Death March?

Looks like I'm going to have to settle with not getting this achievement.

I'm a casual player and while I have won several max difficulty level achievements in my history, (Mass Effect, Dead Space, Bioshock), I've never felt the satisfaction of winning them met with the drudgery of working through them.

I'm not spending 600 hours on a 200 hour game for 35 GS. I'll leave that to others and congratulate them when they achieve it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I can only echo everyone else's statements...

up until and during the griffin I was not enjoying the game at all and felt sure I'd made a mistake in playing on the hardest difficulty but I'm glad I persevered, it's still difficult and I still die regularly but it's because I made a mistake rather than the game's too hard. I'm only lvl 5 but can easily take out lvl 9 enemies, been using Quen and now just discovered Axii to daze enemies and then kill them with one hit.

Loving all the crafting of potions, bombs, swords etc really feel like I'm earning what I get.

is it worth taking AXII and Quen upgrades then? ive upgraded all my fast attack and strong attack 5/5 so moving into something different now

yes dude, if you get the next quen stage it allows you to have a bubble and the damage you absord gets put into health for you, very useful. cant remember the last time i used a potion or ate something to get my health back since having quen mark 2. and axii mark 2 deffo, you dont have to get involved in most fights with this, not for bosses though!

is it worth taking AXII and Quen upgrades then? ive upgraded all my fast attack and strong attack 5/5 so moving into something different now

Axi's Delusion and Puppet fully maxed out are amazing, especially the latter.

Quen's first two skills, both maxed out, are so great.

Totally worth it.

How does that puppet skill work?

I have it 2 points upgraded but so far i have never seen enemies attacking each other after using it.

Only one enemy gets stunned.

You need to hold right trigger to activate Puppet. Sometimes they'll just stand around, about 9/10 times, they'll begin to attack their teammates and it's, for me, 10/10 times, a one-hit kill. If my Puppet doesn't kill anyone, someone will kill my Puppet. Either way, it's good crowd control and guarantees an insta-kill in a group fight.

You need to hold right trigger to activate Puppet. Sometimes they'll just stand around, about 9/10 times, they'll begin to attack their teammates and it's, for me, 10/10 times, a one-hit kill. If my Puppet doesn't kill anyone, someone will kill my Puppet. Either way, it's good crowd control and guarantees an insta-kill in a group fight.

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but so if I just press RT, then it is stun but if I HOLD RT then it will activate the puppet variant? I have been wondering.

Oke, I'll give it (RT hold) a try

. Thnx

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but so if I just press RT, then it is stun but if I HOLD RT then it will activate the puppet variant? I have been wondering.

Yup. Pressing RT will activate Delusion where they just stand still. Holding RT for the full casting will activate Puppet.

Yup. Pressing RT will activate Delusion where they just stand still. Holding RT for the full casting will activate Puppet.

Perfect! Honestly, when I got the ability and it gave the prompt on how to use it - it was late and I was pretty drunk and I totally missed it:) I knew I was doing something wrong!

finding it challenging but doable. level 8 atm. my biggest annoyance is sometimes when you dodge or jump out the way and you clearly miss the enemies attack but it still hits you.. been killed a few times like that. the game could do with some polish

So I figured out what's going on here, and it's definitely dependent upon the type of enemy/weapon they're holding. Any enemy that has a beak, spiky head, halberd, front-facing axe, or generally point-front-end, WILL damage you if they or you make any contact at all.

It's cheap, but once you consciously start to watch out for it, it'll kill you a bit less.

Just invested in Active shield and maxed it out (so only hits lower stamina) Got rid of sun and stars, and now use the shield to heal up.

Only problem I have seen so far is that the endrega (and possibly other monsters) can't get close enough to hit me with their normal attacks, so I'm In a safe little bubble loosing no stamina and gaining no health. of course on the plus side, that means unlimited exploding shields :p

make sure to equip the skill on your character skill tree. i know a couple of people who ulocked it but didnt equip and couldnt figure out why it wasn't working..

Only recently unlocked Quen's Active Shield skill.

Axxi's Puppet and Quen's Active Shield are pretty much the only Signs you need on Death March, lol. They're perfect.

Yrden's Magic Trap and Supercharged Glyphs are also nuts, but that's a lot of skill points to invest.

Axii and Quen definitely,

Then griffin gear for huge sign intensity boosts.

This way even though you're not leveling the other signs you're still getting amazing bonuses and even more amazing bonuses for quen and axii.

Griffen helps a tonne with enemies like Noon/Nightwraiths that can only be weakened in yrden too giving it huge duration and slow.

Axii and Quen definitely,

Then griffin gear for huge sign intensity boosts.

This way even though you're not leveling the other signs you're still getting amazing bonuses and even more amazing bonuses for quen and axii.

Griffen helps a tonne with enemies like Noon/Nightwraiths that can only be weakened in yrden too giving it huge duration and slow.

Griffen gear definitely.

I actually respec'd and took out all my skills in the Igni tree because I find myself not using that Sign much anymore.

I feel like Yrden, Axii, and Quen are so overpowered at some point that Aard and Igni aren't really needed in combat that much. Especially when the Dancing Star Bomb is more powerful than Igni.

Griffen gear definitely.

I actually respec'd and took out all my skills in the Igni tree because I find myself not using that Sign much anymore.

I feel like Yrden, Axii, and Quen are so overpowered at some point that Aard and Igni aren't really needed in combat that much. Especially when the Dancing Star Bomb is more powerful than Igni.

^ THIS. (BTW, that whole "Yrden vs any number of Wraiths" thing is definitely a viable strategy throughout the game, even on DM. ;)

I actually quite enjoy the fact that it's well worth changing the entire point allocation & combat strategy halfway through the game. It was like a breath of fresh air -- kind of like changing armor & combat stances freely in Dark Souls, or deciding to work on a completely different skill tree in an Elder Scrolls game.

One can find the the Dancing Star upgrades just by thoroughly exploring Velen, and Axii Puppet eliminates the need for any arrow-deflection points (assuming you have cover nearby -- otherwise keep Quen up).

No green skills are needed at any point, from what I can tell thus far. Seems to be general agreement on that at least.

I could certainly use more generic red mutagen drops though... I'm sure I'll have crafted a Greater at some point, but blue & green are the only ones that seem to drop early/mid-game outside of the rare Alghoul event.

^ THIS. (BTW, that whole "Yrden vs any number of Wraiths" thing is definitely a viable strategy throughout the game, even on DM. ;)

I actually quite enjoy the fact that it's well worth changing the entire point allocation & combat strategy halfway through the game. It was like a breath of fresh air -- kind of like changing armor & combat stances freely in Dark Souls, or deciding to work on a completely different skill tree in an Elder Scrolls game.

One can find the the Dancing Star upgrades just by thoroughly exploring Velen, and Axii Puppet eliminates the need for any arrow-deflection points (assuming you have cover nearby -- otherwise keep Quen up).

No green skills are needed at any point, from what I can tell thus far. Seems to be general agreement on that at least.

I could certainly use more generic red mutagen drops though... I'm sure I'll have crafted a Greater at some point, but blue & green are the only ones that seem to drop early/mid-game outside of the rare Alghoul event.

Yrden vs Anything is amazing, lol. Well, when upgrade and it deals bleeding damage to enemies isn't the trap.

I hear you. I completely got rid of my Igni skills, my Sun and Stars, my 500 extra points of vitality. By the time you're Level 10-12, those skills become worthless, in my opinion.

It does indeed seem a lot of people don't care about the green (alchemy) skills. Which makes sense since oils and decoctions aren't that necessary in this game to be honest. The only decent skill in the alchemy tree that I can see myself wanting is the one that allows you to carry MORE BOMBS, but you'd have to invest 8 points in the tree to unlock that skill, then another 5 points to max that skill out. It's not worth it.

Red mutagens definitely do seem a little to scarce, and I loot everything so it's not like I'm overlooking them or forgetting about them.

I'm trying to figure out if I need anything more from the Combat tree.

It does indeed seem a lot of people don't care about the green (alchemy) skills. Which makes sense since oils and decoctions aren't that necessary in this game to be honest. The only decent skill in the alchemy tree that I can see myself wanting is the one that allows you to carry MORE BOMBS, but you'd have to invest 8 points in the tree to unlock that skill, then another 5 points to max that skill out. It's not worth it.

I disagree on the green tree, I picked up poisoned blades (proper name?) to rank 5, the poison bonus is huge on the stronger enemies and makes shorter work of long drawn out battles

I disagree on the green tree, I picked up poisoned blades (proper name?) to rank 5, the poison bonus is huge on the stronger enemies and makes shorter work of long drawn out battles

Thanks for the tip! I smell a "respec & reload" session coming on this weekend, just to have some fun with this... :)

• 1 year later...

I am kind of glad I chose this difficulty as I can imagine it would be a little button mashing on lower level and just winning, but am i missing somewhere to get XP, I have yet had A quest at the same level as me all are higher ususally at least 1-2, so managable but tough, i dont mind the death as there is not really a penalty....other than the loading screen

Can anyone offer any advice, i have more points to level up but can only use 3 skills currently at level 5, maxed out quen and also use the 2 green skills, so do you just store the points or are you meant to keep switching which skills are active?

And is this why the game is stated to get easier at levels 12 onwards as you can have more skills?

I am kind of glad I chose this difficulty as I can imagine it would be a little button mashing on lower level and just winning, but am i missing somewhere to get XP, I have yet had A quest at the same level as me all are higher ususally at least 1-2, so managable but tough, i dont mind the death as there is not really a penalty....other than the loading screen

Can anyone offer any advice, i have more points to level up but can only use 3 skills currently at level 5, maxed out quen and also use the 2 green skills, so do you just store the points or are you meant to keep switching which skills are active?

And is this why the game is stated to get easier at levels 12 onwards as you can have more skills?

XP comes naturally through story quests. That's the main source. Side quests are there for the experience and narratives, they don't give a lot of XP. Killing hostiles and clearing Points of Interest will net some decent amounts...but it's mainly story quests.

It's up to you. Store the points or start unlocking skills that'll help unlock the further tiers.

And yes, to an extent. The actual difficulty curve just naturally subsides after the Bloody Baron's story arc.

I personally don't think, neither do the core statistics, Alchemy skills are useful or advantageous in a NG playthrough. Which do you have active?

I'd recommend the first three skills worth having are Axii's Delusion (for speech checks), Quen's Exploiding Shield (will work best when later paired with Quen's Active Shield), and Fast Attack's Muscle Memory.

The only decent Alchemy skills that are worth utilizing on a first playthrough are those for bombs. Heightened Tolerance, Acquired Tolereance and the like are only really suitable for a full Alchemy-based build, and the numbers show that Alchemy-based builds are more beneficial in a NG+ playthrough where you already have most if not all of the potion, bomb, decoction, and oil recipes.