to avoid getting killed and to get a power up. EMPs and guided missiles are your best friends.

I played the last level at least 20 times until I learned how to do it properly and memorized everything. I managed to kill the last boss with 2 lives to spare. So don't get discouraged, just be patient and smart about it. Achievement unlocked! :dance: